• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What The NRA Does For You

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Just got to my May 2010 copy of America's 1st Freedom today. Here is an interesting and important article by Wayne LaPierre. Interesting, because it details some hard to remember major issues that the NRA has worked successfully on.

Important, because each of these specified accomplishments, taken individually and especially cumulatively, serve as a structural base for our greatly enhanced state of gun ownership/gun buying/gun carrying.

I'd love to read comments about these accomplishments from folks here. Like marshaul, Leverdude, etc. Anyone really, pro, basher, member, non-member. Even from ole Dougwho was a NRA Instructor for a number of years. But now, you're decidedly anti-NRA. Doug, what do you think about the points raised in the following article?

STANDING GUARD
By Wayne LaPierre

What The NRA Does For You

"What's the NRA done for me?"

That question was recently posed by a young man at an airport. He recognized me and struck up a conversation about gun control. I asked him if he was an NRA member and he said, "No." That's when he hit me with, "What's NRA done for me?"

As NRA members, we've all heard that question—especially from casual gun owners who enjoy the benefit of our success—and I guess your reaction is the same as mine: It's worth a thoughtful response.

Before I answered, I wanted to know more about him—always a key to confronting a lack of knowledge or misconception.

Did he believe in the Second Amendment? "You bet."

Did he believe in the right to carry? "Absolutely. I have a permit." The right to armed self-defense? "Of course." Was he a collector? "Yes." Semi-automatics? "Everybody should own an AR."

Was he a target shooter? He proudly corrected me. "A precision shooter."

A hunter? "Yes."

Just then he was called to board his plane. So I knew I had to answer that question in print for his benefit and for your use.

First and foremost, he can thank the NRA for our 35 years supporting the superb scholarship and practical legal experience that led to the U.S. Supreme Court's June 2008 definitive ruling declaring the Second Amendment to protect an individual constitutional right. That case struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns and the ban on any armed self-defense in the home. It wouldn't have happened without the NRA. That goes for the case pending before the same court challenging Chicago's ban and demanding that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms apply to state and local governments.

The NRA grassroots effort that re-elected President George W. Bush centered on the importance of his high court appointments. Without that total commitment, the court would surely have been dominated by Al Gore's and John Kerry's gun-ban appointees.

Beyond the high court, in broad strokes, here's what the NRA has achieved for my airport inquisitor based on his interests:

He exercises the right to carry and he can thank the NRA for his "shall-issue" permit. Since 1987, that right has been extended to 40 states with 36 states issuing permits to all qualified applicants.

If this young man had carried or even possessed a firearm in a national park before Feb. 20, 2010, it would have been a crime. Thanks to the NRA and our friends in Congress, citizens can now possess and carry firearms in federal parklands in conformity with the laws of the state.

As for today's array of handgun designs and models available to consumers, our friend can thank the NRA for defeating every national scheme to ban pistols and revolvers—from so-called concealable "Saturday Night Specials," to handguns with polymer frames, to semi-automatics capable of using "high capacity magazines," to handguns in small or large caliber, to handguns not possessing built-in "smart gun" technology.

Then there is the question of ammunition. The NRA Institute for Legislative Action's first decisive victory in 1977 prevented the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from outlawing handgun ammunition as a "hazardous substance" in the home.

As to where a firearm can be used in lawful self-defense, the NRA has been responsible for Castle Doctrine laws enacted in 24 states, many replacing laws that required potential victims of violent crime to run away when confronted with deadly force outside their homes. We've already preserved the rights of employees in 12 states who wish to keep lawful firearms locked and properly stored in their vehicles.

Among the citizen safeguards in the landmark 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act, known as the Firearms Owners' Protection Act, is a provision protecting gun owners traversing any state with properly stored firearms. Previous to that, gun owners traveling through states like New Jersey were subject to felony prosecution for illegal possession for transporting a gun in their vehicle.

That law reformed the worst provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and curbed massive abuse of power against gun owners, licensed dealers and collectors.

That brings me to how my young inquirer obtains his firearms. From dealers? At gun shows? From other lawful individuals? Were it not for the NRA, all of those sources would have been closed down long ago.

Through enactment of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005, Congress effectively slammed the door on scores of big city lawsuits designed to put federally licensed gun dealers and manufacturers out of business.

We have held the line against Brady Campaign and Violence Policy Center legislation intended to close gun shows nationwide. As for criminalizing now-lawful intrastate sales between individuals—the goal of the Brady Campaign—we have blocked that one as well.

As for the young man's ownership of an AR-15, the NRA was responsible for the sunset provisions of the onerous Clinton gun ban, and we used our collective might to make sure that worthless ban faded from law.

"Precision shooter?" We have stopped bans on accurate rifles claimed to be "sniper rifles."

There is more: we worked to arm airline pilots, an essential to protecting passengers.

And he can thank the NRA for keeping the United Nations' gun-ban treaty at bay.

Without the NRA, this young man would have no place to shoot or to hunt. Preserving and developing both has long been an aggressive NRA effort, as is our gun safety focus in training millions of gun owners and law enforcement officers.

Anyone who asks that question— "What's NRA done for me" —owes a deep debt they can pay by joining our ranks.

As NRA members, we share a sense of pride in what our members and dedicated staff have accomplished.

To show unity and strength in answering new challenges to our rights, I urge you to attend the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Charlotte, N.C., May 13-16, and to participate in our Celebration of American Values Freedom Weekend at this important moment in freedom's history.

http://www.nrapublications.org/SG/index.asp

25sierraman

imported post

I just finished reading that article actually. It's nice to see it broken down for people. I know a few guys who are pretty deeply involved gun owners however they do not participate in any sort of gun rights activity. They wont join the NRA or the VCDL which kind of baffles me. I feel its almost a responsibility to help support my right to own a gun (which it shouldn't be that way but unfortunately it is). Good post!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm going to address just one small portion of the NRA's list of accomplishments: "If this young man had carried or even possessed a firearm in a national park before Feb. 20, 2010, it would have been a crime. Thanks to the NRA and our friends in Congress, citizens can now possess and carry firearms in federal parklands in conformity with the laws of the state."

Essentially that is a confabulated statement. NRA was not the lead agency in the effort. As a matter of fact they were initially vehemently opposed, citing such matters as "timing" and "politcal expediency". However, when it appeared that the rest of the gun-rights community had already gone ahead and was about to score through passage of legislation, the NRA jumped on the bandwagon and claimed to be both a major mover-shaker and the ones who first carried the flag for the effort.

Yes, it is important to pick your battles, based on your view of the world. But if you put forth statements that "now is not the time" and "we are unwilling to risk losing our allies over this issue" then you should have the decency to stick to your guns [pun intended] and not attempt to both climb onto the bandwagon at the last moment and claim leadership and heavy lifting creditsfrom the git-go a mere three blocks from the finish line.

stay safe.

skidmark

sraacke

imported post

Skidmark,

They did the same thing with the Heller case.

I won't support the NRA. There are better 2A groups out there who will take the fight to the enemy.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

yale wrote:
Skidmark,

I won't support the NRA. There are better 2A groups out there who will take the fight to the enemy.

Like who?

Who, for example, works on opposing the United Nations' gun-ban treaty?

Lastly, who do you support with your membership?

NightOwl

imported post

The NRAalso took time away from Gura to argue Due Process during McDonald, rather than leaving it to Gura to work in his back-up arguement as he felt necessary. While not anti-2A, per se, I believe it was a major blow against civil rights in this country.

The NRA is not my friend. As my financial situation improves, I'll be donating to the SAF then Calguns, in that order. NRA is not on the list.

To put it another way, let's say you know a guy who is a good fella, helpful and knowledgable, someone who you enjoy hanging out with. Yet, every once in a while the guy winds up and kicks you in the nuts as hard as he can. But most of the time, really good guy. Do you hang out with him? I'll pass.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
yale wrote:
Skidmark,

Like who?

+ 1. If every gun owner belonged to the NRA ( 90 Million in the USA ) Anti 2A gun laws would be a thing of the past , Wisconsin would have had CC years ago & The Brady Bunch would be that lame show you watch on Retro TV. When the President signs on to the UN Gun Ban treaty , I don't want to hear a peep from you anti NRA people. Go ahead join the GOA, but they don't have the teeth that the NRA has.
Instead of complaining about the NRA, try thanking them for the simple fact you still can legally own a gun.

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:

To show unity and strength in answering new challenges to our rights, I urge you to attend the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Charlotte, N.C., May 13-16, and to participate in our Celebration of American Values Freedom Weekend at this important moment in freedom's history.

http://www.nrapublications.org/SG/index.asp

But one American freedom you cannot participate in at the convention is open carry!

Do we need to say more?

eye95

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Do we need to say more?

Yes. You need to say more.

Seriously, it is moronic to the max that the NRA is meeting at a no-gun venue--unless they were going to take advantage of the situation to protest and poke fun at the idiocy of the rule.

However, implying that that situation alone is enough to dismiss the NRA is senseless hyperbole. The NRA may not tackle the issues that you prefer or with the zeal you think they should, but they clearly have advanced the cause of the RKBA.

By all means, join an organization (or form one) that advocates the RKBA in the same way you do, but trashing an ally--even one that you think could have been a much more effective ally--is self-destructive to the cause.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Edited to add quote to avoid confusion that could result from an intervening post.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Like who?

+ 1. If every gun owner belonged to the NRA ( 90 Million in the USA ) Anti 2A gun laws would be a thing of the past , Wisconsin would have had CC years ago & The Brady Bunch would be that lame show you watch on Retro TV. When the President signs on to the UN Gun Ban treaty , I don't want to hear a peep from you anti NRA people. Go ahead join the GOA, but they don't have the teeth that the NRA has.
Instead of complaining about the NRA, try thanking them for the simple fact you still can legally own a gun.
If every gun owner was a member they would collect dues for 35 years, oppose challanges to unconstitutional laws, take a back seat to any challange of those laws, then claim all of the credit. In other words, they would do the same thing they do now.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Like who?

If every gun owner was a member they would collect dues for 35 years, oppose challanges to unconstitutional laws, take a back seat to any challange of those laws, then claim all of the credit. In other words, they would do the same thing they do now.
After the 'enemies' comment above, this association, of G LOC K34 and HenriettaTG, is pretty funny. They're troll pigs.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Such simplistic babble. You might read Clausewitz on enemies.

Admiral Sergey Gorshkov, perhaps Admiral Rickover's Soviet opposite, hung

"'Better' is the enemy of 'Good Enough'," hung on the wall of his office as a motto.

I learned it from a surgeon.

Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted, of course.

Doug, you were a NRA certified instructor for, what?, over ten years? Did the NRA start sliding after you joined up? Or before? What caused you to stop using their initials on your business card?

kwikrnu wrote:

What do you think about the NRA's work in the area of Castle Doctrine laws, KNU?

Good, bad, mediocre? What's youranalysis?

Has the GOA been leading the way on that important issue?

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
After the 'enemies' comment above, this association, of G LOC K34 and HenriettaTG, is pretty funny. They're troll pigs.
C'mon, Doug. Be nice. We're having a conversation here. Why don't you contribute rather than tear down?

wrightme

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
What The NRA Does For Me?

Tells me not to Open Carry.

Overcharges me for self defense classes.
The NRA does not give you sd classes.

When has the NRA told you not to Open Carry, and if they actually have, in what context?

wrightme

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Do we need to say more?
Yes. You need to say more.

Seriously, it is moronic to the max that the NRA is meeting at a no-gun venue--unless they were going to take advantage of the situation to protest and poke fun at the idiocy of the rule.

However, implying that that situation alone is enough to dismiss the NRA is senseless hyperbole. The NRA may not tackle the issues that you prefer or with the zeal you think they should, but they clearly have advanced the cause of the RKBA.

By all means, join an organization (or form one) that advocates the RKBA in the same way you do, but trashing an ally--even one that you think could have been a much more effective ally--is self-destructive to the cause.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Edited to add quote to avoid confusion that could result from an intervening post.
Go find them a suitable venue that allows firearms. Go ahead and try. That was adequately discussed in another thread already.