• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Geico voice actor fired

eye95

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
This is relevant because the Tea-Party movements are big on liberty and generally 2A friendly.

The voice of Geico was fired after he left an anti-tea-party rant on voice-mail.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4160728/geico-guys-inflammatory-call

It doesn't really seem like that much of a 'rant' as an @#$% voice message.

Whadduya think?
His tone may not have been a rant. His words were.

If you believe in free speech, then

1. The tea-partiers have a right to rally and say what they say at rallies.

2. The voice-over guy had a right to make the (inane) call that he did.

3. His employers had a right to fire him.

Isn't freedom wonderful?

open4years

imported post

I don't understand.... He was using his normal voice, not the Geco's voice. Usually such people are banned from using their "made up" voice unless approved. Doesn't he have freedom of speech. Besides, how many people knew/cared who's voice was being used in the commercial?

I think he has a valid legal case for being fired over this, assuming he called from his phone and on his time. Did he even leave his name?

Well, the cavemen better watch out what they say. Otherwise Gieco will have to go back to there very stupid commercials they used in the past!

eye95

imported post

open4years wrote:
I don't understand.... He was using his normal voice, not the Geco's voice. Usually such people are banned from using their "made up" voice unless approved. Doesn't he have freedom of speech. Besides, how many people knew/cared who's voice was being used in the commercial?

I think he has a valid legal case for being fired over this, assuming he called from his phone and on his time. Did he even leave his name?

Well, the cavemen better watch out what they say. Otherwise Gieco will have to go back to there very stupid commercials they used in the past!
Yes. He has freedom of speech. The government cannot tell him that he may not make that call, or punish him for having made it. The Constitution says, "Congress shall make no law...," not, "The employer shall have no policy."

He brought discredit upon his employer's product. They didn't just have the right to can him; they were wise to do so!

bigdaddy1

imported post

open4years wrote:

Most of these people (actors) have contracts. In those contracts are conditions of employment. If Geico had some sort of morality clause they are justified in termination of said contract. Just like the NFL can ban players from riding motorcycles.

I personally dont give a carp.

Decoligny

imported post

open4years wrote:

He was NOT the voice of the Gecko.

Heis the voice-over guythat says "Fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent on your car insurance!"

Dreamer

imported post

I think Flo the Progressive girl (Stephanie Courtney) is strangely, inexplicably, but TOTALLY hot.

But my family has Geico, and they have done a great job for us for the last few years.

OT, I know, but I had to chime in on that one...

Pace

imported post

Nothing to do with OpenCarry.

simmonsjoe wrote:
This is relevant because the Tea-Party movements are big on liberty and generally 2A friendly.

The voice of Geico was fired after he left an anti-tea-party rant on voice-mail.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4160728/geico-guys-inflammatory-call

It doesn't really seem like that much of a 'rant' as an @#$% voice message.

Whadduya think?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

eye95 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Dang. Who's next? I hope it isn't Flo from Progessive!
Please, for the love of all that is Holy, dump her!
progressive-flo.jpg
:lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

open4years wrote:
Well, somebody had to have identified him.

And, in 49 of the 50 states, an employer does not need a reason to fire you. As long as you aren't fired solely for being a member of a protected class (age, race, sex, religion, sexual orientation (well, in normal states) or other stated reasons) the employer can fire you for wearing a shirt s/he doesn't like.

Most won't, because the lawsuits are prolific and time-consuming, but they have the right.