• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NCTimes LTE - Saldana bill is another step to taking away our defenses

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you have the ability to compose short focussed letters to the editor, now would be the time.

--

http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/letters/article_f79277d5-5a17-5f86-afbd-70490ed73c54.html

SNIP

Another step to taking away our defenses

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana submitted a bill that would delete the provision to allow open carry of guns in California. All in the fear that law-abiding citizens "might" be shot or were not properly trained to carry a gun, even though California requires a gun safety class before purchasing a gun.

Are we really concerned that those who open-carry a gun are a real threat? It seems to be we would be more concerned with those who are carrying the guns illegally, the ones we can't see. Has anyone ever heard of an issue with someone open-carrying a gun? I think the bad guys would be concerned, since they know that they would be less likely to commit a crime when someone is around who has a gun in the fear that they could be shot.

So once again, we take another right penalizing those who can carry legally and take the defense away from us.

. . .

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I think its interesting to point out that open carry of an unloaded firearm as never been illegal in California... That open carry of a loaded firearm has only been regulated for the past 40 years... and its only now, that its suddenly a threat to public safety.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I think its interesting to point out that open carry of an unloaded firearm as never been illegal in California... That open carry of a loaded firearm has only been regulated for the past 40 years... and its only now, that its suddenly a threat to public safety.
That's a good point.

Gundude

imported post

I'm wondering if we should ask/tell the politicians to wait on passing this bill till after the McDonald v. Chicago decision is handed down. It could be held in committe till after the decision. It will obviously be ruled unconstitutional if McDonald prevails.

coolusername2007

imported post

Gundude wrote:
I'm wondering if we should ask/tell the politicians to wait on passing this bill till after the McDonald v. Chicago decision is handed down. It could be held in committe till after the decision. It will obviously be ruled unconstitutional if McDonald prevails.
Not a bad idea if your representative is in favor of this bill. Approach it from a cost savings basis since the State is already bankrupt, there's no need to waste money on lawsuits this legislationwill surely bring ofwhich the State will surely lose.

Gundude

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
Not a bad idea if your representative is in favor of this bill. Approach it from a cost savings basis since the State is already bankrupt, there's no need to waste money on lawsuits this legislationwill surely bring ofwhich the State will surely lose.

The appropiations committe chairman's email is... senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov

I just sent an email asking them to wait.