• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarksville PD say OC is Illegal

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
v8shoguy wrote:
Just talked to the ISP firearms team. I have been told that "terms thereof" means the terms under which the license was issued. He said that the officer would have to have knowledge of KY's carry laws in order to recognize my right to OC with a KY CDWL. He said than an officer who was uncertain would most likely arrest me and let the court sort it out. I told him that the city told me that they issue concealed weapons permits, and he told me that was false, that the state only issues a LTCH. His recommendation is that I get one to remove all doubt. This is probably what I will do in the near future.

Slightly related side note, who has the authority to "take" your LTCH? I was threatened by the officer that he could take mine, or anyone's for OC. I highly doubt that your every-day, average LEO in IN has the ability to revoke a LTCH on a whim.
The problem I have with the bold part, suppose I'm carrying on an out of state license that lets me carry into areas that Indiana law does not? What then?

BGA,

I emailed MSP for the same thing (me carrying in Michigan on an Indiana LTCH), the response I got was that I would have to abide by Michigan law as to where I could carry. IANAL, but one could extrapolate the same would hold true for out of staters carrying in Indiana, you must follow Indiana law regardless of where you are allowed to carry in your home state. For example, in Indiana, I can CC or OC in a bar where more than half of their revenue is derived from open glass alcohol sales. In Michigan, I could not CC.

Hopes this helps.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
v8shoguy wrote:
Just talked to the ISP firearms team. I have been told that "terms thereof" means the terms under which the license was issued. He said that the officer would have to have knowledge of KY's carry laws in order to recognize my right to OC with a KY CDWL. He said than an officer who was uncertain would most likely arrest me and let the court sort it out. I told him that the city told me that they issue concealed weapons permits, and he told me that was false, that the state only issues a LTCH. His recommendation is that I get one to remove all doubt. This is probably what I will do in the near future.

Slightly related side note, who has the authority to "take" your LTCH? I was threatened by the officer that he could take mine, or anyone's for OC. I highly doubt that your every-day, average LEO in IN has the ability to revoke a LTCH on a whim.
The problem I have with the bold part, suppose I'm carrying on an out of state license that lets me carry into areas that Indiana law does not? What then?

BGA,

I emailed MSP for the same thing (me carrying in Michigan on an Indiana LTCH), the response I got was that I would have to abide by Michigan law as to where I could carry. IANAL, but one could extrapolate the same would hold true for out of staters carrying in Indiana, you must follow Indiana law regardless of where you are allowed to carry in your home state. For example, in Indiana, I can CC or OC in a bar where more than half of their revenue is derived from open glass alcohol sales. In Michigan, I could not CC.

Hopes this helps.
Oh, I get it. Really I do. But I've seen threads posted on the subject of carrying in Indiana on an out of state permit/license, and depending on which state official you ask, you either have to carrying according to Indiana rules, or the rules as written on the out of state permit/license.

For instance, most of us know that in Indiana you need a permit/license to OC as well as to CC, since the license is simply to carry a handgun. Since we don't need a license to OC in Michigan, our state issued license is called a "Concealed Pistol License." I've been told that some LEOs in Indiana interpret this to mean us Michiganders can't OC in Indiana with our CPL.

I've also read messages posted by others, who were told they had to abide by Michigan laws with regard to carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol.

My whole thing is, it seems to me that part of the law on reciprocity needs some clarification for the education of those state officials that are looking for ways to try to screw me out of my hard earned (and sparse) money.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
BGordon42 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
v8shoguy wrote:

BGA,

Hopes this helps.
Oh, I get it. Really I do. But I've seen threads posted on the subject of carrying in Indiana on an out of state permit/license, and depending on which state official you ask, you either have to carrying according to Indiana rules, or the rules as written on the out of state permit/license.

For instance, most of us know that in Indiana you need a permit/license to OC as well as to CC, since the license is simply to carry a handgun. Since we don't need a license to OC in Michigan, our state issued license is called a "Concealed Pistol License." I've been told that some LEOs in Indiana interpret this to mean us Michiganders can't OC in Indiana with our CPL.

I've also read messages posted by others, who were told they had to abide by Michigan laws with regard to carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol.

My whole thing is, it seems to me that part of the law on reciprocity needs some clarification for the education of those state officials that are looking for ways to try to screw me out of my hard earned (and sparse) money.
Gotcha. I understand your point.

dadpharm

imported post

Hi In another effort to find the correct interpretion,I e mailed congressman Hill,my daughters house rep in Jeffersonville,IN. He called(orrather his rep) and said I had to abid by In. law, not S>C> I guess this muddies the water even more. Tx Ferank

SlackwareRobert

imported post

That is why you need a recorder. Then you have him on tape ambulance chasing
at best, and impersonating a lawyer at worst. Either way he broke the law, you
can't go around offering legal services or advice without passing the bar.
My AL says 'pistol' so I guess I can't carry a wheel gun there, damn restrictions.:cuss:

mdevar

imported post

I had similar problems when I called Louisville's LMPD citizen information line. I was recently issued a LTCH from Indiana, and since I live in New Albany, IN (5 minutes from Louisville, KY) I wanted some information about KY's laws. I called a couple of different times with the following question:

"In Indiana, I can carry my handgun in a bar/restaurant... I understand that KY CCW holders cannot do so. Since I'm supposed to carry based on the conditions inwhich my license was issued, can I carry in a bar in KY?"

I got different answers nearly every time I called. I'm still not sure which is "Technically" right, but to be safe I leave my hangun locked in the car if I go drinking across the bridge.