Thread: NCTimes LTE - Saldana bill is another step to taking away our defenses

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

If you have the ability to compose short focussed letters to the editor, now would be the time.

--

http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/...90ed73c54.html

SNIP

Another step to taking away our defenses

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana submitted a bill that would delete the provision to allow open carry of guns in California. All in the fear that law-abiding citizens "might" be shot or were not properly trained to carry a gun, even though California requires a gun safety class before purchasing a gun.

Are we really concerned that those who open-carry a gun are a real threat? It seems to be we would be more concerned with those who are carrying the guns illegally, the ones we can't see. Has anyone ever heard of an issue with someone open-carrying a gun? I think the bad guys would be concerned, since they know that they would be less likely to commit a crime when someone is around who has a gun in the fear that they could be shot.

So once again, we take another right penalizing those who can carry legally and take the defense away from us.

. . .

Post imported post

I think its interesting to point out that open carry of an unloaded firearm as never been illegal in California... That open carry of a loaded firearm has only been regulated for the past 40 years... and its only now, that its suddenly a threat to public safety.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    I think its interesting to point out that open carry of an unloaded firearm as never been illegal in California... That open carry of a loaded firearm has only been regulated for the past 40 years... and its only now, that its suddenly a threat to public safety.
    That's a good point.

Post imported post

I'm wondering if we should ask/tell the politicians to wait on passing this bill till after the McDonald v. Chicago decision is handed down. It could be held in committe till after the decision. It will obviously be ruled unconstitutional if McDonald prevails.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    I'm wondering if we should ask/tell the politicians to wait on passing this bill till after the McDonald v. Chicago decision is handed down. It could be held in committe till after the decision. It will obviously be ruled unconstitutional if McDonald prevails.
    Not a bad idea if your representative is in favor of this bill. Approach it from a cost savings basis since the State is already bankrupt, there's no need to waste money on lawsuits this legislationwill surely bring ofwhich the State will surely lose.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    Gundude wrote:
    Not a bad idea if your representative is in favor of this bill. Approach it from a cost savings basis since the State is already bankrupt, there's no need to waste money on lawsuits this legislationwill surely bring ofwhich the State will surely lose.
    The appropiations committe chairman's email is... senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov

I just sent an email asking them to wait.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.