Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "No Firearms" stickers... any legal weight? Jackson

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    First of all, if the answers to my questions can be found elsewhere on the site, please let me know without ripping me to shreds. I did several searches and couldn't seem to find what i was looking for.

    First of all, this is more of a concealed carry question. I love to open carry but while working I have to keep it concealed.

    I live and work in Idaho, but make a trip to Jackson nearly every day. The other day I ended up stopping at the hospital there, St. Johns. I noticed stickers on the doors that said "No firearms: violators subject to arrest and prosecution." Now I have read through the laws in Wyoming so that I would be aware of what i can and cannot do while carrying in the state, but that still leaves me with this question:

    Do these stickers or signs have any legal weight? I know in Idaho and Utah these stickers, when posted on a private business have no legal weight. If found to be carrying you may be asked to leave, but not really be prosecuted. unless you refuse to leave, and then it's trespassing. I apologize for being a newbie, but I promise i have exhausted my own resources looking for the answer, and just seeking a little help now. Thanks all.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheridan, WY, ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    raptor5k wrote:
    Do these stickers or signs have any legal weight?
    Nope, no legal weight. Same as elsewhere: you can be asked to leave and trespassed if you refuse.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Awesome. This is what I assumed but wanted to double check so as to not break the law. Thanks for the reply!

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    The Count wrote:
    raptor5k wrote:
    Do these stickers or signs have any legal weight?
    Nope, no legal weight. Same as elsewhere: you can be asked to leave and trespassed if you refuse.
    Please provide a cite for the above.

    And, Is there a "legal" distinction between the aforementioned "stickers" and a "sign"?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    raptor5k wrote:
    Awesome. This is what I assumed but wanted to double check so as to not break the law. Thanks for the reply!
    He may very well be right, but if you are going to be carrying a firearm and are unsure of the laws, you can't just take one anonymous person's word on the internet for it. The possibilities for police contact are very high.

    That's just one piece of your quest to find out if what you want to do is actually legal. Google is your friend. I'd try that step next.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Casper, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    I had addressed this question somewhat regarding the Cheyenne hospital posting similar signs. Here's the text from the other post, and good luck!

    WyoRenegade wrote:
    While I am no attorney, I have bounced this same question off friends and acquaintances that are either current/former LEO's, or that are attorneys and have knowledge of such things. Here is what I have been told, and the principles I work from.

    Many of the folks answering the question in this forum are operating on the assumption that the hospital in Cheyenne is indeed Private Property, and thus subject to the same protection. However, this MAY NOT be the case.

    I live in Casper, and the main hospital here (Wyoming Medical Center) isOWNED by Natrona County, but is MANAGED/OPERATED by a third-party non-profit entity. Thus, carrying on the grounds or inside the facilities that are owned by the county are subject to the same rules as all public places, in that it is NOT generally unlawful to carry your firearm (concealed or otherwise). The ONLY thing that may modify this is if the "policy" was enacted by an entity lawfully charged and authorized by the County to make such a change, such as the County Commissioners. In some situations, I know that the Sheriff's office generally has some leeway there to institute a "temporary" or "extenuating circumstances" gun-free zone, but such would be precisely that: temporary, and likely for damned good reason.

    Since I am not familiar enough with the situation at the hospital in Cheyenne, I can't answer this one with 100% certainty.

    In general, however, I approach such things as many others have advised; keep your cool (or carry concealed, if you have a permit) and folks will likely leave you alone. However, should you end up in a sticky situation, it's always best to comply. This does not mean that you cannot or should not gently assert yourself, but you don't want to be the subject of a call to the police department about an "armed, argumentative man at the hospital that won't leave." Let's just say, you'd more than likely be setting yourself upto have a bad time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •