• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why no supressors in CA.IA,MA and MI ?

Yooper

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
IIRC,many ranges in europe require supressors.
My uncle lives in Finland, and he said in many places in Europe, it's considered "rude" to shoot an un-suppressed firearm.

I think this has been an anti-gun trick decades in the making.... 1st, make suppressors difficult to obtain, 2nd (decades later), file lawsuits against gun ranges for noise pollution. :cuss:

kyleplusitunes

imported post

Tao wrote:
I think someone (*cough*kyle*) has been watching too many hollywood movies. Its an easy trap to fall into, the same one the artards who support the old laws fall into.

This is one place europe has it right, when it comes to guns. Imagine what a wonderful place it would be, if "silencers"# were as commonly available as slings or replacement grips. Hunting, and pretty much all the shooting sports would be much more accessible, and downright pleasant.

#- 'Silencer' is a huge misnomer. Sure, you can muffle the explosive noise of the powder burning, but that bullet, in most cases, is still going to travel at a supersonic speed, causing a sonic crack all the way to the target. You need specialty ammo and equipment to really get major calibers down to reasonable levels, and the levels of attenuation in the movies (pew pew) are just laughable.

so you're saying i shouldnt be getting all my facts from hollywood movies?

G

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
Tao wrote:
I think someone (*cough*kyle*) has been watching too many hollywood movies. Its an easy trap to fall into, the same one the artards who support the old laws fall into.

This is one place europe has it right, when it comes to guns. Imagine what a wonderful place it would be, if "silencers"# were as commonly available as slings or replacement grips. Hunting, and pretty much all the shooting sports would be much more accessible, and downright pleasant.

#- 'Silencer' is a huge misnomer. Sure, you can muffle the explosive noise of the powder burning, but that bullet, in most cases, is still going to travel at a supersonic speed, causing a sonic crack all the way to the target. You need specialty ammo and equipment to really get major calibers down to reasonable levels, and the levels of attenuation in the movies (pew pew) are just laughable.

so you're saying i shouldnt be getting all my facts from hollywood movies?
Not if that's the facts you use to formulate a Clintonista opinion like this:

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I might not know all the facts about a supressor however, to me the only thing that one would be used for is to conceal a gunshot, I am all for them being illegal based on this.

ia from my understanding has some pretty absurd gun laws, so does Michigan.

Chicago is also at the heart of the Midwest, and look at their gun laws.

all I know is if someone in my hood shoots a gun, I want it to wake me up so I can get to the proper area to protect or defend myself.

I could see a prosecutor tearing apart any defense in any state if a suppressor was used in a shooting.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Everyone should have a suppressor and they should be available at Walmart. That way you can buy a $3.27 box of subsonic .22lr ammo along with a pre threaded walther p-22 and the suppressor. I bought one and am currently waiting on the ATF to decide if I getapproved or not. They cashed my check last month.

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Everyone should have a suppressor and they should be available at Walmart. That way you can buy a $3.27 box of subsonic .22lr ammo along with a pre threaded walther p-22 and the suppressor. I bought one and am currently waiting on the ATF to decide if I getapproved or not. They cashed my check last month.
So the Sheriff finally signed your form...

geojohn

imported post

Even crazier is the situation in Washington State, where we are allowed to purchase and own suppressors, but it is a gross misdemeanor to actually use one to suppress the noise of a firearm.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
So the Sheriff finally signed your form...

He signed it, but modified the form.

If this one goes through fast I may buy a suppressor for the glock I just bought off glocktalk from a cop.