• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun store scare

cscitney87

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
The first shop I ever bought a gun from - Jo Jo's Gun and Pawn - in Birmingham, Alabama, is a shop I will never, ever go into again.

One of the customers there asked if she could see the CLERKS personal sidearm. Stupid.

Then the clerk ACTUALLY unholsters the gun. Stupid.

Starts to hand it to her, BARREL FIRST.

Gun goes off and KILLS HER on the spot. She had two kids.

When I'm in a gun store now, I don't hesitate to tell anyone to not point that thing at me you *&%#^SS.
No you're kidding me. You were there and witnessed the deadly shot? OMG I would NOT be okay with any gun store if that actually happened to me. The last gun show in Denver; guy shot himself in the shoulder- I'm actually afraid of the gun show now, literally.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Nah, I wasn't there, but it was all over the papers. SCARY. I use to go there alot.

I'll tell anyone and everyone about barrel direction. The response is always the same, "Don't worry, it's not loaded."

That's when I snap.

Some people just do not understand weapons. And some of them work at GUN STORES! WTH? I've been trying to get a job at a gun store for years. LOL.

Kriegsammler

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
(snip)...Desert Eagle(.50AE)...(snip)...Well she shot it no problem. now here comes the scary part Six rounds between the chamber and the mag she turns around sweeping everyone not shooting with the gun loaded, round in the chamber, safety off cheering and jumping slightly saying "I did it!". I can honestly say that was one of the scariest things in my life..

Had a similar situation at an indoor range a few years ago.. A guy was there with his girlfriend (neither were friends or acquaintances of mine) and he was teaching her how to shoot. She had his Glock 17 or 19 (it was a full size Glock..) and he had her all positioned and lined up for a shot.. he steps back from her and gives her the go ahead.. BAM!.. BAMBAM! she then turns.. sweeps the room.. finger ON the trigger (hello trigger safety is now off.. YIKES!) smiles and says "WOW that wasn't so BAD.....? why's everyone on the floor?"

We all started yelling, "POINT IT DOWNRANGE! DOWNRANGE!"

pucker factor about 8.5

PavePusher

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Yes, just yesterday, but not in a gun store.

A customer of mine cameto my shopafter hours to look at an AK-47 I might be willing to sell. He had his 17 year old son in tow. I have never gone shooting with him but he seemed reasonably knowledgeable and told me previously that both he and his son have attended DNR hunter safety and NRA rifle safety courses.

They were standing on the "customer side" of the counter and I was on the "office side" of the counter. I retrieved the AK from the back room and carried it out where they could see it. I removed the empty mag and dropped it in my back pocket, ensured the chamber was cleared 3 times, dry fired and then engaged the safety. I then handed it over to dad who looked at it with nosafety violations. Asthe gunwas going to be for son it was then handed over to him for a look. Just then my new puppy knocked something over behind me and I turned to see what it was. When I turned back I was looking down the barrel of my AK-47. Not a good feeling.

I immediately grabbed the barrel and pulled it out of his hand. Fortunately I felt sure the firearm was safe after having cleared it myself. We then had an animateddiscussion about firearm safety and they were invited to leave. They won't be looking at any of my guns again anytime some.

Gun store scariness. My local gun store, right up the road from my shop is owned by a guy who thinks he's God's gift to the firearm industry. Twice in the last 9 or 10 years now he's shot himself, in the store, with customers present, while clearing a gun prior to showing it to a customer. To make matters worse, it was hispersonal Glock 23 both times. One time he hit his leg and the other time he shot himself in the hand. How does your hand get in front of the muzzle to begin with? Fortunately no customers were hurt during the stupidity.

This is why I am always bewildered that gun stores (and ranges) don't have

CLEARING BARRELS!!

Sheesh! You can't walk 50 yards on a military base in the Middle East without tripping over 3 of the durned things. I've got one at my HOUSE fer cryin' out loud.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My fiance's father. He's a great guy, but way too nonchalant around firearms. I just can't figure it - he grew up with guns, hunting around the farm and all over MN. He's three times my age, owns twice as many guns, an otherwise responsible and conscientious person. He should know better.
Once while hunting squirrel he shot his 20 ga in my direction from about 100 yards away. I was plainly visible in my orange save for a small bush between us. I felt #6 shot bounce off my legs and heard it ping off of the crust on the snow:uhoh:.
Another time I brought a new aquisition, cased and unloaded, to show him. Me, my fiance, her parents at the table. He takes it out of the case, doesn't check it, and proceeds to cover everyone at the table as he examines it.
The worst part is that we correct him (me, respectfully, his wife, not so respectfully:)), but I guess it's hard to fight 60 years of bad habits.

younggun20

imported post

Couple years back when me and my fiance first started dating I took her out to the desert with some friends to introduce her to firearms and safety. She loved shooting and always kept the muzzle down range, finger off the trigger and asked questions whenever she had them... until the 12 gauge. We all warned her multiple times "it has recoil." "Be careful." Well the first shot was sort of off the side of the hip, and she said "oh thats not as bad as I was expecting." Second shot off the shoulder she yelped and swung the business end towards everyone. I grabbed the barrel and ripped it from her hands. That was my first encounter with a swipe. Scary stuff! We joke about it now when we go out, but wow

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
I was recently visiting Cabela's to try out (and purchase) a new EOtech for my AR15. Having never dealt with any form of optics before beyond iron sights, I brought my AR with me in a soft-sided case so that I could test-fit it to the rail before plunking down my cash.

As I walk in the front door, as expected, I am confronted, asked if there's a firearm in the case, etc. The lady then has me lay the case on the counter, open it, and she begins to check to make sure it's unloaded. In the process of clearing the action and dry firing into a metal tube thingy next to the counter (which had a red piece of plastic inserted into the chamber that sticks out of the ejection port, and it was of course very much unloaded without even a magazine in the case) she swept me, two of her co-workers, and probably a dozen customers that were passing by. With that kind of muzzle discipline, I'm surprised she even knew how to check an AR.

In any case, she slaps a trigger lock on there, cases it back up, and off I go to the firearms department. All goes well there, I get my shiny new EOtech, and mention to the gun counter person my little experience at the front door. She IMMEDIATELY high-tails it to the front counter to track that person down and reams her a new one. Hopefully that is a lesson learned.

While I fully understand their 'reason' for clearing guns that they know you intend to uncase/fondle/mess with during your visit, I still found the whole thing funny since i was OC-ing a .40 USP w/Jet Funnel the whole time.
You should look up the video by a guy who had a bad OC experience in Cabela's on youtube.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Either last year or the year before, there was an incident here at the local gun show at the fairgrounds (either there or the Abba Temple, don't recall which). A seller had mistakenly left ONE ROUND of live ammo in a rifle. Doesn't check it, just hands it to someone asking to look at it. They do not check either, just looks down the sights and aims at the roof and BAM! Needless to say, the seller gathers everything he has in a very quick fashion and leaves within minutes.

Viorel

imported post

I know some of you all rag on Marines, but I have to say that from personal experience, Marines are, by leaps and bounds, more conscience about firearm safety than the Army.

I was tasked to run a consolidated armory on a deployment (the armorer at the time was a dirtbag & got pulled). Anyway, I would pay special attention to soldiers handling their weapons while in line as well as how they would turn-in their weapons. Honestly, I was floored.

Bolts/slides weren't locked back before being presented to the door (which was wide open, no window usage at all). Weapons offered were handed off as if they were passing broomsticks. It was insane.

On the MP side, watching idiots standing in front of clearing barrels and not bothering to point the weapon in it.

Honestly, with the caliber of folks I've met, it amazes me sometimes how we win wars.

XD40coyote

imported post

I was invited to go to a range by this older guy ( 70's, Korean war vet, retired corrections officer) who has been around guns "forever". He must be getting senile or he is just plain stupid. During this he had an unloaded Ruger mk2 pistol, and he pointed it at me. I think he did it without even thinking. I tore into him over it and he was like " what's the big deal, you and I both know it's unloaded". Another time I saw him at a Goodwill store in PA, and he wanted me to see his new slug gun, so what does he do? He takes it out in a public parking lot and asks me to put it to my shoulder and look down the scope. Umm, no? I don't think so. Needless to say, I will never go shooting with him again, and am glad he doesn't have a carry lisc ( he kept complaining to me that "they" kept trying to give him a MD carry lisc" after he retired from corrections). He would probably be an ND waiting to happen. Oh and last time I ran into him he told me he hates open carry LOL. He now rates even lower.

It is also pathetic when an 11 year old boy is more gun safety concious than grown adults. I let a customer's son fire a 1911, and he was excellent in not only his gun safety, but also on the target. He took hunters safety and has had his dad coach him ( his dad took a few shots too and was as good as his son).Grown adults thatI have allowed to come shoot at my place have muzzle swept me too many times to count. All but 1 time the guns were unloaded. The loaded incident was swifty corrected and there was no complaining by the offender. The unloaded sweepings were by another person, and I have said something with the worst of them and gotten guff for it. One time he was goofing around while indoors and loaded the chamber and was just holding the gun unholstered. I was all over him, and he hasn't done it since.

When I hosted a small shooting party with some PA OCers, I had no problems at all. Everyone was tip top responsible.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Couple years back when me and my fiance first started dating I took her out to the desert with some friends to introduce her to firearms and safety. She loved shooting and always kept the muzzle down range, finger off the trigger and asked questions whenever she had them... until the 12 gauge. We all warned her multiple times "it has recoil." "Be careful." Well the first shot was sort of off the side of the hip, and she said "oh thats not as bad as I was expecting." Second shot off the shoulder she yelped and swung the business end towards everyone. I grabbed the barrel and ripped it from her hands. That was my first encounter with a swipe. Scary stuff! We joke about it now when we go out, but wow
Oh, wow! That's a bit of an overreaction on her part, isn't it? All you have to do is seat it properly in the shoulder. I first fired a shotgun when I was just recently out of the Army, and was really small at the time (about 117lb, on a medium to large frame). Sure, there was kick, but not so bad I could not control it. Even hit the target.

okboomer

imported post

A couple of years ago, 5 of us were at the range at H&H in OKC firing pistols on two lanes in the rifle range. In walks these two young guys with a .50 cal revolver they had rented from the store. They load the pistol and seem to be aware that guns should always be pointed downrange, but I cannot swear to that as I was at the line and firing the last two rounds in my mag. I lay the pistol down and step back to let the next shooter up to the line and I notice the RSO is standing outside looking through the observation glass. Watching the young guys. The first one stepped to the line and raised the pistol and fired one shot down range and then turned around and swept all of us with the loaded .50 cal from about 8' :what:

That RSO and the other one from the pistol range next door were inside and yanked those young guys outside so fastthat I thought theymight have jumpedthrough the glass. Needless to say, the rifle range RSO stayed right with those two guys until they left. Which they did after one cylinder each. I got the impression that particular trip to the range wasn't quite as fun as it had been :banghead:

AbNo

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
When I was shopping for my Walther P-38 I was at a local shop in Southern Indiana.. I asked to see the P-38 in the case.. The employee opened the case.. took the gun out.. practiced good gun safety by pointing the muzzle down and away then racked the slide to check it.. and ejected a live round.. :shock:

We both paused.. looked at each other.. then he shrugged and said "Well? that's why we check 'em"

-Adam
Well, it IS.... :uhoh:

Viorel wrote:
I know some of you all rag on Marines, but I have to say that from personal experience, Marines are, by leaps and bounds, more conscience about firearm safety than the Army.
How does that go? "Ain't Ready for Marines Yet"? :lol:

45acpForMe

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
cabbitone wrote:
(snip)...now here comes the scary part Six rounds between the chamber and the mag she turns around sweeping everyone not shooting with the gun loaded, round in the chamber, safety off cheering and jumping slightly saying "I did it!". I can honestly say that was one of the scariest things in my life..

Had a similar situation at an indoor range a few years ago.. A guy was there with his girlfriend (neither were friends or acquaintances of mine) and he was teaching her how to shoot. She had his Glock 17 or 19 (it was a full size Glock..) and he had her all positioned and lined up for a shot.. he steps back from her and gives her the go ahead.. BAM!.. BAMBAM! she then turns.. sweeps the room.. finger ON the trigger (hello trigger safety is now off.. YIKES!) smiles and says "WOW that wasn't so BAD.....? why's everyone on the floor?"

We all started yelling, "POINT IT DOWNRANGE! DOWNRANGE!"

pucker factor about 8.5

I have been swept numerous times at gun stores and gun shows. I taught my daughters everything I knew before taking them to the range and told them the barrel points downrange ONLY and told them not to dance around or turn to talk holding the gun. (I physically demonstrated all bad actions) I then related the story of my CHP class where the instructor said, "I have 3 guns on me and they are all loaded. If any one of you f____s points a barrel at me I will shoot you!" That little speech was necessary because we had many novices in the class and one woman quit after shooting the gun once. :what:

B

Bikenut

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I have been swept numerous times at gun stores and gun shows. I taught my daughters everything I knew before taking them to the range and told them the barrel points downrange ONLY and told them not to dance around or turn to talk holding the gun. (I physically demonstrated all bad actions) I then related the story of my CHP class where the instructor said, "I have 3 guns on me and they are all loaded. If any one of you f____s points a barrel at me I will shoot you!" That little speech was necessary because we had many novices in the class and one woman quit after shooting the gun once. :what:
Jeeze Louise!...... at the instructor.....

45acpForMe

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Jeeze Louise!...... at the instructor.....

Actually the instructor is a great guy that has more firearm knowledge in his head than I could wish to learn. He is an retired police officer and can tell you how to breakdown almost any gun and its strengths and weaknesses.

If you saw our class you would understand why he was so adamant. One guy was loading bullets in the magazine backwards, another guy shot his lane-neighbors target, and of course the middle aged woman was shaking so much after shooting her (rented) pistol once that she quit the course right then and there.

AbNo

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I then related the story of my CHP class where the instructor said, "I have 3 guns on me and they are all loaded. If any one of you f____s points a barrel at me I will shoot you!" That little speech was necessary because we had many novices in the class and one woman quit after shooting the gun once. :what:
That sounds like a more serious version of my speech when I take noobies shooting.

"If you point that at me, I will hit you with it."

I haven't had to hit anyone yet. :)

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I don't think mine would be as effective:

If you point that thing at me, I'll mess my drawers.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would duck first and admonish later. All of you with your gun grabbing and barrel hitting... :what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
The first shop I ever bought a gun from - Jo Jo's Gun and Pawn - in Birmingham, Alabama, is a shop I will never, ever go into again.

One of the customers there asked if she could see the CLERKS personal sidearm. Stupid.

Then the clerk ACTUALLY unholsters the gun. Stupid.

Starts to hand it to her, BARREL FIRST.

Gun goes off and KILLS HER on the spot. She had two kids.

When I'm in a gun store now, I don't hesitate to tell anyone to not point that thing at me you *&%#^SS.
Similar details, but decidedly different flavor to the story.
http://bhamwiki.com/w/JoJo's_Gun_and_Pawn

Yata hey