• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tonight - Attempted Home Invasion at My House

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

About60 minutes ago, as I was typing away on the keyboard, I vaguely heard a man's voice outside and the person seemed to be moaning. My sense was that the voice was coming from outsidemy neighbor's home next door. I dismissed its importance. Then I heard it again with some muffled speaking. Again, it sounded like next door. I thought maybe my neighbor was outside yakking away with someone, which he does on Wednesdays. He's usually pretty quiet. Brushed it off again.

Then the voice, maybe like moaning, came again. This time it seemed like it was from my front door! Again, the moan. Male. Yes, outside my door. Definitely. Yes.

I decided to put on my pants. Then grabbed my gun/holster and wished I had another loaded gun around, instead of my J-frame Airweight...then heard the voice again!. I eased over and looked out the front window, which is at a right angle to the front door. Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Uh-oh.

I KNOW that the male is outside my door. I hear him moving around. That means it cannot be my neighbor. The thought pops into my head that the male voice is drunk. I've had this situation before, about 25 years ago. Then, I pulled my Colt Python and aimed it at the doorway waiting for someone to break in. I did not shoot then. Didn't have to. The guy never broke in.

But this, tonight,is the real thing.....is it a drunk? Is it a home invader? I don't know. Can't tell.

I have my hand on my holstered gun as I ponder my next move....I think about going out the front door. Then I think about going out the back door and circling around...

Then, I pick up the phone and call 911 and quietly report what I'd heard. The dispatcher says she'll send someone out. While waiting, I wonder if the guy is still there. I hear the male voice again.Yep, still there...

An LEO does show up in about 5 minutes. I see him exit the carand he addresses someone in the direction of my front door while he approaches. The officer starts talking loudly to the man near my door, asking him for ID.

Turns out it's a guy so drunk he can't stand up, doesn't know his name and has no ID. Doesn't know where he lives either.

The LEO arranges for an EMS to pick the drunk up.

I thank the officer for coming out. He replies, "No problem."

I'm glad I learned from the experiences of others. I really didn't need to go outside. I really didn't need to even talk to the intruder. Just needed to make a phone call.

Didn't even need the gun, really. The guy was no threat. Just a drunk.

Note: I'm borrowing a Subject line from nobucks when he had his drunk guy incident about 7 months ago.

Last Night - Attempted Home Invasion at My House

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/29591.html

open4years

imported post

How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status? (Please include x-rays, CTs, MRIs, a signed letter from your doctor stating your general health,) but most of all - I need an up to date report from your shrink regarding your mental health including: number of shock treatments, lobotomies, medication list and most important of all - please state why there is a computer in your padded room.

eye95

imported post

You did need your gun. Something was amiss, and you did not know what it was.

You were smart not to go outside. You had a good defensive position and were armed. Calling 911 was the way to go. If the cops responded in time (or, if it turned out to be nothing), perfect. If not, again, you had a good defensive position and were armed. You could effectively deal with the situation if the need arose.

eye95

imported post

open4years wrote:
How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status?
+1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well. The rest... -1

JMO

M

McX

imported post

close one. good thing you had a firearm to protect your house, and you. at least the threat remained outside, on this occassion. next time?

B

Bikenut

imported post

.45acp wrote:
HankT wrote:
Note: I'm borrowing a Subject line from nobucks when he had his drunk guy incident about 7 months ago.

Why? This makes zero sense.....
It makes perfect sense if the purpose is to make the statement that a gun isn't needed to thwart a home invasion... all that is needed is to call 911.

Hank... I'm not saying that the incident you related did not happen... or happen exactly as you describe. I am saying that your credibility rating is extremely low on my side of the monitor screen.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
.45acp wrote:
HankT wrote:

It makes perfect sense if the purpose is to make the statement that a gun isn't needed to thwart a home invasion... all that is needed is to call 911.

Hank... I'm not saying that the incident you related did not happen... or happen exactly as you describe. I am saying that your credibility rating is extremely low on my side of the monitor screen.

Paralipsis strategem, eh?

Expected. Weak. Called.

nobucks

imported post

Hank, I think you did well, but would say that your situation was different from mine, in which the guy was trying to kick down the door.

Had the situation been the same as yours, I believe I would have acted as you did.

Well done.

B

Bikenut

imported post

HankT wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
.45acp wrote:
HankT wrote:

Paralipsis strategem, eh?

Expected. Weak. Called.
Hank... you didn't call... you sent me a PM.

No stratagem Hank... simply told you like it is right up front.

open4years

imported post

eye95 wrote:
open4years wrote:
How old was he? How tall? What did he weigh? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your current health status?
+1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well.  The rest... -1

JMO

If you scroll down to my post and see Hank's questions to me, you will understand.

eye95

imported post

open4years wrote:
eye95 wrote:
open4years wrote:
+1

That portion of your post made your point incredibly well. The rest... -1

JMO

If you scroll down to my post and see Hank's questions to me, you will understand.
I understand. I was the one who pointed out his cross-examination to you. That's why I +1ed the first part of your post. Just, IMO, the second part went overboard.

Again, JMO, make your point, but don't sink to his level.

Decoligny

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
why the hell would you post that in such a way,did you accompany it with a false police report stateing home invation?...democrats just dont understand um:?

WTF?

False Police Report?

He called 911 and told them there was someone outside his door that MIGHT be trying to break into his house.

Where is there any false police report?

Cops came out to investigate what very well could have been a burglar, turned out to be someone who was stupid drunk.

You don't wait until someone actually kicks in the door to call the police, unless you are a situation where the kick the door in before you know they are there, then you call the police and ambulance/coroner to come arrest, or treat/carry awaythe intruder that just got shot.

eye95

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
brokenbarrel wrote:
why the hell would you post that in such a way,did you accompany it with a false police report stateing home invation?...democrats just dont understand um:?

WTF?

False Police Report?

He called 911 and told them there was someone outside his door that MIGHT be trying to break into his house.

Where is there any false police report?

Cops came out to investigate what very well could have been a burglar, turned out to be someone who was stupid drunk.

You don't wait until someone actually kicks in the door to call the police, unless you are a situation where the kick the door in before you know they are there, then you call the police and ambulance/coroner to come arrest, or treat/carry awaythe intruder that just got shot.
He was complaining about the thread title. It was quite deceptive.