• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

biggest firearm lawforcement would ever use?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There's a difference between having access to better firepower, and using it on a regular basis, whether you need it or not.

Things like the Hollywood Shootout are uncommon enough that they don't provide a strong argument for deciding the default behavior of LEOs.

Kirbinator

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
and, do YOU ALL STILL THINK AMERIKA is a FREE country ? Free to be Harassed by Jack Booted Thug cops in Tacticool Black armed with Full Auto ?? Ever ask yourselves what on earth do the cops need Full Auto for, when 99.999% of Citizens don't have full Auto capability ? Welcome to the Militarized Amerikan Police state.
Even the military doesn't have full-auto in many cases.

Though truthfully, a home invasion / no-knock service is an extremely good reason to have a selective fire rifle capable of firing three rounds in one burst. Or you can train with a double-tap and assure lethality.

Viorel

imported post

There's a difference between having access to better firepower, and using it on a regular basis, whether you need it or not.

Then justify the necessity for it.

Things like the Hollywood Shootout are uncommon enough that they don't provide a strong argument for deciding the default behavior of LEOs
What does that have to do with...anything?

Viorel

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
and, do YOU ALL STILL THINK AMERIKA is a FREE country ? Free to be Harassed by Jack Booted Thug cops in Tacticool Black armed with Full Auto ?? Ever ask yourselves what on earth do the cops need Full Auto for, when 99.999% of Citizens don't have full Auto capability ? Welcome to the Militarized Amerikan Police state.
Even the military doesn't have full-auto in many cases.

Though truthfully, a home invasion / no-knock service is an extremely good reason to have a selective fire rifle capable of firing three rounds in one burst. Or you can train with a double-tap and assure lethality.
Normal CQB tactics don't involve auto or even burst. That's Hollywood for you. You either use the point method, or well aimed (individual) shots (the latter being pretty much the standard).

Anything beyond the above is used for either extraction or falling back (defensive posture).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Viorel wrote:

Things like the Hollywood Shootout are uncommon enough that they don't provide a strong argument for deciding the default behavior of LEOs
I'm really that obtuse?

I find that hard to believe.

And why should I justify the necessity for police having powerful weapons? I'm happy to simply not bother justifying, leaving them with .38 revolvers. You want them to be so well-armed, you justify it.

You're the one who brought up the Hollywood Shootout. I'll ask you the same question: what does that have to do with... anything?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
This might be true if there were a good reason for the no-knock raid.

Generally, there isn't any reason, much less a good one.

Viorel

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Viorel wrote:

I'm really that obtuse?

I find that hard to believe.

And why should I justify the necessity for police having powerful weapons? I'm happy to simply not bother justifying, leaving them with .38 revolvers. You want them to be so well-armed, you justify it.

You're the one who brought up the Hollywood Shootout. I'll ask you the same question: what does that have to do with... anything?
Nah, I didn't mean to suggest that you're obtuse. Actually, I was anticipating more than a simple statement to continue the dialog. I mean, you're the one who contested my statement, so all I was suggesting is for you to answer nothing more than a simple why. I didn't think it was an unreasonable request since most discussions are an exchange of points.

Still, I'll gladly take the burden of dialog off of you and expand my point further...

1997 provided a wake-up call to the law enforcement community because TWO people had outmatched the standard TOE of a typical department. Combating armored individuals utilizing high-velocity weapons in a wide open area with pistols and shotguns isn't impossible but the gunmen kept the LEOs well suppressed. Besides that, the risk to first responders (many who were already injured) as well as the general public was to great with the equipment that they had at the time.

To counter the threat, they determined that they at least had to obtain high-velocity weapons themselves...and did.

Unfortunately too many policies/laws are written in blood...and this was one of them. Because of the lack of ability to "think out of the box", they grew complacent and found themselves unprepared for an encounter that caused injuries to 10 officers and 7 citizens...a circumstance that temporarily removed their ability to preserve the safety of their community--the responsibility they are tasked to uphold by the very people who pay their wages.

How does that relate to you? First, I'm responding with the assumption that you are asking in the capacity of a US citizen.

You are not tasked with anything besides your obligation to the country. I'll note the Oath of Allegiance required by immigrants to become US citizens...

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
You are not obligated to carry a firearm, you have the right to...a world of difference. Since your everyday citizen isn't obligated, they have no legal responsibility whatsoever to engage in law enforcement practices similar to that of a traditional LEO.

As I said in a different topic, in the forming of this country I firmly believe that the 2A was a well thought out necessity...not just to preserve the safety of each citizen, but to preserve the way of life the founding fathers intended.

With that said, with your legal right to protect your person as well as property, I find it very hard for a citizen to justify the necessity of a larger weapon similar to those carried by a LEO.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against the thought of folks having an M4 or MP5 in their home or vehicle. Hell, I would be one of the first to have an HK stowed away, but what I am stating is with defending you and yours, how can you justify being that powered & against whom?

Honestly, with cities becoming more and more dense, it only makes sense to limit personal protective weaponry usage to low-velocity types. That's not removal of rights, that's ensuring public safety.

Besides, the use of the more powerful weapons (as illustrated in the image) are still limited to high-profile cases, but now more available to officers to fix the hard lessons learned in '97.

The standard LEO agencies still hoof around with low-velocity weapons day in & out while conducting everyday business. So what you want (matching those used), you actually are. They're just more equipped to handle situations they (not you) are responsible for.

As far as the latter comment, I brought up the N Hollywood shootout as an example. What that has to do with LEO behavior, as you suggested, escapes me.

eye95

imported post

Welcome to the site Viorel. You've been here a short time and contributed some really well-reasoned posts. Thanks.

On the issue of the typical weapon that a civilian might expect to carry as protected by the RKBA: Since the founders framed that right in terms of the militia, it makes sense that the arms of which they spoke would be the typical arms that an individual would bring with him when called to train with or serve in the militia.

Today's analog would be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun of sufficient power and capability to be used for daily needs, such as hunting and self-defense as well as suitable for military use in a pinch.

I don't agree that the density of the population should be a concern when considering what the right is. Of course, we all should be educated about the capabilities and trained in the use of our weapons and ammo so that we might be able to use them safely in densely populated areas.

Viorel

imported post

Thanks Eye, I'm happy to be here.

On the issue of the typical weapon that a civilian might expect to carry as protected by the RKBA: Since the founders framed that right in terms of the militia, it makes sense that the arms of which they spoke would be the typical arms that an individual would bring with him when called to train with or serve in the militia.

Today's analog would be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun of sufficient power and capability to be used for daily needs, such as hunting and self-defense as well as suitable for military use in a pinch.
I completely agree with the reasoning, rather the spirit of intent.

The thing is, what is available for non-military/LEO does accomplish this. I don't see a civilian having justification to obtain a "military-grade" weapon just to hunt or for self defense.

In the defense of the nation, as in an invasion or worse, all of this would become completely irrelevant anyway. Any weapon found would become a means of defense and survival.

I don't agree that the density of the population should be a concern when considering what the right is. Of course, we all should be educated about the capabilities and trained in the use of our weapons and ammo so that we might be able to use them safely in densely populated areas.
Not everyone carrying a weapon is a crack shot. A quick story (if you haven't heard it already)..

During Desert Storm there was a vehicle (5-ton) carrying servicemembers that came under attack (close ambush) with small arms fire. All engaged and did a dismount. In the immediate chaos you could imagine how much lead was flying. At any rate, as quick as it happened, the Iraqis surrendered.

No one was hit.

Basically my point is all has to be considered, even before (if) you engage with firearms, because the chances are, if it happens it'll be sudden...and it's pretty much a guarantee that there will be strays.

Still, I think you brought up an excellent point with ammo.

Viorel

imported post

I wasn't debating ownership in regards to velocity.

What I was saying though is that justification for their use as a personal protection instrument in a highly populated area could very well be a public safety concern.

Viorel

imported post

So I understand your answer...

If you live in apartment A and someone in apartment D is defending themselves with a weapon that, because of it's power, rips through the walls and enters your daughter's brain-housing group (yet if they used a lower caliber weapon it wouldn't have reached that far), it's cool because Shall not be infringed?

Hunterdave

imported post

If you have a love for the Constitution, as I do,and
believe in the rights it guarantees it will protect, as
I do, how can you then endorse its infringement?
"shall not be infringed" "shall not be infringed"
period ! period !
End of discussion in that regard.

If you do not agree that the rights, protected by
Our Constitution, were endowed to us by our creator
and worthy of protecting with "blood and treasure"
that is a different discussion for a different thread.

Restricting which calibers one can own IS infringement.
Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't.

All of this has gotten off topic from Op,but it
seems they almost always do.

So, to the original topic.I don't know what the
largest armament a particular police force has,
but if ordinary citizens are restricted (which they
shouldn't be) the police should be restricted equally.
Allowing them to have more than the average citizen
constitutes a para-military organization , which can
and has been used in an authoritarian manner to
abuse the rights of Americans citizens .

See how easy it is to get off topic!

totes6

imported post

Viorel wrote:
SNIP
As far as citizens having the same weaponry available to their government...let's think about that. You are a citizen, not a service member nor a member of the militia. Therefore your absolute right is to protect you and yours...meaning you don't have nor are you given the responsibility equaling that of government officials.

A rather big difference.

SNIP

You might want to take a look at the Militia act of 1792. Right in the first section it states:
I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia

Don't know about you, but I am a male citizen of the United States that falls into that range. So yes I am IN the Militia. Am I on active duty, nope. But I can be called upon to take up arms if the need arises. And if I am called up, I can't say I don't believe in firearms and have never fired one. The government will tell me too bad, here is your government issued firearm now go stand in line. Personally I have no plans to trust my life and liberty to some firearm that was just issued to me and I have no idea how reliable it is. I much prefer my own firearms that I know personally and can account for all the maintenance.
Now what happens when I am gone from home to defend my country. I am sure not going to leave my family undefended. I am going to make darn sure that my wife, kids, parents, brothers, sisters have the biggest gun(s) that they can shoot accurately and repeatedly. I will not force them to pick up firearms if they choose not to, that is a personal decision. But they WILL have that choice.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

Hunterdave wrote:
If you have a love for the Constitution, as I do,and
believe in the rights it guarantees it will protect, as
I do, how can you then endorse its infringement?
"shall not be infringed" "shall not be infringed"
period ! period !
End of discussion in that regard.

If you do not agree that the rights, protected by
Our Constitution, were endowed to us by our creator
and worthy of protecting with "blood and treasure"
that is a different discussion for a different thread.

Restricting which calibers one can own IS infringement.
Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't.

All of this has gotten off topic from Op,but it
seems they almost always do.

See how easy it is to get off topic!
Excellent post! I agree 100%.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hunterdave wrote:
Yup, I'm inclined to agree. I don't know exactly which weapons police need, but I do know that if they need a certain weapon that weapon had damn well better be available to myself.

Viorel

imported post

If you have a love for the Constitution, as I do,and believe in the rights it guarantees it will protect, as I do, how can you then endorse its infringement? "shall not be infringed" "shall not be infringed" period ! period ! End of discussion in that regard.
I 100% agree, but...

Restricting which calibers one can own IS infringement. Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't.
I never said restricting. I said (I even put it in bold)...use.

You might want to take a look at the Militia act of 1792. Right in the first section it states: I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia

[snip]
Fantastic post, thank you.

Ok, how does this discussion relate to the topic? I'm actually playing devil's advocate here to highlight a few points I think are important.

2A ensures your right...it shall not be infringed. I think we all can agree on this one. My point is where is it implied that 2A offers us the right to own any and all types of firearms manufactured.

M2, M249, M60, M240? From a citizen's standpoint, where is the line drawn (rather, is there a line?) where the intent of a weapon is obviously for law enforcement/millitary?

Hunterdave

imported post

The discussion, of where the line is drawn on which
weapons the Framers intended us as citizens to
have, has elicited wide and varied opinions on this
forum.

The Framers ,visionaries as they were, could not have
envisioned the high explosives and atomic weapons
of today.If an ordinary citizen possessed these,
an accidental detonation would be catastrophic.
It would be an unreasonable danger to the public
and I think we could reject these out of hand.
Auto MG, artillery pieces, hand grenades, mortars, etc.
should be legal for a law abiding citizen to own.
They create no unreasonable public danger, as
the Nat. Gun Crime stats. would bare out ,as the
same people that OC, CC , hunt, competitive
shooters etc. would be the same people that would
own these type of arms.

I also think there is plenty evidence that at the
time of the founding and even up until the early
20th century , the private citizen had access to
the same weaponry as the military.My family as
private citizens came to Louisiana with brass
canons and french mortars, which my family
possessed until 1920's - 1930's . Private
merchant ships had canons, private freight co.
that carried valuables had gatlin guns and
many many more examples.

buster81

imported post

Viorel wrote:
I wasn't debating ownership in regards to velocity.

What I was saying though is that justification for their use as a personal protection instrument in a highly populated area could very well be a public safety concern.

Got it. So, each person is allowed to determine their own parameters for weapon choice. Sounds good to me.