Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in Movie theater??

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

So, say i know this guy, he has his cpl, and wants to know if it is 100% legal to Open Carry his pistol at the Movie Theater....MJR, or other common theaters??
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

im pretty sure its no CC in places with over 2500 seating capacity.

not sure,but i think thats how it is.somebody will confirm or debunk whati said above soon.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

for a cpl holder, cc in a movie theater with a seating capacity less than 2500 is perfectly legal.

oc with cpl in any movie theater regardless of seating capacity is perfectly legal

Private property rights however can restrict your right to oc/cc

All of the places listed below are legal to OC with cpl except a court.

Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    " " (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

Legal to carry openly with a CPL

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-234d
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: ...

(d) A theatre. ...

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following: ...

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    Cannot CC in if the buildings seating capacity is over 2500.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-28-425o

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following: ...

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

Post imported post

can i throw a curve at you guys?

states 2500... now... is that..

1.) the total for the whole building
    or...
    2.) 2500 of a single room in a building, where the whole building may hold 2500, but each room may only hold 500 - 1000 each?

Post imported post

viperar15 wrote:

or...
    2.) 2500 of a single room in a building, where the whole building may hold 2500, but each room may only hold 500 - 1000 each?
    And here comes another curve... or two...

Does your ticket give you access to the entire seating capacity or just the seating capacity of the theater the movie you paid for is playing in.

Also if it is NOT properly marked per statute then does it really apply?
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    viperar15 wrote:

or...
    And here comes another curve... or two...

Does your ticket give you access to the entire seating capacity or just the seating capacity of the theater the movie you paid for is playing in.

Also if it is NOT properly marked per statute then does it really apply?
    If the cpl holder has reason to believe that the seating capacity is 2500 or more does that apply?

Post imported post

i guess i ask this because... each theater room has a sign specifying the # of people per room or theater. but... not a total capcity upon entering the building...

Post imported post

I am not sure as the law specifies that it must be marked a certain way to be a PFZ.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I have OC'd @ MJR on Van Dyke 3 times, with no issues. I have my CPL.

Post imported post

I have my cpl and will be oc'ing for the first time at a movie theatre within the next week or so i will post how it went. I am thinking of going to the star theater at 15 and gratiot.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

sounds like fun, what ya seeing?
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

This is sort of a gray area which i generally try to avoid. My local theater has seating capacity under 2,500, but sometimes we go to the fancy theater, and i would assume it holds more than 2,500 because it is a large multiplex. If i go there, i choose not to carry. I generally do not open carry when i am out with my wife, and i don't usually go to the movies without her.

The statute is about as clear as mud:

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

OCed in W. Columbia 7 in Battle Creek tonight...no issues.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    I have OC'd @ MJR on Van Dyke 3 times, with no issues.* I have my CPL.
    I do not have a CPL so I have to ask permission to OC in a theatre. I was at MJR Van Dyke tonight and was told they just reviewed their policies and no firearms are allowed. I was asked to put the firearm in my car, so I did(I was out with friends). I kept my holster on. I will be contacting MJR headquarters tomorrow. They don't have a "no firearms" sign up, so go ahead and carry there until they tell you to leave. The manager told me the police were out there last week for a guy carrying.

Banned

Post imported post

Dont give them your buisiness, your safety, the safety of your family,and the safety of others isnt worth some "policy" based on irrational fear.

Oh, it wont happen :

: here

: today

: to me

: to my family

: (insert anything here)

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    FatboyCykes wrote:
    I have OC'd @ MJR on Van Dyke 3 times, with no issues. I have my CPL.
    I do not have a CPL so I have to ask permission to OC in a theatre. I was at MJR Van Dyke tonight and was told they just reviewed their policies and no firearms are allowed. I was asked to put the firearm in my car, so I did(I was out with friends). I kept my holster on. I will be contacting MJR headquarters tomorrow. They don't have a "no firearms" sign up, so go ahead and carry there until they tell you to leave. The manager told me the police were out there last week for a guy carrying.
    Good to know Scot, thanks. Hmm wonder who was there when the LEO's were called, wasn't me, haven't been there since....Alice in Wonderland came out :/

Post imported post

I have called MJR in Waterford and had them add up all the seating and it was well above 2500, something like 3100. I have not tried to OC there because I am almost positive that they will ask me to leave and when I go there i am always with my family and don't want anyone in the theater to know that I have a gun in my car to steal.

I really wish that the cpl restricted zones be removed. They make no since and just open up "Victim zones".

Post imported post

Sounds to me like OC at a movie theater would be a headache i would like to avoid. But when i do do it and if i am asked to put my gun up i will just leave. No way i will put my gun up in my car knowing that a bunch of people know it is there and i will be away from it for about 2hrs even if it is locked up.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

That was the first and last time I will store my gun while at the movies. I didn't want to ruin my friends night and have to leave. I emailed MJR today. I'll update you on their response once I recieve it.

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    That was the first and last time I will store my gun while at the movies. I didn't want to ruin my friends night and have to leave. I emailed MJR today. I'll update you on their response once I recieve it.
    FWIW, I have several times left my firearm in my car as to try to not ruin a friends night out, or cc on a special night out with mah lady.

Post imported post

I would love to see how MJR responds. I always leave my gun in car when at movies. I just wouldn't want to be told to put my gun in the car so that everyone else in there knows it is in the car.

Banned

Post imported post

The only way Im leaving my gun in the car at the movies, is if Im at a drive in, after I get my CPL.

Post imported post

Rob,
    We are sorry you were unhappy on your recent visit to our Marketplace Digital Cinema.
    It is our policy at MJR Digital Cinemas not to allow firearms into our buildings.* We respect your rights under the 2nd amendment, however as our buildings are private properties, we reserve the right not to allow firearms.
    Sincerely,
    -Tony Penchoff
    MJR Digital Cinemas
    Customer Service Director

Post imported post

I have OCed at Showcase Cinema in A2 without issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast