• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suspected Burglar/Tresspaser Shot in Olympia

Norman

midiwall

imported post

Umm, that sounds more than casually cagey. I don' t think this is gonna go well for the homeowner, no matter what happened.

If we take the article at its word (yeah, I know) the intruder hadn't committed a felony, and was leaving the scene. That's not a clean shoot.

cynicist

imported post

Legally, he could get charged. Unless a court finds that a trespasser being cornered represents an immediate threat, without a visible weapon, then this guy fired upon someone without being in immediate danger, judging by the post.
But, just because there may be legal grounds for it, doesn't mean charges will be filed. Prosecutors are frequently sympathetic with defenders on their own property, even it was technically outside the law - remember that guy in Yakima a couple months ago who fired at fleeing burglars, and the county would not press charges.
If the guy dies, he may be in for some @#$% though.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Legally, he could get charged. Unless a court finds that a trespasser being cornered represents an immediate threat, without a visible weapon, then this guy fired upon someone without being in immediate danger, judging by the post.
But, just because there may be legal grounds for it, doesn't mean charges will be filed. Prosecutors are frequently sympathetic with defenders on their own property, even it was technically outside the law - remember that guy in Yakima a couple months ago who fired at fleeing burglars, and the county would not press charges.
Oh, really?????

I'm sure that will assuage the troubled and fearful heart of Mr. Homeowner/Shooter.

Not.

I'm surer that Mr. H/S is wishing that he would have heard of: HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[suP]©[/suP] which, if adhered to, would have probably changed his actions yesterday morning. It is, for all of you out there that are affected by this wonderful conceptualization:is:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

HPCSD[suP]©[/suP]is a good thing to know about.

cynicist wrote:
If the guy dies, he may be in for some @#$% though.
"May?"

I wonder if Mr. H/S will be calmed by that assessment...

Remember the old saying:

Shoot in haste. Repent in leisure.

midiwall

imported post

Norman wrote:
This is definitely one of those, "Don't talk, get a lawyer" nightmares.
They were playing the 911 tape on KOMO yesterday. The guy sounds older, and in a very calm voice says "I armed myself", and "I shot him". No sense of "OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?" or panic, or stress. Just very calm, matter-of-fact. It was clear (to me) that he didn't think he did anything wrong. Very "old-school" as in "If you're on my property at 2am, I shoot first and ask questions later".

(edit to add conclusion in blue text)

joshcdc

imported post

I don't see how the homeowners life was threatened, I think HankT' postulate will be true in this case. However, if the burglar were rushing him when he shot, or if the burglar had reached into a pocket I think it would be a different story. This would be a great time to say "Keep your hands where I can see them, stay where you are", but not to just shoot a man. Then again, maybe the homeowner was rushed or the burglar did reach into his pocket, we don't have all of the details. We'll see what the DA thinks.

You need to define unarmed before I accept your postulate HankT. Or change your postulate to
"It is a bad strategy to shoot a person who is not presenting a credible threat to your life."
Don't forget about the man who was killed by a man with no arms, headbutted to death.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20844553/

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Norman wrote:

Actually, it's one of those "How could I have been so unprepared and untrained to shoot" nightmares.

Which precipitates the "Don't talk, get a lawyer" imperative...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

HankT wrote:
Norman wrote:

Actually, it's one of those "How could I have been so unprepared and untrained to shoot" nightmares.

BINGO :cool: We must take the position of "Taking Ownership Of Our Choices" and Preparing Ourselves In Advance.

Not doing so is irresponsible.

Norman

imported post

Regardless of how he got there or how unprepared he was, he laid out a pretty lame story to the cops, at least from what the paper is publishing. Lawyer time!

killchain

imported post

HankT wrote:
Norman wrote:

Here you go, Hank. Someone had to do it.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

joshcdc

imported post

:lol: ok, ok. Notice how he ignored me despite me directly asking him for a response. HankT ignores logic, so of course his postulate is invalid. I guess I can ignore him too.

killchain

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
:lol: ok, ok. Notice how he ignored me despite me directly asking him for a response. HankT ignores logic, so of course his postulate is invalid. I guess I can ignore him too.

I'm beginning to think Hank T sympathizes with an organization that starts with C and ends with easefire.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Killchain when everyone is discussing the topic and you disagree and cannot debate it you bring out your trolling accusations.

Stop crying Troll and get on with the discussion.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

Nice lightness of you though! :cool: