• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB 1935 Protest Ideas

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Well, it seems like a good thing to continue to write our legislators. However, since Saldana has introduced the bill, I think we should consider switching to a more protest style of meet ups. (These styles of meets would not be at private businesses, but more public venues.)

Among the strategies, what do you think about:

• Targeting key legislator's offices.
  • Carrying signs with 4 or 5 key messages.
  • Composing "Talking Points" for any that might be interviewed.
  • Gettingstrategy committees put together in different regions of California.
Any ideas?

[Subject should have read "AB1934..." Moderator, is this something that you can correct? Thanks.]

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Im not completely convinced that doing a 'protest' is the best way to deal with AB1934. However, in skimming Drudge I found this; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1267696/National-weed-day-2010-US-4-20-pot-protesters-light-April-20th.html

The story depicts venues with 12K-15K lighting up their marijuanaopenly, while law enforcement stand by.

A billboard with the following would expose the hypocrisy and highlight an interesting irony to our plight- pot smokers are on their way to enjoying more freedom than gun carriers...

YOU won't allow this...

uoc_guy_e8ri.jpg

But THIS is okay?

article-0-093888B9000005DC-114_634x447.jpg

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

C3, we're usually on the same page, but for once I find myself feeling the need to say...

I don't like the derogatory implication of the comparison. It seems to me to imply that pot smoking is "bad" in some way. (E.g. "but THIS is OK?") I think we can compare the two politically and socially charged subject without dragging the other down.

I would equally disapprove of a marijuana decriminalization campaign switching the pictures to say, "why is harmless 'ol pot illegal but these gun nuts can go around flaunting their gun 'rights' in our faces?"

The simple fact is that both issues have the same root cause: government butting into to people's private lives and making crimes where there is no victim. Gun control and marijuana prohibition have a lot in common. Make criminals of otherwise peaceful people, infringe on basic human rights, and both have racist histories.

I sincerely hope CA will be the first state to decriminalize both guns and pot.

demnogis

imported post

It's not the pot smoking. It's the hippies.

HIIIIIPPIIEEEEESSSS :cuss:

CA_Libertarian wrote:
C3, we're usually on the same page, but for once I find myself feeling the need to say...

I don't like the derogatory implication of the comparison. It seems to me to imply that pot smoking is "bad" in some way. (E.g. "but THIS is OK?") I think we can compare the two politically and socially charged subject without dragging the other down.

I would equally disapprove of a marijuana decriminalization campaign switching the pictures to say, "why is harmless 'ol pot illegal but these gun nuts can go around flaunting their gun 'rights' in our faces?"

The simple fact is that both issues have the same root cause: government butting into to people's private lives and making crimes where there is no victim. Gun control and marijuana prohibition have a lot in common. Make criminals of otherwise peaceful people, infringe on basic human rights, and both have racist histories.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Perhaps youre right Ca_Lib. Personally, I dont care whether anyone smokes pot, so long as it doesnt interfere with others. There is no moral or legal equivalancy between the two- as open carry is still legal and possession and use of marijuana is not.

But, the powers that be are treating gunowners as if they are not legal and pot smokers as if they are. If they are willing to look the other way with something that is illegal, I dont understand why they are rushing to slam the door on something that has been legal in California since before it was a state.

wewd

imported post

Prior to 1913, it was perfectly legal to smoke cannabis in California, but the powers that be decided to ban it because they didn't like the fact that ethnic minorities were doing it and making profitable businesses of it. They weren't harming anyone, but that didn't matter. Something that had been legal since before California was a state was now against the law.

Prior to 1968, it was perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in California, but the powers that be decided to ban it because they didn't like the fact that ethnic minorities were carrying firearms for protection against violence from agents of the state. They weren't harming anyone; in fact they were keeping people from being harmed, but that didn't matter. Something that had been legal since before California was a state was now against the law.

Just because something has been the subject of government control for a longer period of time does not make that control morally correct. The only thing the government knows how to do is to use force and coercion against peaceful people. They have done it time and again and will continue to do it, until the people come to realize how their liberties have been taken away one by one and start to do something about it.

poothrowingape

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

I agree. Legallize both. I've never smoked marijuana and probably never will even if its legal. When my friends do it they turn slugish and smell bad but it doesnt mean its not their choice to do it. We should havethe samechoice to defend our lives as they do to baketheir brains lol.

besides legallizing both will help boost the economy in gun sales, ammo sales, pot taxes, and people going on munchie runs at 02:30 in the morning(hopefully not OCing lol)

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I posted this earlier http://www.opencarryradio.com/?p=661

Here I'm suggesting this type of protest IF the bill becomes law.

Snip

I do believe that this is a part of a larger agenda to make people victims and more reliant on the “State” and its “Services”. To prove this I’m going to take inspiration from Lori herself and wear a Bullet Proof Vest everyday if AB 1934 passes and becomes law. Donning a vest intended to prevent punctures to my body is the ultimate in passive self-protection, it posses no threat to others around me, it can’t be loaded, it can’t be made into a weapon, it’s safe. And apparently Lori doesn’t see a problem with wearing one… but she will.

I declare here on this 22nd day of April 2010 that in an open carry/concealed carry banned California, legislators (maybe even Lori herself) will attempt to ban the Bullet Proof Vest Movement in California. Thousands of Californians will wear bullet proof vest to work, while shopping, at the grocery store, while picking up the kids from school, at the bank, at Starbucks, etc. After a year of activity by this movement and its members, lawmakers will site public unrest and police safety as the key reasons for banning the open display of bullet proof vests.

They’ll be quoted in newspaper and on TV. “I just don’t feel safe when I see someone walking around with a bullet proof vest on, this isn’t the wild west” one women says. Police Chief Snuffy says, ”Look, when my officers come onto a scene and they see a guy wearing a SWAT Team quality vest. They don’t know what he’s up to and Officer Safety is paramount” adding, “Furtive movements by a vest wearer could end in tragedy”.

Please join me in getting this non-aggressive, peaceful activity outlawed!