• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Movie theater??

lil_freak_66

imported post

im pretty sure its no CC in places with over 2500 seating capacity.

not sure,but i think thats how it is.somebody will confirm or debunk whati said above soon.

lapeer20m

imported post

for a cpl holder, cc in a movie theater with a seating capacity less than 2500 is perfectly legal.

oc with cpl in any movie theater regardless of seating capacity is perfectly legal

Private property rights however can restrict your right to oc/cc

All of the places listed below are legal to OC with cpl except a court.

Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
" " (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

ghostrider

imported post

Legal to carry openly with a CPL

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%281sejhgbkzx5whn45bndchm45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: ...

(d) A theatre. ...

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following: ...

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Cannot CC in if the buildings seating capacity is over 2500.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%281sejhgbkzx5whn45bndchm45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425o

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following: ...

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

viperar15

imported post

can i throw a curve at you guys?

states 2500... now... is that..

1.) the total for the whole building
or...
2.) 2500 of a single room in a building, where the whole building may hold 2500, but each room may only hold 500 - 1000 each?

autosurgeon

imported post

viperar15 wrote:

or...
2.) 2500 of a single room in a building, where the whole building may hold 2500, but each room may only hold 500 - 1000 each?
And here comes another curve... or two...

Does your ticket give you access to the entire seating capacity or just the seating capacity of the theater the movie you paid for is playing in.

Also if it is NOT properly marked per statute then does it really apply?

G

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
viperar15 wrote:

or...
And here comes another curve... or two...

Does your ticket give you access to the entire seating capacity or just the seating capacity of the theater the movie you paid for is playing in.

Also if it is NOT properly marked per statute then does it really apply?
If the cpl holder has reason to believe that the seating capacity is 2500 or more does that apply?

Recoil88

imported post

I have my cpl and will be oc'ing for the first time at a movie theatre within the next week or so i will post how it went. I am thinking of going to the star theater at 15 and gratiot.

lapeer20m

imported post

This is sort of a gray area which i generally try to avoid. My local theater has seating capacity under 2,500, but sometimes we go to the fancy theater, and i would assume it holds more than 2,500 because it is a large multiplex. If i go there, i choose not to carry. I generally do not open carry when i am out with my wife, and i don't usually go to the movies without her.

The statute is about as clear as mud:

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

scot623

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I have OC'd @ MJR on Van Dyke 3 times, with no issues.  I have my CPL.
I do not have a CPL so I have to ask permission to OC in a theatre. I was at MJR Van Dyke tonight and was told they just reviewed their policies and no firearms are allowed. I was asked to put the firearm in my car, so I did(I was out with friends). I kept my holster on. I will be contacting MJR headquarters tomorrow. They don't have a "no firearms" sign up, so go ahead and carry there until they tell you to leave. The manager told me the police were out there last week for a guy carrying.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Dont give them your buisiness, your safety, the safety of your family,and the safety of others isnt worth some "policy" based on irrational fear.

Oh, it wont happen :

: here

: today

: to me

: to my family

: (insert anything here)

FatboyCykes

imported post

scot623 wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
I have OC'd @ MJR on Van Dyke 3 times, with no issues. I have my CPL.
I do not have a CPL so I have to ask permission to OC in a theatre. I was at MJR Van Dyke tonight and was told they just reviewed their policies and no firearms are allowed. I was asked to put the firearm in my car, so I did(I was out with friends). I kept my holster on. I will be contacting MJR headquarters tomorrow. They don't have a "no firearms" sign up, so go ahead and carry there until they tell you to leave. The manager told me the police were out there last week for a guy carrying.
Good to know Scot, thanks. Hmm wonder who was there when the LEO's were called, wasn't me, haven't been there since....Alice in Wonderland came out :/

coderdude

imported post

I have called MJR in Waterford and had them add up all the seating and it was well above 2500, something like 3100. I have not tried to OC there because I am almost positive that they will ask me to leave and when I go there i am always with my family and don't want anyone in the theater to know that I have a gun in my car to steal.

I really wish that the cpl restricted zones be removed. They make no since and just open up "Victim zones".

Recoil88

imported post

Sounds to me like OC at a movie theater would be a headache i would like to avoid. But when i do do it and if i am asked to put my gun up i will just leave. No way i will put my gun up in my car knowing that a bunch of people know it is there and i will be away from it for about 2hrs even if it is locked up.

scot623

imported post

That was the first and last time I will store my gun while at the movies. I didn't want to ruin my friends night and have to leave. I emailed MJR today. I'll update you on their response once I recieve it.