Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Zones and Travel

Post imported post

Hypothetically speaking, if I should have a 1911 on my hip in my car, while on the freeway and my route takes me within 1000 feet of a school, am I in violation of the 1000 foot limitation?

Post imported post

I would believe so . thats why its best to lock the gun in the case and stick it in your trunk until you arrive at the destination in which you allready know is free of school zones and state parks ect...

Edit: spelling

Post imported post

Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of.

That pretty much kills OC for me then, as the school sits on the primary route of travel for pretty much anywhere for me. So unless I'm just "chilli'n" at home, meh.

Post imported post

I made an exploded version of my city's mapprinited on my office wall at home, on that map i have listed every k-12 school and made a circle of 1000 ft border. before i go anywhere (planned on OCing of course) i plan my route ahead of time so i will in no way break the "school zone law" when driving and or riding my motorcycle. call me anal/crazy but i dont want to be charged with a felony. some cities (san fransisco) as stated before looks like a mine field when you have listed all those schools.

Post imported post

Apollo18 wrote:
    Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of.

That pretty much kills OC for me then, as the school sits on the primary route of travel for pretty much anywhere for me. So unless I'm just "chilli'n" at home, meh.
    I have read before that you can be within 600ft of a school unknowingly passing by and not be charged with a felony but thats walking on very thin ice if you ask me. also you have stated that you drive it al lthe time, so fighting that one in court would be difficult.

Post imported post

That would be a tough sell given it goes freeway, park, road school. If you glance outthe passenger sidewindow as you drive by you can see the school...plus I have kids who go there, so I really wouldn't have any excuse. Its close to the 1000 feet limit (so close that I think if I'm traveling home (other side of the median) I'd be ok.

And while its frustrating andstupid, but its the law and the worst thing someone can do for themselves and the movement would be to be willfully stupid.

I suppose I could drop it into the center console with its lock (our car has been broken into several times so its a feature we had installed) and call it good. But thats a hassle to do while driving.

I know this law has been unsuccessfully challenged in the courts (one guy was convicted for being on his own property because his property was within 1000 feet of a school), but has there been a bill/law/amendment introduced to repeal this flawed law?

Post imported post

The law reads that you must have REASONABLE KNOWLEDGE of a K-12 school GFSZ.

Driving by a schoolalong a freeway(or any road), in a town you are not from, while carrying unloaded,does not violate the law.

Post imported post

Army wrote:
    The law reads that you must have REASONABLE KNOWLEDGE of a K-12 school GFSZ.

Driving by a schoolalong a freeway(or any road), in a town you are not from, while carrying unloaded,does not violate the law.
    in theroy...

as we all learned from theseus' case, the legal process in CA is a magical thing.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Post imported post

There is no exemption for driving on the freeway.There is probablya FAA law about flying under 1000 ft. except while taking off and landing, so if you flew within 1000 ft. of a school, you would be in violation of two laws. A typical "feel good law".
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

Holy friggin ****, I cannot believe that we are still having this farking discussion.

We REALLY need to have stickies, seriously.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009...carry-faq.html

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Apollo18 wrote:
    Hypothetically speaking, if I should have a 1911 on my hip in my car, while on the freeway and my route takes me within 1000 feet of a school, am I in violation of the 1000 foot limitation?

Yes, but only for those brief moments in time that you actually passed in and out of the GFS zone. This could be something as short as a split secondor it could be as long as 30 seconds or more traveling at 70 mph*.

For a hypothetical scenario, say you're driving down the freeway going from one city to another.The questions are: 1.Will you get pulled overwhile in the zone? 2.Was a GFSZin the immediate vicinity you drove through? 3. Could they prove you actually were UOC'ing while in the zone? 4. Would they be able to determine whether or not you had enough time tounlock the firearm and set it out in the open and/or holster it? And probably a lot more questions along these lines.

While its true the PC states you reasonably had to know the school zone was there, in reality the judge can just omit that option from your defense argument as in Theseus' case.

So, its up to you, but if you choose to UOC while driving be careful, it could potentially be acostly decision.

*Note: the example was based on a 1000 ft GFSZ followed by a 1000 ft school property line, followed by another 1000 ft GFSZ. Traveling at 70 mph = 102.67 fps. 3000 ft / 102.67 fps = 29.22 seconds.

"Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

What if I'm OCing in my front yard and a school bus goes by??
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
    deleted.

Post imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
    Do you having a problem with this link?
    http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009...carry-faq.html

Post imported post

Theseus' case is also a private property boundry issue, not just the GFSZ. Doesn't apply here to driving in an unknown area.

Same as when I drive to San Diego or LA while UOC'ing. No reasonable way to know how many schools I went through.

Post imported post

WC, I was joking.
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
    WC, I was joking.
    don't pay attention to WC. I think he might be a bullet-proof jacket selling communist.

Post imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
    Rich Keagy wrote:
    WC, I was joking.
    don't pay attention to WC. I think he might be a bullet-proof jacket selling communist. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/42719.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEeTAwxGjoand please add to your channel.

DISCLAIMER
    The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods or experts in a given field likePincheOgro1andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

Post imported post

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Post imported post

Wc wrote:
    dirtykoala wrote:
    Rich Keagy wrote:
    WC, I was joking.
    don't pay attention to WC. I think he might be a bullet-proof jacket selling communist. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/42719.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEeTAwxGjoand please add to your channel.

DISCLAIMER
    The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods or experts in a given field likePincheOgro1andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!
    WC,

I have NEVER claimed to be a deity. I appreciate the inference though. It makes my HUGE head swell even more knowing that someone thinks I am a GOD. LOLOLOL. The only thing I have criticized you on, MY FRIEND, is MY inability to understand your posts. I don't know if you are taking English as a 2nd, or if it's your version of SHORTHAND that I don't understand. either way I and I am sure the others mean you no harm.

Post imported post

Army wrote:
    Theseus' case is also a private property boundry issue, not just the GFSZ. Doesn't apply here to driving in an unknown area.

Same as when I drive to San Diego or LA while UOC'ing. No reasonable way to know how many schools I went through.
    You know, ARMY, I brought this up in another thread. I even said I had been checking two web pages to verify that I would not be near any schools. Apparently the pages were not complete or up to date, but I did make an attempt to locate and avoid. This was my premise. If I showed a judge that I had attempted to locate and avoid schools, maybe the court would show a little leniency, and I could avoid a stiffer charge. Although I don't think a first conviction would lead to a felony charge, if I'm reading the PC correctly.

redundency is like practice. You do it till ya get it right.

Post imported post

[quote]messy messy

Post imported post

way to funny. Yeah we can all guess what he WASN'T doing, and I'm kinda repulsed by the thought of what he MAY have been doing.

Post imported post

WC loves his disclaimer. it can be found in a few places. no matter where you find it though, he still sounds like a second grader.

DISCLAIMER
    The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
    jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1or experts in a given field like yelohamris doing an experience on us andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

WC, you never got back to my question:

Hey buddy, when did i identify myself "as an dictatorships"?, and your first two posts were the same thing (spam) and pretty sales-like, you seemed like you were here advertising flexyourrights.org...
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=36147&forum_id=12&jump_t o=655563#p655563

spam: "Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message..."

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

posting the same message on 2 topics is pretty spam-like. so, you are a spammer, and i dont recall saying anything about you being anti leo, you werehowever salesmenish.

how are pinche or yelo "doing an experience" on you? sounds like some alien encounter stuff that you shouldnt be telling people about...

you joined this website on valentines day and spammed afew threads... i bet i know what you werent doing.

I ARE DICTATORSHIPS! GARRRRRRR!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/40568-1.html

[color=#003070]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/39697-2.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/42817-1.html

Post imported post

What parts of you don’t understand DISCLAIMER? (NoticedD's posted the old one) And why you had never understood from yelohamr wrote: "I would have mentioned the thing about your dictatorship, but didn't want it to go to your head." before came here?

dirtykoala wrote:"WC, you never got back to my question:"

I didn't have to, because you already wrote: "I ARE DICTATORSHIPS! GARRRRRRR!" And that's your second grade of history.
    Therefore, you're full of liars and disrespecting of our individual rights.

DISCLAIMER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast