• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MO OC Pamphlet

cash50

imported post

Guys, I was just thinking...(scary, I know) how about an informational pamphlet for us to carry around while OC'ing??

You know when someone gives you that look, or asks a question, and you explain to them the law. Well, this would give some more reading material, plus citations to actual law + places in MO where OC is legal + general MO gun laws.

I'm putting this together now, so any contributing ideas are appreciated.

Article1section23

imported post

I know somebody already did this..perhaps look through the old threads.

Here it is...not sure who did it?

Well I've got the old PDF, so it's got to be on the site....I can't upload it because the file size is limited to 100k.

Big Boy

imported post

It'd be kind of a neat idea, but also kind of hard considering all the different municipalities and their differing laws.

goalseter88

imported post

i think that's a great idea, yah the different cities municipality's laws is kinda difficult, but you could always just make a short list of the major cities that allow OC. a pamphlet is only got so much room on it, and listing every city that allows OC would prob take upmost of the space. you want to leave room to explain the benefits of OC etc.if the pamphlet does its job they probably will come on here for more detailed questions and answers about OC and can look up the full lists of cities that ppl have already put together or can figure out how to find their city that they are looking for if its not already listed.

to me the main idea of a pamphlet isnt about answering all the questions, it is more about giving a summarized explanation of what the pamphlet about and lead them to where he can find the full version (like this website) and in this case to get him to OC. even if you could put everything on a pamphlet, it prob be overwhelming causing you to probably just chuck it in the nearest trash can

anyhow if you make one i love to get an email of it, and if you need any help on it i be more then glad to help as much as i can.

Big Boy

imported post

^Very good point. It's just a catalyst to get them interested and provide somewhere they can go to look up more info.

It's a good idea, if you make one post it up here.

cash50

imported post

I don't think I'd try to explain every municipalities' laws, but I'd give them an internet link or other info so they could check it out for themselves.

Also, I'll look back and see if I can find the old pamphlet.

cash50

imported post

I don't think I'd try to explain every municipalities' laws, but I'd give them an internet link or other info so they could check it out for themselves.

Also, I'll look back and see if I can find the old pamphlet.

goalseter88

imported post

i got the pamplet and took a look at it. it has some good info on it. but i not sure it really promotes open carry. to me it seems to be just promoting that guns awareness. it has some facts on it but none have anything to do with the OC. i did like the short list of legal OC cities. i not sure how old it is so i going to take a look and see if its still up to date.

i going to try to tweek it to more promote OC. i keep the original still incase i just make it worse lol:p

silo

imported post

Do you want to make it more pro-OC or more pro-carry gun? I would think, although I could be wrong, that the public would be more willing to ignore OC if you had some good points for being pro-carry. And I'm not saying carry concealed; just carry in general.

So, for example, instead of saying, "Outside carrying deters crimes," say "States with pro-carry laws have x decrease in crime than states without such laws." By skipping the OC designation, you're making them more willing to consider being OK with both OC and CC.

Just a thought! Feel free to disagree.

MK

imported post

I think any pamphlet promoting the open carrying of weapons in Missouri should state loud and clear to the reader that they have a duty to themselvesto check their local laws thoroughly. Its a good thing to remind people of this.

Just a list of cities that allow open carry without any other specific information about any particular town could put a carrier in jeopardy if they don't do further research first. For instance, one list I've seen here lists Columbia as an open carry city but when you look through the local ordinances, open carry isunlawful in city parks.

I was thinking of taking my little girl to Bethel Park to play at the playground but did a double check of the city ordinances first just to make sure, and sure enough, possession of firearms within the parks isunlawful except for concealed firearms with a validendorsement or permit as written in Sec 17-98.

Who knows what specifics could be written within the many different towns and ordinances in regards to open carry in this state.

Article1section23

imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
i got the pamplet and took a look at it. it has some good info on it. but i not sure it really promotes open carry. to me it seems to be just promoting that guns awareness. it has some facts on it but none have anything to do with the OC. i did like the short list of legal OC cities. i not sure how old it is so i going to take a look and see if its still up to date.

i going to try to tweek it to more promote OC. i keep the original still incase i just make it worse lol:p

Suggestion....put in some wording from the MOSC saying its ok to OC. I have some postedin its own thread, but they have been taken down. Also,I know of other links that have been taken down...not sure whats going on. I'll send an PM to Mike and try to find out.

Let me know if you want me to look them up and get them for you.

opencarryinmo

imported post

Also keep in mind that many of the cities listed in the stl area do not allow open carry at all or if they do maybe you still have to have ccw permit to do so just some words of wisdom.