• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any restrictions for Carrying Open or Concealed on a Boat in Virginia Waterways?

TFred

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.
I can't find a source (just looked for a couple minutes) but I've always heard that political boundaries are the south shore of a body of water. I do know for sure that the state line is the low water mark of the south shore of the Potomac.

Is there any source for the definition of wet county borders within Virginia?

TFred

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
Common use precludes the requirement of brand name itemology. There was a court case brought by xerox that got thrown out (copyright infringement) because xerox had been used so long as a synonym for copy that they couldn't claim ownership and copy right when the term xerox became common usage. I am searching for the cite and it isn't related to gun law but I think the same applies to terms like google or saran wrap, instead of search on the internet or plastic wrap, they are both in common use now.

You are referring to "genericide" or "genericization."It applies to trademarks, not copyrights, and it occurs when the markcomes to refer to a general class of products. Murphy bed, thermos, aspirin and escalatorare marks that lost protection due to genericide.

I am not positive, but I believe that Xerox and Saran Wrap are still enforceable marks. Google is definitely still enforceable. I have heard that Velcro enforces their mark vigorously -- write it with a lower case 'v' and you will get a nasty letter from their attorneys (I am exaggerating -- slightly!).

Sorry for the OT post.

mobeewan

imported post

2a4all wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
I have a CHP and CC all the time while canoeing on the Rappahannock river. Will be up there again fora couple weekends next month. Although the river is patrolled by game wardens checking forfising licenses and illegal catch and game, the center of the river is the boarder between counties. Since I don't have a rod in my canoe I have never been stopped. Once we had a group of our canoes floating together and I heard the motor from the wardens Zodiac and warned everyone to put away their glass bottles,then we spread apart. The group of college kids floating nearby got stopped. I found a fishing license floating on the water after we spread apart. I called out the name on the license and one of the college students said it was his. When I paddled over the game warden asked me to hand it to him.
What was in your glass bottles? If you had waited until the GW was gone, wouldn't the fishing license still have belonged to the student?

Nothing illegal, however they will confiscate glass containers because idiots throw them in the river. We secure them after useso they will not wind up in the river.

Didn't want to wait a half hour and returning the license kept him from getting a ticket. No sense in waiting until the warden was done and gone and the student having to go to court to show the Judgehe had temporarily lost his license. The warden could only keep it long enough to verify it was his and return it when he finished his stop.

mobeewan

imported post

TFred wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
I can't find a source (just looked for a couple minutes) but I've always heard that political boundaries are the south shore of a body of water. I do know for sure that the state line is the low water mark of the south shore of the Potomac.

Is there any source for the definition of wet county borders within Virginia?

TFred
As far as the south shore of the Potomac being the border, I believe it is part of the original land charter for Maryland. Read something about it once, but cannot remember the source. It may have been here on this forum. As far as Virginia counties, most maps I have seen for Virginia show a line down the river channel and some of the same maps show the Virginia shore on the Potomacas the boundary for MD.

2a4all

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
2a4all wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
What was in your glass bottles? If you had waited until the GW was gone, wouldn't the fishing license still have belonged to the student?

Nothing illegal, however they will confiscate glass containers because idiots throw them in the river. We secure them after useso they will not wind up in the river.

Didn't want to wait a half hour and returning the license kept him from getting a ticket. No sense in waiting until the warden was done and gone and the student having to go to court to show the Judgehe had temporarily lost his license. The warden could only keep it long enough to verify it was his and return it when he finished his stop.
Good job.:celebrate

I had interpreted your original post as you innocentlyretreiving a fishing license that someone else had ditched because they didn't want the GW to see it
:shock:

I didn't know about the glass bottles, though. Don't people do the same with plastic?

richarcm

imported post

I guess on a boat the rules change a little bit. You never want to have your gun pointed down. Like towards the boat. Cuz if it were to fire....you'd shoot the boat. And like sink. Or shoot Flipper.