• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - Oklahoma Senate votes 33-15 to legalize open carry

rodbender

imported post

Mike wrote:
Hopefully the Oklahoma House and Gov. go along with this and legalize OC this year in oklahoma.

Then you guys in Texas and Arkansas can try to make another go of it - clearly it needed to become an issue in teh exas Gov's race and then the winner needs to follow thru
Not even sure that Perry will win the Gov. race. He's got a lot of unclaimed baggage. Gadasil, Trans Texas Corridor and a lot more. Especially when people find out that the TTC is still alive and well as well as other big toll roads.

AnnoyedOklahoman

imported post

so from all ive gathered that the new open carry will you be required to have a concealed carry license first or what I'm concerned about it all but its just not coming all together...but also from where i stand im an 18 year old and i do know that in the state of oklahoma you cannot get a concealed carry until 21...but what i do not understand is that i do have the option to go into the armed forces...which dont get me wrong i respect what they do for my freedom its stupid that i can go over seas and carry a high powered rifle but yet i cant carry a pistol...i've lived in oklahoma all my life so guns are nothing new to me and ive had my life time hunting/fishing license since 2002 and ive been allowed to carry a rifle/shotgun to go hunting...just if anyone can shed some light for me i would greatly appreciate it...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
I was shocked the first time I read that Texas was no-OC. I always thought Texas was where cowboys came from, and whoever heard of a cowboy without a gun? I'm rooting for you guys. Hopefully they take a look at OK and follow suit.
I always thought it was where steer and queers came from....

I'll not postulate on this correlation, if any, to a lack of OC.

rodbender

imported post

ixtow wrote:
mcdonalk wrote:
I was shocked the first time I read that Texas was no-OC. I always thought Texas was where cowboys came from, and whoever heard of a cowboy without a gun? I'm rooting for you guys. Hopefully they take a look at OK and follow suit.
I always thought it was where steer and queers came from....

I'll not postulate on this correlation, if any, to a lack of OC.
All the steers and queers in Texas are in the state legislature....they have no balls.

KBCraig

imported post

rodbender wrote:
All the steers and queers in Texas are in the state legislature....they have no balls.
My state rep will be at the local gun club meeting tomorrow. They've moved to a bigger venue and invited the public.

I plan to give him my priorities, in order of importance:
1. Repeal all of PC Chapter 46
2. Join Arizona and Alaska (license not required for CC or OC, but available for those who want reciprocity)
3. Legalize OC, even if CC still requires a license
4. Repeal the ban on school carry
5. Repeal any statutory prohibition on carry in private property (schools, sporting events, 51% locations)
6. Reduce the penalty for trespassing while armed to a Class C misdemeanor with maximum $50 fine and no loss of license.
7. Create a presumption of liability for business or property owners when someone suffers a criminal attack on property that has been posted to ban guns.

rpyne

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Almost all of the legislators in Texas are gutless cowards.
Then it sounds like it is time for the people of Texas to get off their behinds and get involved and organized.

If you organize and target one or two districts at a time, it only takes a few years to change the attitude of a state legislature. Target the most anti-gun legislators first and when you boot one of them out of office, hold a press conference and let them know why they were the target.

Contrary to popular belief, it does not take lots of money to unseat an incumbent, it takes a little time and work by a dedicated group of people who are willing to walk the neighborhoods of the district knocking on doors and talking to voters.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

rpyne,

We actually had a Texas Citizens Defense League (TCDL) online once...but it went under, and no one took the site/effort over. No real explanation I can recall as to the particulars.

As for Texas getting on the ball re: OC, I certainly agree with you as it's been about 140 years since we had OC here. Unfortunately, the Texas Legislature does not meet EVERY year (THAT needs to be changed), is OFF for all of 2010, so only in 2011 can we do anything with them...and only ifsomeone there to SPONSORa bill to get it going (which up until recently has been REAL HARD to do). Then the votes have to be there to pass the bill, then the signing by the Governor...which IIRC, Perry says he would do. It came closer than it's ever been in 2009, but that's all.

I can only hope that if 'The Great State of Texas' (I use the term disparagingly) does not pass OC in 2011, it eventually isshamed into passing it later on (2013?) as it looks at all the OTHER states that have it but 'The Great State of Texas' does not. I don't know why TX legislators (and governors) have been so hands-off the OC issue, but that's how it's been for 140 years! I have no logical explanation for this paranormal mystery.

I wrote Governor Perry telling him to BE the Governor and LEAD (the same time I wrote Governor Brewer of AZ to compliment her on her illegal immigration stance),but any legislation here in TX is dead for this year as no one is there at the office! And it seemsPerry just waits for bills to get to his desk rather than initiate action/find sponsors to get it through the process TO his desk. In short, unlike the Governor of AZ who has some spine (re: illegal immigration AND pro-gun legislation) and LEADS, the Governor of TX (CA & NM as well)do not. They follow. Maybe.

So what are we poor serfs here in TX to do? :question:

-- John D.

rodbender

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:

-- John D.
I for one am not staying in Texas. The wife and I are moving to Arizona no later than spring 2011. I hate leaving Texas, was born here and lived here my entire 57 years of existence. I love Texas, but the people, especially the legislature, is the last to take a step forward and the first to take a step backward. Maybe there are too many imports from the northern states. A lot of Kali plates here of late as well.Texas is no longer the leader it once was, so goodbye, Texas.

rpyne

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
When is the last time you talked to your state representative(s)? Do you know where they stand on gun rights issues? If they support your rights, do they know you support them? If they do not support your rights, are supporting their opposition?

I can guarantee you that my state representative and senator both know me by name and by sight. They know where I stand on the issues and how I expect them to vote. They also know that as long as they are supporting my values, I will support their campaigns. I don't have much money to help them, but I talk to everyone who gives me a chance to tell them why they should support which candidates.

By supporting, I mean time, energy and money. It takes all three to run a campaign, but with sufficient time and energy, money becomes much less important.

The way we turned thing around here in Utah was by ranking the state legislators by how their record and statements indicated their support for our rights, then started targeting them one or two at a time, working on the worst ones first. By concentrating our efforts in one or two districts at a time, we were able to start unseating the anti-gunners a few at a time. When we successfully unseated one, we held a news conference to make sure the rest of them know why we had targeted who we did. It didn't take very long for the rest to get the message that if they wanted to stay in office, they had better start supporting our rights.

As for the targeting, it was mostly done by getting together and walking door to door talking to the voters in a district and explaining to them why they needed to vote for someone who will stand up for their rights. Door to door, one on one contact is many times more effective than anything else you can do.

So, to answer your question, GET INVOLVED!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender,

I DO believe TX WILL get OC soon, so its just a matter of time. You're leavingthe state sooner than I am, I will leave probably the Summer of 2012 the very latest. By then, we might very well have OC (it may come in 2011) but regardless, I am leaving as per plan.

My next state to live in (for 3-4 years) MIGHT be Hawaii...compared to TX,that will almost be like living in the sorry UK gun-rights-wise, yet it's SUPPOSED to be America.

Sad.

After Hawaii(unless I spend the rest ofmy life there)I may end up in NM...that'd be much better gun-rights-wise, which is kind of surprisingsince NM ismostly a liberal state.

'Happy Trails' to you and yours in pro-gun AZ. I hope Brewer stays on as governor...the storm clouds are'brewing' for her now after she signed that 'racist' and 'misguided' immigration bill! ;-)

-- John D.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rpyne,

I AM a get-involved kind of guy, and would even run for office if I could. But there are some 'issues' with my past I need to keep on the quiet side, if you will, and being a disabled vet, some people do not take me seriously due to my disablity.

The point is, I do what I can, when I can.

-- John D.

rpyne

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
rpyne,

I AM a get-involved kind of guy, and would even run for office if I could. But there are some 'issues' with my past I need to keep on the quiet side, if you will, and being a disabled vet, some people do not take me seriously due to my disablity.

The point is, I do what I can, when I can.

-- John D.
Good for you! Far too many people sit back and wring their hands crying "what can we do", so when I hear (read) such a statement, I try to point out what they can do.

CA Carry

imported post

Open Carry advocates hold gathering Downtown

By

GretaMart[/url]

Staff Reporter

April 29, 2010

Return to story
]' jQuery1272578991703="16">
images-1_0.jpeg

Bay Area members of the Open Carry movement congregated in Martinez last Saturday, meeting at the Downtown Starbucks for coffee, muffins and the opportunity to make theirpoint.

Open Carry advocates have increased visibility around Contra Costa County over the past six months in an apparent effort to attract support for openly carrying an unloaded weapon in plain sight, usually holstered on a belt or chest. While the guns are forbidden by law to be loaded, ammunition can be toted on a personsimultaneously.

According to eyewitnesses, about 15 men met in the morning hours at the Starbucks and stayed roughly an hour, milling around both inside the coffee shop and around the adjacent Main StreetPlaza.

The Gazette attempted unsuccessfully to locate a spokesperson for the movement. The manager at Starbucks said he could not comment on the incident and referred inquiries to the company’s corporate headquarters in Seattle, which provided noresponse.

However, plenty of opponents to the Open Carry adherents expressed their disapproval of theeffort.

“I just think these guys are hilarious, as in absurd and ridiculous,” said one eyewitness who requested anonymity, adding that they look like a bunch of ‘losers’ who are so [emasculated] that they feel the need to carry guns. “Do they think they look cool? Really, what is thepoint?”

Commander Gary Peterson said Monday that the department knew about the meeting slightly beforehand when one of the members telephoned headquarters to advise of theirpresence.

“This is not the first time they’ve been to town, they met once at the Starbucks at Nob Hill,” said Peterson. “They normally have someone videotaping police interactions to protect their rights. We are authorized to contact them to determine if the guns are loaded or not. It puts our officers against a rock and a hard spot because people tend to be uncomfortable aroundthem.”

There were no reports of altercations stemming from Saturday’smeeting.

“I understand we all have the right to carry unloaded firearms, I’m not disagreeing with that right,” said Mayor Schroder on Wednesday. “But it’s a little intimidating and notnecessary.”

On April 18, approximately 15 Open Carry proponents met at Red Brick Pizza in Pleasant Hill, and earlier in the year about 100 met at Buckhorn Grill in Walnut Creek. After the event, the owner of the Bay Area restaurant chain, John Pickerel, sent out a press release announcing the company’s new policy of no gunsallowed.

“The Buckhorn Grill would like to apologize…we have not in the past nor shall in the future allow weapons in our restaurants from our employees, vendors or customers. We made an exception on February 6, 2010, and regret this decision now. We were misled with some facts,” wrote Pickerel. “The local police were involved and we knew none of the weapons were loaded, but it still caused tension with the large mob of people arriving as a group instead of individually. It was supposed to be a group luncheon, and it turned into an…organized propaganda meeting with an agenda. We apologize for any inconvenience to our regular customers, it will not happenagain.”

A California legislator from San Diego, Lori Saldana, has introduced AB1934, which, according to the bill’s text, “existing law, subject to exceptions, makes it an offense to carry a concealed handgun on the person or in a vehicle, as specified…existing law provides that firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of those provisions. This bill would delete the exception pertaining to firearms carried openly in beltholsters.”

rpyne

imported post

CA Carry wrote:
Open Carry advocates hold gathering Downtown

Bay Area members of the Open Carry movement congregated in Martinez last Saturday, meeting at the Downtown Starbucks for coffee, muffins and the opportunity to make theirpoint.

A California legislator from San Diego, Lori Saldana, has introduced AB1934, which, according to the bill’s text, “existing law, subject to exceptions, makes it an offense to carry a concealed handgun on the person or in a vehicle, as specified…existing law provides that firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of those provisions. This bill would delete the exception pertaining to firearms carried openly in beltholsters.”
And what does this have to do with open carry in Oklahoma?