• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confronted While OCing On My Own Property.

hardballer

imported post

I had two interesting encounters with neighbors yesterday. I'm out in the yard doing a little spring cleaning'/yard work and one stopped and says, “Hey, tough guy! What're ya compensating for something, think you're a big man?” He reckoned I would not be so big without that gun.

He was PO'd because I had asked him to slow down earlier as he drove through the neighborhood. 10 mph speed limit, he's never under 20 mph or more. Kids, dogs, cats, elderly all use the road. No walks or curb. I asked very politely and suggested that I would be calling the sheriffs dept. in the future if he did not slow down. Same guy I pulled out of a snow bank last winter (he was drunk) Now he's a tad adversarial. He leaves and gives me a one finger salute. I am amused.

Later, another neighbor, his wife and I are talking about this and she says, “you bring this on yourself for carrying that, that gun.” She says; “you are scaring people, we've been talking about you. What kind of person carries a gun. We live in a quiet neighborhood. What are you afraid of?” I reply that I am not so much afraid as I am prepared. “FOR WHAT?” she very nearly yells.

I said, I am exercising my 2nd amendment right to bear arms in accordance with our state Constitution and the Constitution of the Republic. She says, “Well I don't know about all that but I think it would be better if we were like England.” Oh boy, here we go. “If all the guns were gone. . . .etc., etc., etc. zzzzzzzzzzz”

Her silent partner finally jumps in and says, “Yeah, I suppose you think kids should have guns too.” I say, “Noooo, I think they they should be able to shoot guns at whatever age their parents think is appropriate and under supervision.” He says, “before you know it, they'll be taking them to school.” I say, “Like they used too?”

I mentioned some of the recent incidents in Madison and Milwaukee with home break-ins and the crime map from Eau Claire. She was non-plussed and unmoved from here passivistic stance. I even remarked that Gandhi once said "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." She noted that and said she would have to look that up. OK. . . .

The conversation devolved from there with her saying that she did not want to argue but I should stop wearing the gun to make the neighbors feel better. I assured her that I would not and that the ones she should worry about are the guys who are hiding their guns and whom she is bumping shoulders with at Walmart etc. While shopping in her safe little world.

I asked her what if she were accosted and she said she would never use a gun even to save her own life and I just figure, there's natural selection at work.

THE RIGHT SITE

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
***Priceless***

Where can I get one of those?
I know a guy who makes yard signs. I bet he can get you one that size.

The problem is, government probably has zoning ordinances against a sign that big, but that's a different issue.

hardballer:

Your neighbors cannot see past their prejudice. If you have opportunity to talk to them again, try this one on for size:

Aren't you the same people who repeated talk about tolerance and acceptance when it comes to minorities? Well, I'm a minority, that much is obvious, I am one of the few in the neighborhood who carries. Where is your tolerance and acceptance for me, or does that tolerance/acceptance thing only refer to minorities you approve of?

Keep in mind, they'll really get pissed at you once you point out the hypocrisy of their bigotry.

professor gun

imported post

Spartacus beat me to it but I have to say it anyway: You can't fix stupid.

One of my neighbors (who happens to be an idiot) knows I hunt and I do a lot of shooting; a hole about 3/4" in diameter appeared in the siding of his garage next to a basketball hoop on the garage. Right away he calls my house and leaves a voice mail accusing me and my sons of target shooting in our backyard and hitting his garage. We live on the south side of La Crosse, residential area, my lot size is 80' X 140' as I recall which includes the area my house sits on.

I told him he was mistaken. He just wouldn't let it go, so I finally told him that if he believed we were actually shooting at his garage it was his duty to call the police and report it.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Hey Professor Gun. I did not know you were a home boy. If you ever want to do a meet-up LMK.

I'm also heavily involved with the May 16th OC Chicken-Q in West Salem and if you would like to get involved with setting up or helping out that would be great.

hunter9mm

imported post

I had my first encounter with one of my neighbors today too, must be something in the air! Mine was a bit different than Hardballer’s though. I was just out getting the mail and my neighbor across the road followed me back up my drive to talk about normal neighborly stuff and about 5 minutes into the conversation he took a long “Double Take” at my sidearm and just kept talking about his agenda. About 5 minutes later he asked me about my sidearm. I explained to him about OC in Wisconsin, which he HAD heard about. He’s a retired Deputy and was LEO prior to being a Deputy. He had some of the normal concerns about reactions from anti’s causing trouble for us and asked lots of questions. Ends up he’s OK with the fact of standing up for our rights and feels that (his words) “Most LEO’s are good people and once this becomes more common place, things will quiet down for those who choose to OC, but it will take some time before that happens”. He went on to say that “Some LEO’s are just jerks, and will probably never LET IT GO” Found out his son (early 30’s) is very “Into” being against our Rights being eroded by the government, and into guns. I gave him a flyer and told him to get his son to join WCI. Felt it was a good day all around!

professor gun

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Hey Professor Gun. I did not know you were a home boy. If you ever want to do a meet-up LMK.

I'm also heavily involved with the May 16th OC Chicken-Q in West Salem and if you would like to get involved with setting up or helping out that would be great.

Sounds good. I am pretty busy with work right now but that will be tapering off about May 14. My sons and I may be able to help out in the meantime if you need a hand. PM me.

hunter9mm

imported post

professor gun wrote:
Spartacus beat me to it but I have to say it anyway: You can't fix stupid.

One of my neighbors (who happens to be an idiot) knows I hunt and I do a lot of shooting; a hole about 3/4" in diameter appeared in the siding of his garage next to a basketball hoop on the garage. Right away he calls my house and leaves a voice mail accusing me and my sons of target shooting in our backyard and hitting his garage. We live on the south side of La Crosse, residential area, my lot size is 80' X 140' as I recall which includes the area my house sits on.

I told him he was mistaken. He just wouldn't let it go, so I finally told him that if he believed we were actually shooting at his garage it was his duty to call the police and report it.

a hole about 3/4" in diameter appeared

P-Gun did you break out the 20mm machine gun or something? :quirky:quirky

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What're ya compensating for something, a stupid statement when they can't argue facts and reason. I have yet to read a news story where a man was able to whip out hiswell endowment and ward off his attackers.

As for your other neighbors, heads are in the sand and that's where they'll stay, We know that the countless victims shot through out the country never thought they would be shot at school,church,mall or anywhere else they presumed to be safe.

bigdaddy1

imported post

springfield 1911 wrote:
What're ya compensating for something, a stupid statement when they can't argue facts and reason. I have yet to read a news story where a man was able to whip out hiswell endowment and ward off his attackers.

As for your other neighbors, heads are in the sand and that's where they'll stay, We know that the countless victims shot through out the country never thought they would be shot at school,church,mall or anywhere else they presumed to be safe.

Yes, I am compensating for your stupidity

Works every time:celebrate

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I might suggest printing out the Susanna Hupp Story and passing it on to your neighbors.

I don't think there is another story that makes the point so clear as to the necessity of being able to defend ones self.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59368-2000May12.html
A Daughter's Regret
Suzanna Gratia Hupp will live the rest of her life with regret. Had she been carrying her gun the day a madman executed her parents while she cowered helplessly and then fled, she is convinced she could have stopped one of the worst massacres in U.S. history.
She has told the story many times over. Tomorrow she will relate it again before advocates of gun rights in a counter-rally to the Million Mom March. Put yourself in her shoes, she asks, and then think again whether gun control is the answer.
It was October 1991 when an unemployed merchant seaman drove his pickup truck into a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, Tex., leaped out and opened fire. He killed 23 people and wounded more than 20.
Hupp and her parents were having lunch in the restaurant when the shooting started. Hupp instinctively reached into her purse for her .38-caliber Smith & Wesson, but she had left it in the car. Her father tried to rush the gunman and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window, thinking her
mother was behind her.
But Hupp's mother had crawled alongside her dying husband of 47 years to cushion his head in her lap. Police later told Hupp they saw her mother look up at the gunman standing over her, then bow down before he shot her in the head.
"I'd like people to think about what happened to me, and try to place themselves in that situation," Hupp said yesterday between a string of interviews in which she relived the tragedy as Exhibit A in her argument against restrictive gun laws. "Now, instead of thinking of their parents, have it be their children.
"Even if you choose not to have a gun, as the bad guy who ignored all the laws is getting close to you and as he levels that firearm at one of your children, don't you hope the person next to you has chosen to carry a gun and knows how to use it?"
The story is powerful, and not only because the question assaults the brain and invites no easy answers. With its implied alternative of an armed Hupp gunning down the bad guy before he gets too far, the story invokes the American legend of the frontier lawman who acts alone to thwart evil.
Unable to don that mantle when it could have saved her parents, Hupp, now 40, has been trying ever since to rally people against gun control.
When Texas debated the issue of concealed weapons in 1995, she strolled around the table at a committee hearing molding her fingers into a gun that she aimed at state senators. The next year, she ran as a Republican and won election as a state representative, an office she still holds.
She has promoted other issues, such as water rights. But her personal story trumps all other issues. For years, the National Rifle Association paid her expenses as she traveled the country testifying in favor of gun rights. Her story always commands attention. Before the massacre at Luby's cafeteria, nothing in Hupp's background suggested that she would become so closely associated with gun rights.
She was raised in central Texas, the middle of three children. Her father, Al, owned a heavy equipment store. Her mother, Ursula, was a homemaker.
Al Gratia was a man so gentle he didn't hunt and even quit fishing because he didn't want to hurt the fish. But he owned a BB gun, and taught his children how to shoot and practice gun safety. After Hupp's brother shot and killed a dove, however, no one in the family ever used the gun again.
As a child, Hupp was a victim of careless gun use. When she was 11, she was fishing with her brother and some friends when one of the youths handed a pellet gun to another youth and it went off. Hupp has a two-inch-long scar near her right elbow where the pellet entered her skin and had to be dug out.
After getting a degree as a chiropractor in 1985, she moved to Houston. An assistant district attorney who was a patient suggested she carry a gun as self-defense in the big city.
She argued against it, partly because it was then illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Texas.
"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six," she recalls her patient advising her. Another friend gave her a pistol as a gift and taught her how to shoot it.
She carried it in her purse. But, afraid of losing her chiropractic license if she were arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, she often kept it beneath the passenger seat of her car.
That's where it was, 150 feet from Hupp's grasp, the day George Hennard burst into Luby's. The what-ifs haunt her. Hennard stood barely 10 feet from her. He was up, she was down. She had clear aim. The upturned table would have steadied her hand. Though not a crack shot, she had hit smaller targets from farther distances.
"The point is, people like this--no, scumbags like this; I won't put them in the people category--are looking for easy targets," said Hupp. "That's why we see things occurring at schools, post offices, churches and cafeterias in states that don't allow concealed carrying."
Nothing sways her. After the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, Hupp seemed to suggest that teachers should carry concealed weapons. She insists that what she said was something different:
"I wanted to know why the state treats teachers like second-class citizens, when plumbers and doctors are allowed to protect themselves on the job," she said. "I would be happier sending my child to a school where a teacher whom I trust is armed and well prepared."
She is equally oblique when talking about places where guns are banned. Even in Texas, which began allowing concealed weapons in 1996, guns are banned from several types of establishments, including churches, sports arenas, government offices, courts, airports and restaurants serving alcohol. Hupp refuses to say outright that she believes people should be allowed to carry guns to church. She picks her words carefully.
"We have created a shopping list for madmen," she said. "If guns are the problem, why don't we see things occurring at skeet and trap shoots, at gun shows, at NRA conventions? We only see it where guns aren't allowed. The sign of a gun with a slash through it is like a neon sign for gunmen, 'We're unarmed. Come kill us.' "
To Hupp, the right to bear arms is a family issue. Her two sons will grow up learning to defend themselves with a gun. The elder son, 4, has been taught gun safety and has fired his first shot.
"A gun can be used to kill a family, or defend a family," Hupp said. "I've lived what gun laws do. My parents died because of what gun laws do. I'm the quintessential soccer mom, and I want the right to protect my family. What happened to my parents will never happen again with my kids there."