• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Texas Open Carry Movement Dead?

Blinn79

imported post

I was on here quite a bit when the Texas movement was strong awhile back, and I literally informed people about this website, and the movement on a daily basis (as I was working for Gander Mountain in the fire arms department at the time). I was excited, and so were almost every gun owner, or new gun owner who came in the store. I couldn't believe how many people thought it was a great idea! I wrote letters to the Texas senator, and along with my districts house rep. I wrote letters to Rick Perry (Gov.), and anyone else I could think of. It seemed like Texas was going strong, and was going to get open carry!

Then it just seemed like it all fell apart. Did everyone give up?

Honestly, I had not thought about it much since a year ago, until someone told me today that California is voting on legalizing marijuana....

I stopped and thought... wait a second... people thought that responsible citizens, who have passed an FBI back ground check, and have a concealed handgun license, and already carry concealed, would be a bad idea to simply allow them the option to open carry, BUT, it is a good idea to allow EVERY numb nut in California to be able to legally buy, and smoke marijuana? And if it has made it to a vote, then it made it further then "open carry" made it here in Texas. I'm sorry, but that REALLY pisses me off! I can't openly, responsibly carry a handgun, but some stoner in Cali can get high? What the hell is wrong with people now?

Please tell me someone has a upcoming plan of action or a new approach to get open carry to pass in Texas.

Glock17

imported post

Blinn79 wrote:
I was on here quite a bit when the Texas movement was strong awhile back, and I literally informed people about this website, and the movement on a daily basis (as I was working for Gander Mountain in the fire arms department at the time). I was excited, and so were almost every gun owner, or new gun owner who came in the store. I couldn't believe how many people thought it was a great idea! I wrote letters to the Texas senator, and along with my districts house rep. I wrote letters to Rick Perry (Gov.), and anyone else I could think of. It seemed like Texas was going strong, and was going to get open carry!

Then it just seemed like it all fell apart. Did everyone give up?

Honestly, I had not thought about it much since a year ago, until someone told me today that California is voting on legalizing marijuana....

I stopped and thought... wait a second... people thought that responsible citizens, who have passed an FBI back ground check, and have a concealed handgun license, and already carry concealed, would be a bad idea to simply allow them the option to open carry, BUT, it is a good idea to allow EVERY numb nut in California to be able to legally buy, and smoke marijuana? And if it has made it to a vote, then it made it further then "open carry" made it here in Texas. I'm sorry, but that REALLY pisses me off! I can't openly, responsibly carry a handgun, but some stoner in Cali can get high? What the hell is wrong with people now?

Please tell me someone has a upcoming plan of action or a new approach to get open carry to pass in Texas.

Well to me freedom is freedom. One form of freedom seems to offend you. But I suspect you have a right to be pissed off if you want. Truth is battle lines for any kind of freedom in this country should be praised. I don't use cannabis but I don't care if a fellow American chooses to. Its freedom of choice. Free market and most of all this is America. I don't see why we need to be telling people what they can or can't put in there bodies.

Moving on to the main subject. It seems like after everyone was getting ready to vote for your female candidate there in Texas. She decided to go on to the Glenn Beck monkey show. He politically destroyed her with some nonsense about her being a 9/11 truther which she never said she was. Honestly I think she should have fired back at him on that. But then again Glenn does believe he is God. And so do many of these Numb nuts your talking about. I don't have any political leanings myself. I believe only in the Constitution and any form of freedom that harms no one else. Unless of course your defending your self. And in that case all bets are off.

Main problem I see in this issue is most people go along to get along. They have a hard time seeing Texas as an open carry state. But I hope one of these days the Lone Star is an open carry state. I think Texans deserve the Right to Bare Arms.

2+2=5 1984

nobama

imported post

The problem is. The people that want to make pot legal, are mostly the same people that want to outlaw ownership of firearms. Thats what you get when liberals breed.

Glock17

imported post

wethepeople wrote:
The problem is. The people that want to make pot legal, are mostly the same people that want to outlaw ownership of firearms. Thats what you get when liberals breed.

Yeah I can see that. Its hard to get most people to except freedom as a whole-listic thing. They want to protect some freedoms while others get tossed aside. I am the opposite. Either your free or your a slave. Period

2+2=5 1984

denwego

imported post

I certainly hope it's not dead! Now that I'm back home after a few years in OC-allowed states, I'm looking forward to the next legislative session to help the effort. It's a kink in the armor that we can only try every two years, but them's the breaks.

Over on the Texas CHL forums, we've been having a discussion about people OCing rifles to the tea parties in Austin recently. I know long gun OC has had the kibosh put on it here, but it continues to show people working on it here in Texas in the way we can for now. Plenty of people (the majority, namely) have been very happy that someone carried in Austin and would be happy in turn to support OC reform again in 2011, it seems to me.

Hunterdave

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Openly carried rifles, openly advocated drug use and open display of alternative lifestyles are all potential corruptions of the image of the open carry movement that the owner/moderator are trying to create.
You cannot extract OC from 2A in its entirety . If you do, both fall flat.
Unabridged 2A is in all our interest. To dismiss any 2A issue is shooting
ourselves in the foot, so to speak!
While I understand this site is dedicated to OC, a loss in any 2A issue,
is to our detriment. The ultimate goal is to make an abridged right
unabridged, OC is a lynch-pin within that goal.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

the open carry movement in TX is not dead. new state elections for the house occur this november, so until we know the winners and who we have to talk to, it makes little sense to do any hard push at this time. some of us are still active in talking to the people, i do it alot, but until the session next year gets close to starting, not much will happen.

OC4me

imported post

Does anybody suspect gun-owner apathy while waiting on the outcome of the McDonald case? I'm thinking that incorporation will inevitably lead to the striking down of anti-open carry laws nationwide (I'm an optimist). Perhaps this has taken some of the wind out of the sails of the legislative fix being pursued.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Openly carried rifles, openly advocated drug use and open display of alternative lifestyles are all potential corruptions of the image of the open carry movement that the owner/moderator are trying to create
How much ransom are you demanding for the return of the real Doug? :p

Yata hey

Blinn79

imported post

Well I am glad to hear it is not dead. When are these "turkeys" up for re-election (in Texas)? I would think one of these legislators (or two) would jump at the idea of passing an "open carry option for current and future CHL holders" at the opportunity of snatching up the 60,000 or so signatures we had for the open carry petition to hopefully get an extra 60K votes.

Plus its too darn hot (and humid in Houston) in the summer to conceal carry. Especially for us big guys (I'm 6'2" and 300 lbs).

This is one of the few political issues I will throw some of my hard earned money behind in support of.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
OC4me wrote:
Does anybody suspect gun-owner apathy while waiting on the outcome of the McDonald case? I'm thinking that incorporation will inevitably lead to the striking down of anti-open carry laws nationwide (I'm an optimist). Perhaps this has taken some of the wind out of the sails of the legislative fix being pursued.

I know I'm waiting with bated breath. :shock:

I think this is true of gun owners throughout the country. We just had our state 2A Rally at the capitol on Saturday (4/24). While we had a crowd of about 200 on a rainy, windy day we were hoping for more. I think some stayed away because of the weather, I KNOW some stayed away because of laziness (too far to drive); but I also suspect many stayed away because they saw incorporation of the 2nd Amendment to the states some time this summer. Anyone reading the transcripts
( http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1521.pdf ) would think the same.

Yes, I think many are saying "Well, we've won" and are growing apathetic. It's a shame, really.

OC4me

imported post

It may be a bit too early to say apathy. Many of us are just waiting until the decision to see where we stand. Sure incorporation is a given, but beyond that, how the decision will hurt (or help) is unknown. Like the Heller decision, we won 9-0 on the individual rights question, only to prevail 5-4 on whether or not DC's draconian laws violated the Second Amendment.

It would be a travesty for gun rights if we got a symbolic victory with incorporation, only to see the incorporated right rendered meaningless if so-called 'reasonable restrictions' were deemed constitutional.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I know that myself and many of my friends continue to work on OC. We write letters and call our state representatives, talk with friends and anti's about OC. Hopefully by the time of the next legislative session we will have a huge ground swell of support.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Bookman wrote:
...Anyone reading the transcripts...
Wow! Thanks for posting that link. I agree that it looks good for us (they almost seem to be saying "I want to support this, just give me a good reason") but that's no reason to sit on our laurels. What if they decide to accept Mr. Feldman's arguments that the states must only provide 'reasonable' ability to defend oneself? I've heard others say "I believe in gun rights, but I draw the line at... guns outside the home, open carry, concealed carry, or full auto, or AK-type pistols, or bazookas", or whatever. If you agree that there is a 'line' then one must also accept that the only ones allowed to draw that line would be the states. Basically a "shall not be infringed by the Federal government" interpretation.

I could easily see a decision that could be used to overturn NFA restrictions or the School Zone act, but be worthless against state and local law.

Edited for: typo

nobama

imported post

Never trust anyone who opens with "I support the 2nd amendment" Thats a sure sign of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Give me proof.