• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR9

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just recently purchased a Ruger SR9, still waiting for it to ship from Washington. From everything I have read and watched it seems like a good, quality gun which is why I bought it. Just curious what everyone's view on the SR9 is? I searched the posts and didn't see any post dedicated to the SR9 so I hope this is not repetitive.:cool:

Broondog

imported post

while i don't personally own an SR9, a friend of mine brings his every time he comes by to do some shooting out back.

that said, it seems like a decent pistol. it's pretty reliable (only a handful of FTE's) and pretty accurate though my friend thought he was a genius and screwed the sights up a bit and can't seem to get 'em back quite right.

the only thing that i don't like about it is the feel of the grip. for me it's a bit too thin but that is just my personal preference. maybe putting a Hogue Handall on it would help, but then again it's not my gun.

HTH

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I've got one. I've put about 1200 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. I really like this gun. I'm able to shoot some pretty tight 3 & 5 shot groups with it (10 yards, rapid fire). Pretty low recoil. One of my favorite things about it is the thin profile - its very easily concealable (for a fullsize pistol).

Whenever I come across someone who doesn't own a handgun & is considering one, THIS is the gun that I recommend. It is a good, quality 9mm & is VERY affordable. Most places I've seen them between $400-$450.

marrero jeff

imported post

while i only have about 200 rounds through one, i loved shooting it. its a great 9mm and very slim and has a great magazine capacity. but like i said, i havent put enough rounds through it to have an opinion on its reliability

midnight61

imported post

I have the SR9 compact and I'm impressed with it's performance and accuracy. I was asking my FFL dealer for his opinion on the SR9 when he took out a SR9c that was a return from a customer who had it for a day and never fired it but traded it back in for a revolver. It was offered to me for $329 ($100 off) since it's considered used although never fired. I couldn't pass that price up and haven't regretted the purchase. With the extended mag, the grip size is the same but the barrel is 3.5" compared to 4.17" of the full size SR9. I've run about 400rds through it and haven't had an issue. I've thoroughly cleaned off the packing grease and reoiled it before I started shooting it. I read on the Ruger forum that some people have experienced problems with light strikes on the primer because of the factory grease within the striker pin assembly. You'll need to clean it before using.
I'm a CZ and Springfield XD fan at heart, but I really like my SR9c

xD.45Service

imported post

I have had an SR9 for about two months now.. I bought the Viridian green laser with the promo.. sadlyI have yet to fire it.. I do hate the manual safety though, everytime I grab the slide to rack it I seem to get my fingers pinched underneath that safety tab. The trigger pretty well sucks too.. but there is a thread on the ruger forum about trigger jobs and Ghost makes a trigger bar for it now too