• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personnel Policy

S

scubabeme

imported post

I have no knowledge of other cities' personnel policies, but I'm hearing rumblings that a local municipality is at least considering prohibiting city employees from carrying, even concealed, on city property and/or while at work.

Now I know a private company can use personnel rules to keep emplyees from carrying, as it's private property and that's covered by law. What about a governmental entity?

Along with the banning of carrying at work goes not being able to store weapons in private vehicles on city property and--this is the kicker--employees' vehicles will be subject to search! That's how the rumbling goes.

Next comes the enforcement of this policy. If properly concealed, how would they know--body searches? If so, EVERYBODY, or just those who can be identified as CCW holders because of the police department's access to such information? How often? Vehicle searches--same thing.

Then there's the issue of whether this only applies while at work, or 24x7? What EXACTLY constitutes city property--will employees be subject to dismissal if "discovered" carrying while walking their dog in an open space area? (Again--how is it discovered if properly concealed???)

Personal opinion--they'd be opening a SERIOUS can of worms if they tried.

Suburban78

imported post

Please keep us up todate on this one. I just started with a local city and that will be a huge issue with me as a carrier and armed citizen. I hope this goes nowhere fast. We need to do another breakfast soon.

entartet17

imported post

State employees are already prohibited from carrying at work (unless it's part of your job like state patrol) thanks to an executive order from when Romer was governor. He issued it under the guise of preventing violence in the workplace. What a joke.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

Not trying to be an antagonistic, but what is the difference between me working for a corporation or the local city gov't/ public entity?. They both can make workplace rules. Just because you work for a City, State job does not mean that there are not workplace rules. I am not allowed to have a firearm at work, nor can I have alcohol or other controlled substances other than perscriptions. Why wouldn't a city be able to inact the same rules for the workplace.

Regarding auto ect, there are protections already in place for you once you leave your place of employment, unless it is a company (city) provided vehicle and you are required to be on call or work after hours. They can not control you outside the workforce. You may be working for a public entity but it is not a public job without any rules. Can they enact workplace rules that go beyond normal considerations for workplace safety? Not sure. They would not be able to search my car or any of my other property unless they had a warrant, which normally requires some type of criminal influence. What about a normal customer usng the premise who has his/her firearm properly secured in a vehicle on the same premise. They would have to hold everyone coming onto the premise to the same rules and have a hard time discriminating against employees. Just my two cents.. but because of of Obama is is only worth 25% of that...

S

scubabeme

imported post

Wow, I expected more "bytes" on this. I've stayed quiet for a while, just reading.

Yeh, I figure they'reprobably within their rights (And in actualityput the "while at work" ban in place a couple years ago). I was really trying to stir up some discussion.

Oh, well.

cscitney87

imported post

Same discussion can be had about most employers. Say.. you work for Safeway grocery market. Safeway says; No Employees may possess weapons while on store property.

An employee has a CHP.

This employee will be carrying his pistol, concealed, while working at and for Safeway.

If *Somehow* the employees carry status was made public- the employee could be immediately fired and made to leave the premises.
But this is a Non-Issue. Your employer will literally NEVER know you are carrying because you will Never be strip searched. If an emergency arises and you need to defend yourself with your pistol- well I'm sure the store manager will make the call whether to fire you or not.. Really depends on how big of a hero you were with your pistol.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87's absolutely correct. The only thing I might add is that if I ever encountered a situation where I needed to draw and fire, whether or not it might cost me my job would be the last thing on my mind.

Anubis

imported post

I agree with cscitney87 and since9. The relevant CRSs prohibit concealed carry in a very few places; open carry can be prohibited on local government property only by posting a specific area "no open carry" (except Denver of course).

So it's legal to carry on an employer's property located anywhere else. Carrying certainly can be prohibited by any employer, but one doesn't risk legal sanctions for doing so. You must answer the question "Is my employer's policy and my continued employment worth more than my life?" for yourself.