Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any restrictions for Carrying Open or Concealed on a Boat in Virginia Waterways?

Post imported post

I have a VA CCW permit, and I typically conceal carry everywhere and OC on occasion..

Anyways, I am boating more and more and would like to keep a gun handy on board. I am wondering what the possible issues would be if stopped by law enforcement be it VA PD or Coast Guard. I don't drink on the boat and would probably either keep it holstered or in the dash compartment locked.

Any insight on this? Seems to be a gray area....???

Many thanks!

Post imported post

First and foremost, make sure you are really in Virginia. The Potomac River is in Maryland.

Second, there has been a significant development on this issue. The General Assembly just today adopted the Governor's recommendation to change HB 885 to now require storage in a secured container, instead of a locked container.

This doesn't take effect until July 1st though, but a significant new law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB885

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    First and foremost, make sure you are really in Virginia. The Potomac River is in Maryland.

Second, there has been a significant development on this issue. The General Assembly just today adopted the Governor's recommendation to change HB 885 to now require storage in a secured container, instead of a locked container.

TFred
    Yeah I don't get that far north in my boating ventures.... but that is good to keep in mind for sure.

My CCW is valid on the waterways I would assume because I am still in VA> >>>> RIght?

Post imported post

cttbax wrote:
    Yeah I don't get that far north in my boating ventures.... but that is good to keep in mind for sure.

My CCW is valid on the waterways I would assume because I am still in VA> >>>> RIght?
    IANAL, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I suspect there is very little case law on how LEOs may handle citizens' weapons during "boating stops".

TFred

Post imported post

I was stopped last year, the first day I took my boat out. I had a temp license on the boat (paper) and didn't have my letters on the side. The VA PD stopped me at the beach at first landing park and he was really chill about everything. I didn't have my gun, but I gave my temp license and my VA ID, the officer was professional and answered a few of my first time boater questions, and was pretty chill over all. He didn't mention CCW or guns and neither did I.

But, your right... I bet there is very little on the subject.... Well I am going to carry, hopefully no one deems that illegal and puts me in the pokey...lol

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

cttbax wrote:
    I have a VA CCW permit
    no such thing.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Sorry VA CHP. Better?

Post imported post

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

and. I should have looked at yer post count before saying anything.

1. Welcome to the boards.

2. sorry for bein a dick.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    and. I should have looked at yer post count before saying anything.

1. Welcome to the boards.

2. sorry for bein a dick.
    no man, you were not being a dick.... I appreciate the correction. Not a big deal. I have lurked here for years, just never registered.

Post imported post

You know we really could and perhaps should consider these all these unique abbreviations to be examples of these:

http://www.searstower.org/rkrause/brands.html

Hm?

TFred

Post imported post

Common use precludes the requirement of brand name itemology. There was a court case brought by xerox that got thrown out (copyright infringement) because xerox had been used so long as a synonym for copy that they couldn't claim ownership and copy right when the term xerox became common usage. I am searching for the cite and it isn't related to gun law but I think the same applies to terms like google or saran wrap, instead of search on the internet or plastic wrap, they are both in common use now.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    The Potomac River is also in Washington, D.C.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    You know we really could and perhaps should consider these all these unique abbreviations to be examples of these:

Hm?

TFred
    I disagree. We are a well informed, knowledgeable, poli... well.. you get the picture. We are all educators and we should not call magazines CLIPS and CHP's CCWs, etc as some things come down to the letter of the law or might discredit. Especially to somone new that is trying to gather information. I would submit to you that the information should be exact as possible and not "sort-of" right.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    TFred wrote:

Hm?

TFred
    I disagree. We are a well informed, knowledgeable, poli... well.. you get the picture. We are all educators and we should not call magazines CLIPS and CHP's CCWs, etc as some things come down to the letter of the law or might discredit. Especially to somone new that is trying to gather information. I would submit to you that the information should be exact as possible and not "sort-of" right.
    I generally agree with you. My point is that there could very well be an argument that there does exist a generic term for any license to carry a gun in a concealed manner, no matter what a particular state's "brand" of that license may be properly called.

I.E. "Virgina's CCW is called a CHP..."

As time has told over and over again, when it comes to language, common usage outweighs information, knowledge and politeness...

TFred

Post imported post

To get back on subject

I have been approached by VA Marine Police while CC on a boat. He wanted to do a safety check and I knew while bending over to get items out of compartments firearm would be seen.

Showed him my CHP before I started bending over, and he was cool about it. No problem.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.
    What was in your glass bottles? If you had waited until the GW was gone, wouldn't the fishing license still have belonged to the student?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

cttbax wrote:
    Welcome aboard, cttbax!

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    cttbax wrote:
    Welcome aboard, cttbax!

Thanks Dr. Mark, good to see a familiar....screen name over here!

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    I can't find a source (just looked for a couple minutes) but I've always heard that political boundaries are the south shore of a body of water. I do know for sure that the state line is the low water mark of the south shore of the Potomac.

Is there any source for the definition of wet county borders within Virginia?

TFred

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

nuc65 wrote:
    Common use precludes the requirement of brand name itemology. There was a court case brought by xerox that got thrown out (copyright infringement) because xerox had been used so long as a synonym for copy that they couldn't claim ownership and copy right when the term xerox became common usage. I am searching for the cite and it isn't related to gun law but I think the same applies to terms like google or saran wrap, instead of search on the internet or plastic wrap, they are both in common use now.
    You are referring to "genericide" or "genericization."It applies to trademarks, not copyrights, and it occurs when the markcomes to refer to a general class of products. Murphy bed, thermos, aspirin and escalatorare marks that lost protection due to genericide.

I am not positive, but I believe that Xerox and Saran Wrap are still enforceable marks. Google is definitely still enforceable. I have heard that Velcro enforces their mark vigorously -- write it with a lower case 'v' and you will get a nasty letter from their attorneys (I am exaggerating -- slightly!).

Sorry for the OT post.

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    What was in your glass bottles? If you had waited until the GW was gone, wouldn't the fishing license still have belonged to the student?
    Nothing illegal, however they will confiscate glass containers because idiots throw them in the river. We secure them after useso they will not wind up in the river.

Didn't want to wait a half hour and returning the license kept him from getting a ticket. No sense in waiting until the warden was done and gone and the student having to go to court to show the Judgehe had temporarily lost his license. The warden could only keep it long enough to verify it was his and return it when he finished his stop.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    I can't find a source (just looked for a couple minutes) but I've always heard that political boundaries are the south shore of a body of water. I do know for sure that the state line is the low water mark of the south shore of the Potomac.

Is there any source for the definition of wet county borders within Virginia?

TFred
    As far as the south shore of the Potomac being the border, I believe it is part of the original land charter for Maryland. Read something about it once, but cannot remember the source. It may have been here on this forum. As far as Virginia counties, most maps I have seen for Virginia show a line down the river channel and some of the same maps show the Virginia shore on the Potomacas the boundary for MD.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    Nothing illegal, however they will confiscate glass containers because idiots throw them in the river. We secure them after useso they will not wind up in the river.

Didn't want to wait a half hour and returning the license kept him from getting a ticket. No sense in waiting until the warden was done and gone and the student having to go to court to show the Judgehe had temporarily lost his license. The warden could only keep it long enough to verify it was his and return it when he finished his stop.
    Good job.:celebrate

I had interpreted your original post as you innocentlyretreiving a fishing license that someone else had ditched because they didn't want the GW to see it
    :shock:

I didn't know about the glass bottles, though. Don't people do the same with plastic?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast