• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New RIA 1911

sevenplusone

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
one who hates his ex wife (she gave him the pistols) and wants to clear out his gun safe. i'm more than happy to oblige him :)
Most, even used, CBobs are worth $1k in the current market.....I understand wanting to get rid of something, but it would still disappear for anywhere near $1k before he could blink. Oh well. Some people just don't know what they have.

Enjoy.

Bagman

imported post

If you enjoy your RIA half as much as I do mine, you'll be a very happy man. I see maybe a CS in your future??

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Bagman wrote:
If you enjoy your RIA half as much as I do mine, you'll be a very happy man. I see maybe a CS in your future??

Stop it! Lol. My walther PPS .40 currently fills the role of compact carry...but I have been glancing at the compact 1911s a bit more as of late.

My g/f wants her first carry piece, but keeps changing her mind... PPS, or a compact 1911, or maybe a M&Pc... lol

groovedrummer

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
i certainly hope i do. its a great looking gun, i love the more modern 1911s. the best part is im not even 21 yet :) god i love louisiana.
Well, that Colt is the opposite of what 1911 guys refer to as a "more modern" style 1911.

but I love the original style and shape.

and for the sake of originality, Colt is absolute top dog.

Remember, if its not a Colt, its just a copy.

:)

now don't do anything stupid, like cutting into that Colt to "customize" it.

In the world of old Colt 1911s, "customize" is just a fancy word for RUIN.

IMHO

(im sure im gonna b*tched at for saying that) hahahaha

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm inclined to agree.... and this is also why any old Colts I'd own would be strictly safe queens.

The beavertail is the single noteworthy improvement on JMB's design, and I really won't do without.

groovedrummer

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I'm inclined to agree.... and this is also why any old Colts I'd own would be strictly safe queens.

The beavertail is the single noteworthy improvement on JMB's design, and I really won't do without.

meh, I dont mind putting wear on my Colt, an old Colt with some wear is a classic with stories to tell.

I just dont like when someone wanting there first 1911 stumbles into a good deal for an old colt...but they want a wilson combat (because thats what they have been told is cool) they go right to the gun smith and have em bolt every part they can afford on it and have the smith lower and flair the ejection port....

its like modernizing a classic car...just go buy a modern car and let the classic stay classic.

as for the weenie-tail grip safety...im not a fan...theres no need for it.

*whispers* pssst, I have a nasty scar on the web of my right hand...I like the classic style and thats what ill have tell I die, but damn it hurts sometimes, so I understand why you prefer the beaver tail.

don't tell the other 1911 purists I said that.

hhahahaahahahah

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not worried about wear, either. The GI grip safety is what would keep it in the safe.

One of my 1911s still has the GI grip safety, and I never shoot it anymore. I simply use too high a grip, and I guess my hands are too fat or whatever. It's really not a choice; I'll have blood dripping down my hand after the first shot if I shoot a standard 1911 with the grip I've become comfortable with.

At first, the mark/scar didn't bother me. The problem was when I went back to the GI after becoming wholly accustomed to a higher grip after buying a beavertailed model, I found myself literally dripping blood. Not cool at a range with lead everywhere.