• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New RIA 1911

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Just picked up this beauty recently. It took me over a year to find the right 1911. At less than $500, with a trigger pull that's 100 times better than a Taurus, I couldn't be more satisfied. Hundreds of rounds so far without any failures. I'll be cycling JHPs soon to see what I'll be able to get away with. If anyone wants to get their first, or 5th, or 100th 1911, but doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars, find a Rock Island Armory and never look back.

l_3555f5edcd4a4b04bb5010cbb2b007c0.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I too have a RIA 1911 that I am quite fond of. I have found it to be very reliable despite the low price.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Just picked up this beauty recently.  It took me over a year to find the right 1911.  At less than $500, with a trigger pull that's 100 times better than a Taurus, I couldn't be more satisfied.  Hundreds of rounds so far without any failures.  I'll be cycling JHPs soon to see what I'll be able to get away with.  If anyone wants to get their first, or 5th, or 100th 1911, but doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars, find a Rock Island Armory and never look back.

l_3555f5edcd4a4b04bb5010cbb2b007c0.jpg
Did mention I want one of those not-bi-tone-but-accented nickel Rocks?

OMG so ******* sexy.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
Ive never seen a RIA that wasnt black with tan wooden grips before...  What model is that?
It's a Tactical in Nickel.

Edit: When did they start using arched mainspring housings? I prefer flat.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yours is like the inverse of mine:

(The stainless parts didn't come out so well in the light I had... oh well.)

Except I'm also using a park'ed grip safety. I actually own a stainless Ed Brown grip safety which I prefer the ergonomics of, but it doesn't stop the rearward travel of the trigger and thus, in my gun, would have to be matched to a trigger with a stop screw (which I don't wish to use). I've also never even considered a stainless mag release; maybe I should?

I wonder, if I had both of them, would that make for a good dual-OC setup? :) Would it be better if I put white bone grips on the park'ed one?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

This is my RIA, there are many like it, but this one is MINE!!! How you see it, is how I carry it, loaded, cocked and locked. :)

ria45-3.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

The grips and main spring housing are aftermarket. A flat main spring housing digs into my palm, since my hand is wider than the grip is long. At least the stock one did.

Like someone else said, this is simply their tactical model in nickel.

Marshaul, I'm very seriously considering a second 1911 with inverse finishing as a partner to this one. Not sure it she'll be full sized or compact, though.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Marshaul, I'm very seriously considering a second 1911 with inverse finishing as a partner to this one. Not sure it she'll be full sized or compact, though.
This has become a very excellent idea over the last couple days. I believe I have selected my next handgun purchase! :)

RIA sure does get lucky with the repeat buyers.

jahwarrior

imported post

my next 1911 is going to be a RIA; i know a bunch of guys who own them, and i've been able to shoot a few of them. it's crazy how nice they are, and how great they shoot, for so little money. now that they have a SS model, i'm sold on them. just to let you know, everyone i know that carries one says they cycle JHPs just fine.

marrero jeff

imported post

technically used, both were safe queens. less than 100 rounds through each gun. and yes i got the series 70, no chance to shoot it yet though

i'll add one of the dan wesson once i get it.

groovedrummer

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
technically used, both were safe queens. less than 100 rounds through each gun. and yes i got the series 70, no chance to shoot it yet though

pics?

buster81

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
That sounds like a good deal. I really enjoy my CBOB.