Thread: Ruger SR9

Post imported post

I just recently purchased a Ruger SR9, still waiting for it to ship from Washington. From everything I have read and watched it seems like a good, quality gun which is why I bought it. Just curious what everyone's view on the SR9 is? I searched the posts and didn't see any post dedicated to the SR9 so I hope this is not repetitive.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Post imported post

while i don't personally own an SR9, a friend of mine brings his every time he comes by to do some shooting out back.

that said, it seems like a decent pistol. it's pretty reliable (only a handful of FTE's) and pretty accurate though my friend thought he was a genius and screwed the sights up a bit and can't seem to get 'em back quite right.

the only thing that i don't like about it is the feel of the grip. for me it's a bit too thin but that is just my personal preference. maybe putting a Hogue Handall on it would help, but then again it's not my gun.

HTH

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

my personal experience the grips felt awsome i was upset win one of my former co-workers got one;i tried it and loved it...

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I've got one. I've put about 1200 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. I really like this gun. I'm able to shoot some pretty tight 3 & 5 shot groups with it (10 yards, rapid fire). Pretty low recoil. One of my favorite things about it is the thin profile - its very easily concealable (for a fullsize pistol).

Whenever I come across someone who doesn't own a handgun & is considering one, THIS is the gun that I recommend. It is a good, quality 9mm & is VERY affordable. Most places I've seen them between $400-$450.
    Carry on!

Post imported post

while i only have about 200 rounds through one, i loved shooting it. its a great 9mm and very slim and has a great magazine capacity. but like i said, i havent put enough rounds through it to have an opinion on its reliability

Post imported post

I have the SR9 compact and I'm impressed with it's performance and accuracy. I was asking my FFL dealer for his opinion on the SR9 when he took out a SR9c that was a return from a customer who had it for a day and never fired it but traded it back in for a revolver. It was offered to me for $329 ($100 off) since it's considered used although never fired. I couldn't pass that price up and haven't regretted the purchase. With the extended mag, the grip size is the same but the barrel is 3.5" compared to 4.17" of the full size SR9. I've run about 400rds through it and haven't had an issue. I've thoroughly cleaned off the packing grease and reoiled it before I started shooting it. I read on the Ruger forum that some people have experienced problems with light strikes on the primer because of the factory grease within the striker pin assembly. You'll need to clean it before using.
    I'm a CZ and Springfield XD fan at heart, but I really like my SR9c

Post imported post

ohhhh CZ makes some fine weapons.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

@ Marerro Jeff: I was just looking at the HK-USP9, and I must say, it looks like Ruger was trying to copy some design ideas from HK on the SR9. Whaddya think?
    Carry on!

Post imported post

what ideas were you thinking of? they don't look too similar imo

Post imported post

I have had an SR9 for about two months now.. I bought the Viridian green laser with the promo.. sadlyI have yet to fire it.. I do hate the manual safety though, everytime I grab the slide to rack it I seem to get my fingers pinched underneath that safety tab. The trigger pretty well sucks too.. but there is a thread on the ruger forum about trigger jobs and Ghost makes a trigger bar for it now too