Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight - Attempted Home Invasion at My House

Post imported post

About60 minutes ago, as I was typing away on the keyboard, I vaguely heard a man's voice outside and the person seemed to be moaning. My sense was that the voice was coming from outsidemy neighbor's home next door. I dismissed its importance. Then I heard it again with some muffled speaking. Again, it sounded like next door. I thought maybe my neighbor was outside yakking away with someone, which he does on Wednesdays. He's usually pretty quiet. Brushed it off again.

Then the voice, maybe like moaning, came again. This time it seemed like it was from my front door! Again, the moan. Male. Yes, outside my door. Definitely. Yes.

I decided to put on my pants. Then grabbed my gun/holster and wished I had another loaded gun around, instead of my J-frame Airweight...then heard the voice again!. I eased over and looked out the front window, which is at a right angle to the front door. Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Uh-oh.

I KNOW that the male is outside my door. I hear him moving around. That means it cannot be my neighbor. The thought pops into my head that the male voice is drunk. I've had this situation before, about 25 years ago. Then, I pulled my Colt Python and aimed it at the doorway waiting for someone to break in. I did not shoot then. Didn't have to. The guy never broke in.

But this, tonight,is the real thing.....is it a drunk? Is it a home invader? I don't know. Can't tell.

I have my hand on my holstered gun as I ponder my next move....I think about going out the front door. Then I think about going out the back door and circling around...

Then, I pick up the phone and call 911 and quietly report what I'd heard. The dispatcher says she'll send someone out. While waiting, I wonder if the guy is still there. I hear the male voice again.Yep, still there...

An LEO does show up in about 5 minutes. I see him exit the carand he addresses someone in the direction of my front door while he approaches. The officer starts talking loudly to the man near my door, asking him for ID.

Turns out it's a guy so drunk he can't stand up, doesn't know his name and has no ID. Doesn't know where he lives either.

The LEO arranges for an EMS to pick the drunk up.

I thank the officer for coming out. He replies, "No problem."

I'm glad I learned from the experiences of others. I really didn't need to go outside. I really didn't need to even talk to the intruder. Just needed to make a phone call.

Didn't even need the gun, really. The guy was no threat. Just a drunk.

Note: I'm borrowing a Subject line from nobucks when he had his drunk guy incident about 7 months ago.

Last Night - Attempted Home Invasion at My House

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/29591.html

Post imported post

why the hell would you post that in such a way,did you accompany it with a false police report stateing home invation?...democrats just dont understand um:?

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Note: I'm borrowing a Subject line from nobucks when he had his drunk guy incident about 7 months ago.

Why? This makes zero sense.....
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Post imported post

How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status? (Please include x-rays, CTs, MRIs, a signed letter from your doctor stating your general health,) but most of all - I need an up to date report from your shrink regarding your mental health including: number of shock treatments, lobotomies, medication list and most important of all - please state why there is a computer in your padded room.

Banned

Post imported post

You did need your gun. Something was amiss, and you did not know what it was.

You were smart not to go outside. You had a good defensive position and were armed. Calling 911 was the way to go. If the cops responded in time (or, if it turned out to be nothing), perfect. If not, again, you had a good defensive position and were armed. You could effectively deal with the situation if the need arose.

Banned

Post imported post

open4years wrote:
    How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status?
    +1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well. The rest... -1

JMO

McX

Post imported post

close one. good thing you had a firearm to protect your house, and you. at least the threat remained outside, on this occassion. next time?

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    HankT wrote:

+1

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    HankT wrote:

It makes perfect sense if the purpose is to make the statement that a gun isn't needed to thwart a home invasion... all that is needed is to call 911.

Hank... I'm not saying that the incident you related did not happen... or happen exactly as you describe. I am saying that your credibility rating is extremely low on my side of the monitor screen.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    .45acp wrote:
    HankT wrote:

It makes perfect sense if the purpose is to make the statement that a gun isn't needed to thwart a home invasion... all that is needed is to call 911.

Hank... I'm not saying that the incident you related did not happen... or happen exactly as you describe. I am saying that your credibility rating is extremely low on my side of the monitor screen.
    Paralipsis strategem, eh?

Expected. Weak. Called.

Post imported post

Hank, I think you did well, but would say that your situation was different from mine, in which the guy was trying to kick down the door.

Had the situation been the same as yours, I believe I would have acted as you did.

Well done.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

LOL. Just another way to start an argument.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Bikenut wrote:
    .45acp wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Paralipsis strategem, eh?

Expected. Weak. Called.
    Hank... you didn't call... you sent me a PM.

No stratagem Hank... simply told you like it is right up front.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    open4years wrote:
    How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status?
    +1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well.* The rest... -1

JMO

If you scroll down to my post and see Hank's questions to me, you will understand.

Banned

Post imported post

open4years wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    open4years wrote:
    +1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well. The rest... -1

JMO

If you scroll down to my post and see Hank's questions to me, you will understand.
    I understand. I was the one who pointed out his cross-examination to you. That's why I +1ed the first part of your post. Just, IMO, the second part went overboard.

Again, JMO, make your point, but don't sink to his level.

Post imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
    why the hell would you post that in such a way,did you accompany it with a false police report stateing home invation?...democrats just dont understand um:?
    WTF?

False Police Report?

He called 911 and told them there was someone outside his door that MIGHT be trying to break into his house.

Where is there any false police report?

Cops came out to investigate what very well could have been a burglar, turned out to be someone who was stupid drunk.

You don't wait until someone actually kicks in the door to call the police, unless you are a situation where the kick the door in before you know they are there, then you call the police and ambulance/coroner to come arrest, or treat/carry awaythe intruder that just got shot.

Banned

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    brokenbarrel wrote:
    WTF?

False Police Report?

He called 911 and told them there was someone outside his door that MIGHT be trying to break into his house.

Where is there any false police report?

Cops came out to investigate what very well could have been a burglar, turned out to be someone who was stupid drunk.

You don't wait until someone actually kicks in the door to call the police, unless you are a situation where the kick the door in before you know they are there, then you call the police and ambulance/coroner to come arrest, or treat/carry awaythe intruder that just got shot.
    He was complaining about the thread title. It was quite deceptive.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I'll go with that.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I think Hank was drunk when he wrote that.

Post imported post

You would be drunk all the time if you were from Jersey, too.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Then grabbed my gun/holster and wished I had another loaded gun around,instead of my J-frame Airweight...
    Then, I pulled my Colt Python and aimed it at the doorway...
    I have my hand on my holstered gun as I ponder my next move....
    BS anyone? I will now stop feeding the

[img] http://brians-mnm-wiki.wikispaces.co...Cave_troll.jpg [/img]

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:

You were smart not to go outside. You had a good defensive position and were armed. Calling 911 was the way to go. If the cops responded in time (or, if it turned out to be nothing), perfect. If not, again, you had a good defensive position and were armed. You could effectively deal with the situation if the need arose.
    Yah, I see that point. But it depends on the perspective. If everything had happened exactly the same as it did--except I don't have a handgun--what would have been the result? The same!

Ergo, gun not really needed.

OTOH, for my sense of well-being and to manage my fear of possibly being the victim of a break in......the gun was definitely useful ......and therefore needed.

The temptation to go outside wasn't very strong. I had good position and it made no sense to trade what I had for an unknown. I've read enough stories here and elsewhere where the home occupant did go outside. Most of the time, the folks who critique the stories end up realizing that staying inside is almost always the better move.

I did think of a couple of things that I did wrong. But, overall, I knew there was a high probability that it was a drunk kind of deal. As I mentioned in the nobucks thread, I've had one of those before, when like his event, a drunk was actually pushing on my door. I was on the other side with a handgun and, though I will never know for sure, I would have shot the man if he'd come in. And regretted it for the rest of my life because the man was no threat at all.

Ironbar wrote:
    Why do you say that, Ironbar?

Banned

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    eye95 wrote:

Yah, I see that point. But it depends on the perspective. If everything had happened exactly the same as it did--except I don't have a handgun--what would have been the result? The same!

OTOH, for my sense of well-being and to manage my fear of possibly being the victim of a break in......the gun was definitely useful ......and therefore needed.

The temptation to go outside wasn't very strong. I had good position and it made no sense to trade what I had for an unknown. I've read enough stories here and elsewhere where the home occupant did go outside. Most of the time, the folks who critique the stories end up realizing that staying inside is almost always the better move.

I did think of a couple of things that I did wrong. But, overall, I knew there was a high probability that it was a drunk kind of deal. As I mentioned in the nobucks thread, I've had one of those before, when like his event, a drunk was actually pushing on my door. I was on the other side with a handgun and, though I will never know for sure, I would have shot the man if he'd come in. And regretted it for the rest of my life because the man was no threat at all.

Ironbar wrote:
    Most people who are murdered didn't need the gun the night before. Who cares about having a gun when you find out with 20/20 hindsight that you didn't need it. The concern is not having a gun when you do need it.

At the time, before you knew the outcome, probability was high that you would need the gun.

Before Schroedinger opens his box, he needs to be ready for a dead cat and ready for a live cat. Until he opens the box, both cats exist.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    eye95 wrote:

Ironbar wrote:
    Most people who are murdered didn't need the gun the night before. Who cares about having a gun when you find out with 20/20 hindsight that you didn't need it. The concern is not having a gun when you do need it.

At the time, before you knew the outcome, probability was high that you would need the gun.

Before Schroedinger opens his box, he needs to be ready for a dead cat and ready for a live cat. Until he opens the box, both cats exist.
    Nah. The prob was that it was no threat.

Again, if everything happened the same last night, except I had no gun ....no gun needed. You cannot get around that. Next time? Might be different, of course. That's why I own firearms.

And in the Shroedinger thought experiment....there is only one cat. Two (potential) states--1 cat. One, and only one, of the states will be present upon observation of the interior of the box as the probability wave function collapses.

Hmmm, if I put a drunken home invader in a big box....with a radioactive isotope-based trigger attached to a vial of poison....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast