• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peters indoor range....Great people, good time

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Went to Peters Indoor Range on 12 & gratiot.....had a great time, excellent service, great range..... Figured id share how great the service was and see if anyone else had any other positive/negative experiences there...

G

imported post

First time I went there was about 30 years ago.

Last time was last summer.

Place hasn't changed a bit.

I've always had a good time shooting there when I'm on the East side.

malignity

imported post

Only been to Peter's once. Overall a good experience; however, a few minor things that made me sad. They had a minimum of $15 for credit card charges, and a half hour on the range only cost me $10. I had to buy something else, which hey, wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but you know what I mean. Secondly, when I got to the range, my target was blowing around like a giant sail because one of the ventilation fans were blowing on it. I dunno if it was installed backwards or what. lol.

Would I return though? Absolutely. Seems like a solid place. I'm curious as to what their OC policy is. That'll be the final determinant.

G

imported post

You should've been there years ago when the ventilation was almost nonexistent.

I don't know about the credit card thing. All my currency is tied up in cash these days.:celebrate

FatboyCykes

imported post

I'm fairly positive that Peters is anti-OC. Haven't been by there in awhile to check it out because of the policy. They had/have a sign up saying it's not allowed.

G

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I'm fairly positive that Peters is anti-OC. Haven't been by there in awhile to check it out because of the policy. They had/have a sign up saying it's not allowed.
Didn't see one the last time I was there. And, nobody said anything to me.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
there anti OC :( ....they all OC but they do still have a sign up, has to be CC or cased.....and they dont allow wolf ammo on the range :p lol

G

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
there anti OC :( ....they all OC but they do still have a sign up, has to be CC or cased.....and they dont allow wolf ammo on the range :p lol
I look for it next time. If I remember to.

I don't know of any range that allows wolf ammo.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

I didnt notice it, but my brother did, it was his gun we were shooting.....t'was fun.....great service....fast, easy, and very nice....i can see the jokes already :p

why no wolf?....i know its cheap but....

autosurgeon

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:

Which is silly as wolf projectiles are no harder on the backstop than any other.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Yea, anti-OC attitude aside, they're pretty decent. Ventilation has always been an issue for me, when I patronized their store, always seemed....dirtier than DA or Target on Woodward.

G

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:

Which is silly as wolf projectiles are no harder on the backstop than any other.
Steel cores.

FatboyCykes

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:

Steel cores.
Is all wolf steel core?

I thought it had more to do with the aluminum casings :/

autosurgeon

imported post

No Wolf does not use steel cores. They use a bimetallic plating on the lead projectiles that will attract a magnet.

I have sectioned 9mm, .40 and .45 as well as 7.62x39 wolf projectiles and found them to be lead core with the aforementioned plating or jacket.

Legally they cannot use steel cores on handgun ammo due to BATF regs. And they claim to not use them for rifle rounds either... a fact so far only proven out in the one caliber of theirs I have in a rifle round.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Ammunition

Not only the cases of Wolf rifle ammo are steel. Most of Wolf's rifle cartridges use steel jacketed bullets, though they look like copper jacketed. The copper exterior of the bullet is only about .005inch thick, (about twice the thickness of a sheet of paper) with a steel jacket underneath about 1/32inch thick. Only the cartridges in the yellow and black boxes have real copper jackets. The core of the steel jacketeted bullets, sometimes marked "bimetal", are lead. Some rifle ranges have started magnet testing shooter's ammunition to determine if bullets are steel jacketed. The steel is said to be more likely to ricochet, and also to cause sparks on impact, which can be a problem when shooting in dry grassland, or forest areas. In addition, a large majority of pistol ranges will not allow shooters to use Wolf, or other Russian ammunition types because of the steel jacket components on many of their products. The reason cited for this is because they claim it damages the backstops.

malignity

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Is all wolf steel core?

I thought it had more to do with the aluminum casings :/

+1.

I'm pretty sure this is part, if not all of the reason. They can't make money on the aluminum casings like they can with brass, so they ban it. Boo hoo. All the ranges I've ever been to have been like this. A good bullet catch isn't going to be effected by a tiny steel core imo.

On the other side of the coin, wolf ammo imo is garbage, and I can get the calibers I need in brass for the same price at Wal-Mart. :lol:

G

imported post

Some Wolf ammo did have steel cores.

The magnet test is worthless because of the steel jacketing.

Therefore all wolf ammo is pretty much not allowed at indoor ranges.

The other factors cited are also of concern.

G

imported post

Malignity is right. Wolf ammo = garbage.

Take his advice and avoid it.

It's my advice too, but everyone knows I don't know anything.

In fact I've already forgotten more than I ever knew.