• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So what's considered "secure"?

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

I was wodering if a lockable tool bag is acceptable?

Is not the purpose of the locked container while transporting to make your gun as inaccessible as possble to you?

It doesn't seem that the law was written to prevent theft...

Just wondering.

demnogis

imported post

CA PC 12026.1 (c) answers your question. There is no "list of approved containers". The requirements are specific:

Code:
 (c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.
The law was not written to prevent theft. It was to prevent law abiding citizens from accessing their firearms whilst transporting/possessing them.

Gundude

imported post

I'm thinking of a styrofoam to go box from Applebee's. Punch a hole in it and padlock it closed, or a brown paper bag folded over and padlocked.

zimdbw74

imported post

I use a soft case on the passengers seat with the padlock unlocked and the case open, If you get lite up lock it and throw it on the floor. I will not be defenseless the second amendment is my carry permit.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

So I went to the tool store and bought a tool bag with a hard bottom for $6.00

It has a loop on the end that I can slip a pad lock through and the lock can hold the zipper in place so the bag can't be opened without unlocking the lock.

Here's a picture:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The law gives guidelines. It will be up to the judge/jury to decide if you met the criteria ("met" as in past tense, as in your ass is already in the sling).

I think the bag you chose is fine. Styrofoam boxes and paper bags would be on very shaky ground if ever brought into a court of law.

Gundude

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
The law gives guidelines. It will be up to the judge/jury to decide if you met the criteria ("met" as in past tense, as in your ass is already in the sling).

I think the bag you chose is fine. Styrofoam boxes and paper bags would be on very shaky ground if ever brought into a court of law.
Maybe I should put a large "JK" at the end of my attempts at humor. Don't use a paper bag or a styrofoam container.

sjalterego

imported post

zimdbw74 wrote:
I use a soft case on the passengers seat with the padlock unlocked and the case open, If you get lite up lock it and throw it on the floor. I will not be defenseless the second amendment is my carry permit.
Instead of saying what you do (which could be evidence against you ast some point in time in the future) you could state, a wise person could . . .

coolusername2007

imported post

Gundude wrote:
I'm thinking of a styrofoam to go box from Applebee's. Punch a hole in it and padlock it closed, or a brown paper bag folded over and padlocked.
LOL. Only if you could prove you aren't capable of fighting your way out of paper bag. Then be default you couldn't very well fight your way into a paper bag! Hence the "secure container" language. LOL.

markm

imported post

Hey Gundude,

No need for the "JK" as I understood your humor, and it was relevent to me because when I showed off two of my "locked containers" to a POST certified peace officer-- he said: "if you could put a lock on paper bag, you meet the standard."

I either use my wife's make-up case or a Porter Cable tool bag witha TSA lock. Previously, when I have carried the paisley patterned andpastel colored bag into hotels, people probably thought that I was a gay-guy from Kalifornia. People in other states notice PRK license plates. While in Utah, I received some really long stares. I don't think anybody suspected that I was pack'in heat in themake-upbag.
My wife was travelling with me --don't worry!(not that there is anything wrong with that!)

For other occasions, I have used a .50 cent Porter Cable tool bag. I bought it on clearance for the price stated above. It has a shoulder strap.

I have received two opinions from LEO regarding the type of container that is legal and both have agreed that thetool bag pictured is OK (in their opinion).

markm

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Gundude wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Maybe I should put a large "JK" at the end of my attempts at humor. Don't use a paper bag or a styrofoam container.
I've seen people (not necessarily just you) say dumber things on this forum... just don't want the newbs to be confused.

SigMan180

imported post

Can you have loaded magazinesin the same locked container that your gun is in? I looked for over an hour trying to find the answer to this questions but could'nt find it. :banghead:

demnogis

imported post

Another topic discussed to death. There is no law prohibiting loaded magazines (or ammo in general) from being in the same container as a firearm. The only prohibition is on the firearm being loaded.

SigMan180 wrote:
Can you have loaded magazinesin the same locked container that your gun is in? I looked for over an hour trying to find the answer to this questions but could'nt find it. :banghead:

Army

imported post

SigMan180 wrote:
What if I have my unloaded handgun ina locked container and I take my daughter to school? (I park in the parking lot of the school and walk her to the gate)

You can have your daughter sitting atop a pile of ammo and filled magazines on the front seat..... as long as the firearm is in a locked container.

The law only cares if the weapon is loaded or not.

ryanburbridge

imported post

This is great. I just bought a gear bag to LUCC and will post pics when it is done. Dose anyone else practice this every day? Would some of you mind showing some pics of actual gear they use? Dose any one practic drawing and loading from your gear at the range? If so how dose your setup work for you? This is somthing I will be doing every day until I can obtain a CCW in CA. I would much rather have a way to protect my familiy anywhere I go then to leave my gun at home. I practice UOC but can not do so every place. This is the next best thing in my opinion. What do you guys think?