• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

Airilith

imported post

I tried posting in the VA forum, and haven't gotten a response :( I guess no one lives on the Eastern Shore. Haha!

But it all boiled down to the fact that I have yet to OC for the first time, and I would like it to be a positive experiece. And yet be prepared for a negative one. Are there any links to how to handle OC confrontations, or tip and suggestions for first timers?

I've also heard that some of you carry OC information with you. What exactly do the cards/paper say? And is there a link to such info?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!

Airi

PS - For anyone that's interested I was a member of the VT Clay Target team, have had and practiced with my pistol for 5+ years, am a 24 year old woman, and I have a S&W 637.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

If you are in Virginia, you really shouldn't have many problems. :)

It always feels like you are the only one OC'ing, but try just going into gas stations at first. You're in and out in a minute and it gives you the confidence to continue doing bigger and better things.

Can't believe you didn't have any responses from the Virginia sub-forums. Maybe their wives just didn't want them hanging out with unknown 24-year old women! Lol. :p

nobama

imported post

The best advice I can give is when you OC, do NOT whatsoever be touching your gun or looking at it or anything like that. Make it a natural act, just like a cell phone. After all a gun is nothing more than a tool and should be recognized by the sheep that is all it is. Hope this helps.

Airilith

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
If you are in Virginia, you really shouldn't have many problems. :)

It always feels like you are the only one OC'ing, but try just going into gas stations at first. You're in and out in a minute and it gives you the confidence to continue doing bigger and better things.

Can't believe you didn't have any responses from the Virginia sub-forums. Maybe their wives just didn't want them hanging out with unknown 24-year old women! Lol. :p

Good point Jonathon! Perhaps I should go back and post that I'm willing to bring the BF with me. Haha!

And thanks for the suggestion Wethepeople. It should be treated like just an extension of my body. I think I'm going to start OC'ing on the farm. It'll give me some time to get used to having my pistol at my side, while having no chance of confrontation until I'm a bit more confident.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Just kidding, they probably simplydidn't see your post. :)

It's just that there are fewer female OC'ers. Welcome to the movement.

We really need more female OC'ers to show that this is a human right and not just a guy's club.

The farm, and/or any private property on which you have permission to OC, is a great way to get started and familiarize yourself with the feeling.

open4years

imported post

I was nervous when I first OCed but I now OC everytime I leave the house. If you can act as if you don't have a visible gun on you, that wiil help. When someone looks at you, don't automatically think you're gun is the reason why. React how you would if you didn't have a gun on you. A smile goes a long way towards relaxing people - and yourself.

Many won't even notice the gun. I once stood in Walmart for 20 minutes talking to a woman I met. Her friend walks up and asks if I'm a LEO. The woman THEN noticed the gun!

I've OCed since 1995 and I've discovered two major things that really help. If you can carry a black gun (polymer, Glock looking) in a black holster and black belt, it does two things for you. First, less people will notice that you're carrying. Second, a very large portion, of those who do notice, will assume your law enforcement. Especially if what you
carry looks similar to what LEO's in your area carry. But, most have no clue as to what type of gun and holster LEO's carry, only that it is black.

The second thing is looking confident and dressing appropriately. Even jeans, T-shirt and sneakers work if the T-shirt doesn't have text or photos that are offensive. Your shoes should look decent. The main
thing is looking and acting as if you belong and that the gun belongs on you. The more you OC, the easier that will become.

These are suggestions for not attracting attention. You have the legal
right to carry what you wish and dressing how you wish. But, if you don't want to attract attention and don't want to be over nervous, the above works.

I routinely carry to Walmart, drug stores, banks, grocery stores, book stores, Home Depot and any place my permit allows me to carry. Good luck - let me/us know how it goes. Good luck.