• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

REGULATIONS

whitetailfiery

imported post

How do I distinguish between local laws. I live in a township (Seymour) within Eau Claire city/county?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

whitetailfiery wrote:
How do I distinguish between local laws. I live in a township (Seymour) within Eau Claire city/county?
State laws are called statutes and they may enable regulations (rules not passed by the legislature). State statutes do enable county ordinances that may be echoed or expanded by local ordinances.

IOW, there are several layers of laws, federal, state, county, local.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

whitetailfiery wrote:
WELCOME!

From the information provided, there would be four different sets of laws/rules that affect you. Your local (town) ordinances, then County Ordinances, State Statutes, Federal law.

That is why the legislature enacted 66.0409 back in 1995. It nullifies all local (County/Town) ordinances pertaining to firearms ownership and possession unless they mirror state law.

whitetailfiery

imported post

So is it ok to shop in a walmart, gas station, restuarant, ect... OC and I assume the establishment has the right to ask my to leave right?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

whitetailfiery wrote:
So is it ok to shop in a walmart, gas station, restuarant, ect... OC and I assume the establishment has the right to ask my to leave right?
That is 100% correct (but not legal advice).

The five prohibited places are (Car, Bar, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones) other than that you can open carry a loaded firearm most any place else.

If they ask you to leave, leave otherwise you could face a trespassing charge.

(Cars, State Parks, and School Zones) == the firearm MUST be unloaded and in a case.

Bar == Any place that serve alcohol for consumption "on the premises."

Bars and Government Buildings are strictly prohibited without prior permission.

Culvers, Burger King, WalMart, AutoZone, Home Depot, ShopKo, Menards, Mc Donalds, Best Buy, Woodmans, Radio Shack, Gander Mntn, Kwik Trip, Scheels, etc. You can carry in all these types of places without violating the law.

School Zones are precarious, so ensure the building has "off street" parking and that you can get to/from the building without setting foot on public property if the place you wish to visit is near a school.

hunter9mm

imported post

Let's talk about "BARS" for a minute.

Only for the sake of clarity, unless I misunderstand it, "Bars" are more than "Joe's Corner Tap"

Restaurants, weather it be Outbacks, Friday's, or Mom & Pop's fried chicken shack,or any other eatery that also serves alcoholic beverages should be treated just like a BAR.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, just don't want the "New Guy" to misunderstand where he shouldn't OC.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

10 - 4.

Any place, Outback, Red Lobster, Banquette Hall, etc. that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises is prohibited UNLESS you get prior permission from the owner/manager.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

whitetailfiery wrote:

If you live in the township of Seymour, you are outside Eau Claire City limits. Both Eau Claire City and County have unenforceablie ordinances on the books. That is one issue that will be brought up at the OC Picnic.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
10 - 4.

Any place, Outback, Red Lobster, Banquette Hall, etc. that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises is prohibited UNLESS you get prior permission from the owner/manager.

To put an even finer point, any establishment that has a 'class b' license.