• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any restrictions for Carrying Open or Concealed on a Boat in Virginia Waterways?

cttbax

imported post

I have a VA CCW permit, and I typically conceal carry everywhere and OC on occasion..

Anyways, I am boating more and more and would like to keep a gun handy on board. I am wondering what the possible issues would be if stopped by law enforcement be it VA PD or Coast Guard. I don't drink on the boat and would probably either keep it holstered or in the dash compartment locked.

Any insight on this? Seems to be a gray area....???

Many thanks!

TFred

imported post

First and foremost, make sure you are really in Virginia. The Potomac River is in Maryland.

Second, there has been a significant development on this issue. The General Assembly just today adopted the Governor's recommendation to change HB 885 to now require storage in a secured container, instead of a locked container.

This doesn't take effect until July 1st though, but a significant new law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB885

TFred

cttbax

imported post

TFred wrote:
First and foremost, make sure you are really in Virginia. The Potomac River is in Maryland.

Second, there has been a significant development on this issue. The General Assembly just today adopted the Governor's recommendation to change HB 885 to now require storage in a secured container, instead of a locked container.

TFred
Yeah I don't get that far north in my boating ventures.... but that is good to keep in mind for sure.

My CCW is valid on the waterways I would assume because I am still in VA> >>>> RIght?

TFred

imported post

cttbax wrote:
Yeah I don't get that far north in my boating ventures.... but that is good to keep in mind for sure.

My CCW is valid on the waterways I would assume because I am still in VA> >>>> RIght?
IANAL, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I suspect there is very little case law on how LEOs may handle citizens' weapons during "boating stops".

TFred

cttbax

imported post

I was stopped last year, the first day I took my boat out. I had a temp license on the boat (paper) and didn't have my letters on the side. The VA PD stopped me at the beach at first landing park and he was really chill about everything. I didn't have my gun, but I gave my temp license and my VA ID, the officer was professional and answered a few of my first time boater questions, and was pretty chill over all. He didn't mention CCW or guns and neither did I.

But, your right... I bet there is very little on the subject.... Well I am going to carry, hopefully no one deems that illegal and puts me in the pokey...lol

cttbax

imported post

ed wrote:
and. I should have looked at yer post count before saying anything.

1. Welcome to the boards.

2. sorry for bein a dick.
no man, you were not being a dick.... I appreciate the correction. Not a big deal. I have lurked here for years, just never registered.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Common use precludes the requirement of brand name itemology. There was a court case brought by xerox that got thrown out (copyright infringement) because xerox had been used so long as a synonym for copy that they couldn't claim ownership and copy right when the term xerox became common usage. I am searching for the cite and it isn't related to gun law but I think the same applies to terms like google or saran wrap, instead of search on the internet or plastic wrap, they are both in common use now.

NovaCop

imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
The Potomac River is also in Washington, D.C.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
You know we really could and perhaps should consider these all these unique abbreviations to be examples of these:

http://www.searstower.org/rkrause/brands.html

Hm?

TFred
I disagree. We are a well informed, knowledgeable, poli... well.. you get the picture. We are all educators and we should not call magazines CLIPS and CHP's CCWs, etc as some things come down to the letter of the law or might discredit. Especially to somone new that is trying to gather information. I would submit to you that the information should be exact as possible and not "sort-of" right.

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
TFred wrote:
You know we really could and perhaps should consider these all these unique abbreviations to be examples of these:

http://www.searstower.org/rkrause/brands.html

Hm?

TFred
I disagree. We are a well informed, knowledgeable, poli... well.. you get the picture. We are all educators and we should not call magazines CLIPS and CHP's CCWs, etc as some things come down to the letter of the law or might discredit. Especially to somone new that is trying to gather information. I would submit to you that the information should be exact as possible and not "sort-of" right.
I generally agree with you. My point is that there could very well be an argument that there does exist a generic term for any license to carry a gun in a concealed manner, no matter what a particular state's "brand" of that license may be properly called.

I.E. "Virgina's CCW is called a CHP..."

As time has told over and over again, when it comes to language, common usage outweighs information, knowledge and politeness... ;)

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

To get back on subject

I have been approached by VA Marine Police while CC on a boat. He wanted to do a safety check and I knew while bending over to get items out of compartments firearm would be seen.

Showed him my CHP before I started bending over, and he was cool about it. No problem.

:cool:

mobeewan

imported post

I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.

2a4all

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.
What was in your glass bottles? If you had waited until the GW was gone, wouldn't the fishing license still have belonged to the student?