• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Carson City

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Per Manager Dan Frias, yesterday (20th). Said he sent a email to corporate and corporate replied that there are no firearms allowed in store. He said that they are in discussion as to if they would put signage up.

Vegassteve

imported post

Interestin because in a AP article 3 weeks ago BestBuy was listed as follow state laws. They even quoted a BB upper mgmt person. I have zero issues here in Vegas. I will try to find the article.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please do, I am trying to get in touch of corporate. I want to say Fox News one time did a report on this, saying Best Buy was one of businesses like Home Depot that follow state laws and have no issues on OC matters in Nevada.

Thanks.

Vegassteve

imported post

dchoepp wrote:
Please do, I am trying to get in touch of corporate. I want to say Fox News one time did a report on this, saying Best Buy was one of businesses like Home Depot that follow state laws and have no issues on OC matters in Nevada.

Thanks.

Yep is was foxnews. They had the HD and BB logos and had quotes. I can not find it now. I would still push to see something from corp. My guess is they misunderstood the mgr and meant employees.

How did this even come about? Were you kicked out? Or did you just have to ask ahead of time from BB?

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am fairly new to OC, so I asked a low level employee before I did it. She said they didn't allow them, but she was real "iffy and unsure" in her tone, so when I got back home I called to talk to the Manager to get clarification.

Looking back, probably not so good to ask first, especially when there are no signs or indicators saying they are not allowed in their, and when trying to spread awareness, however, the last thing I want is some teenager cashier freaking out causing a panic scene.

What I would like, is for businesses that do tolerate and comply with state laws, to send out company wide memos to all employees stating that it is allowed and therefore eliminating problem situations for OC'ers as well as other public.

I mentioned this to Regional Manager of Wells Fargo in Carson City, and she said it was a great idea. Whether she will do it or not, I don't know.

Just my thought.

Vegassteve

imported post

OK so this is the lesson all folks need to take away from this. Dont ask. No need. If they dont want your money they will ask you to leave. Again this is all more than likely a big game of telephone where the corp folks think a employee wants to carry. And some low level wage guy is not going to know company policy either. So just carry away. Act normal and make OC part of your day and life and no one will care. That is one of our points.

Loneviking

imported post

dchoepp wrote:
Per Manager Dan Frias, yesterday (20th). Said he sent a email to corporate and corporate replied that there are no firearms allowed in store. He said that they are in discussion as to if they would put signage up.

This is the Best Buy store manager? Do you have an address? I'll send him a letter telling him he's just lost my business. Do you have a name/address for the Wells Fargo manager that's friendly? I'd send them a letter thanking them!

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, Dan Frias is the Mgr. from BestBuy on Topsy Ln. For Wells Fargo, I talked to the Regional Manager for Carson City. Her name was Trish something. I threw her info away as I had finished with them.

I am waiting to here back from corporate on the BestBuy deal.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I spoke with Autumn Peltzman, Consumer Relations Supervisor, Best Buy Corporate. She quoted me their corporate legal policy, which is, "Best Buy's policy is to comply with all local and state laws."

She then put me on hold and told me she was going to call the local store here and speak with the manager that told me otherwise to inform him of their policy.

However, when she came back, she said she spoke with the Consumer Relations Manager for the local store and their policy is, they would allow concealed carry, but not open carry so that their other customers feel they are in a safe and comfortable environment as they shop.

So, even though their legal policy is they will comply with all local and state laws, it obviously varies with each store location as they are exercising their right to refuse service to someone who OC's.

Even though Sue Nehring, spokesperson for Best Buy, was quoted in the Wall Street Journal "Our practice is to comply with local and state laws."

If anyone has any other corporate contact information to take this higher please let me know, as I am still trying to get clarification.

gmijackso

imported post

Might try seeing if Kelly Groehler is still there. In October 2009 she was a speaker at some conference and was listed as "senior manager, corporate public relations, Best Buy Co.". If you have the other persons email, it may be as simple as replacing the appropriate portions of the email address with the new name in the proper format to be able to get a hold of her. If I remember, I'll look some more when I get home this evening, hard to do too much of this sort of thing at work. ;) good luck!

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the info. I will keep on this.

I was thinking of getting some T-Shirts made that say:

OpenCarry.Org

"Does the concealment of my firearm make you feel more safe and comfortable?"

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UPDATE:

Today, after some calling around to various people, and some tip info I got, I received a phone call from Mr. Brian Nash, who was very pleasant and nice, is part of the Executive Resolution Team for Best Buy Corp. At the time he called, I was not at home so I returned his call.

He said that he had "went over my case" as he put it, and apologized to me for getting the wrong information. He explained that there was a misunderstanding between the local store and that he personally had talked to the GM (Leon) of the Carson City Best Buy store and explained that they support and follow all local and state laws, and that OC was perfectly fine.

Because of my first initial encounter with a low level employee and her lack of knowledge, but willingness to give me an answer she was unsure of, I suggested that it might be a good idea to send a memo out to ALL store employees regarding this issue. He said that was a great idea, he would send an email to the GM about this, however it was up to the GM if he wanted to do this.

Hopefully the GM would want to "educate" his staff on store policies.

I know this wasn't a big deal, but I just can't stand when people insist on giving you answers which are wrong, when in reality they have no idea and it is based entirely on their opinion and what they "think" is right. To me it's nice to know now, that local store is on the same page as corporate.

Thank you to the OCDO member who helped out on this one. Looks like I'll be shopping at Best Buy again.

P.S. I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I thought it was relevant and I love this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1Wgkh5MeE

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

The moral of this story is that if you are doing something which is legal and moral, DO it. If someone has a problem with it, put it on THEM to bring it up. Most of the time they won't risk the embarrassment -- but if you ask about it, you are inviting them to say no.

Q: "Why are you carrying a gun?"

A: "Why aren't YOU?"