• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zones and Travel

Apollo18

imported post

Hypothetically speaking, if I should have a 1911 on my hip in my car, while on the freeway and my route takes me within 1000 feet of a school, am I in violation of the 1000 foot limitation?

GlockFanatic943

imported post

I would believe so :banghead:. thats why its best to lock the gun in the case and stick it in your trunk until you arrive at the destination in which you allready know is free of school zones and state parks ect...

Edit: spelling

Apollo18

imported post

Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of.

That pretty much kills OC for me then, as the school sits on the primary route of travel for pretty much anywhere for me. So unless I'm just "chilli'n" at home, meh.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

I made an exploded version of my city's mapprinited on my office wall at home, on that map i have listed every k-12 school and made a circle of 1000 ft border. before i go anywhere (planned on OCing of course) i plan my route ahead of time so i will in no way break the "school zone law" when driving and or riding my motorcycle. call me anal/crazy but i dont want to be charged with a felony. some cities (san fransisco) as stated before looks like a mine field when you have listed all those schools. :uhoh:

GlockFanatic943

imported post

Apollo18 wrote:
Thanks. Thats what I was afraid of.

That pretty much kills OC for me then, as the school sits on the primary route of travel for pretty much anywhere for me. So unless I'm just "chilli'n" at home, meh.
I have read before that you can be within 600ft of a school unknowingly passing by and not be charged with a felony but thats walking on very thin ice if you ask me. also you have stated that you drive it al lthe time, so fighting that one in court would be difficult.

Apollo18

imported post

That would be a tough sell given it goes freeway, park, road school. If you glance outthe passenger sidewindow as you drive by you can see the school...plus I have kids who go there, so I really wouldn't have any excuse. Its close to the 1000 feet limit (so close that I think if I'm traveling home (other side of the median) I'd be ok.

And while its frustrating andstupid, but its the law and the worst thing someone can do for themselves and the movement would be to be willfully stupid.

I suppose I could drop it into the center console with its lock (our car has been broken into several times so its a feature we had installed) and call it good. But thats a hassle to do while driving.

I know this law has been unsuccessfully challenged in the courts (one guy was convicted for being on his own property because his property was within 1000 feet of a school), but has there been a bill/law/amendment introduced to repeal this flawed law?

Army

imported post

The law reads that you must have REASONABLE KNOWLEDGE of a K-12 school GFSZ.

Driving by a schoolalong a freeway(or any road), in a town you are not from, while carrying unloaded,does not violate the law.

dirtykoala

imported post

Army wrote:
The law reads that you must have REASONABLE KNOWLEDGE of a K-12 school GFSZ.

Driving by a schoolalong a freeway(or any road), in a town you are not from, while carrying unloaded,does not violate the law.

in theroy...

as we all learned from theseus' case, the legal process in CA is a magical thing.

Gundude

imported post

There is no exemption for driving on the freeway.There is probablya FAA law about flying under 1000 ft. except while taking off and landing, so if you flew within 1000 ft. of a school, you would be in violation of two laws. A typical "feel good law".

coolusername2007

imported post

Apollo18 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, if I should have a 1911 on my hip in my car, while on the freeway and my route takes me within 1000 feet of a school, am I in violation of the 1000 foot limitation?

Yes, but only for those brief moments in time that you actually passed in and out of the GFS zone. This could be something as short as a split secondor it could be as long as 30 seconds or more traveling at 70 mph*.

For a hypothetical scenario, say you're driving down the freeway going from one city to another.The questions are: 1.Will you get pulled overwhile in the zone? 2.Was a GFSZin the immediate vicinity you drove through? 3. Could they prove you actually were UOC'ing while in the zone? 4. Would they be able to determine whether or not you had enough time tounlock the firearm and set it out in the open and/or holster it? And probably a lot more questions along these lines.

While its true the PC states you reasonably had to know the school zone was there, in reality the judge can just omit that option from your defense argument as in Theseus' case.

So, its up to you, but if you choose to UOC while driving be careful, it could potentially be acostly decision.

*Note: the example was based on a 1000 ft GFSZ followed by a 1000 ft school property line, followed by another 1000 ft GFSZ. Traveling at 70 mph = 102.67 fps. 3000 ft / 102.67 fps = 29.22 seconds.

Army

imported post

Theseus' case is also a private property boundry issue, not just the GFSZ. Doesn't apply here to driving in an unknown area.

Same as when I drive to San Diego or LA while UOC'ing. No reasonable way to know how many schools I went through.

Wc

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Rich Keagy wrote:
WC, I was joking.

don't pay attention to WC. I think he might be a bullet-proof jacket selling communist. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/42719.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEeTAwxGjoand please add to your channel.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods or experts in a given field likePincheOgro1andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

PincheOgro1

imported post

Wc wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
Rich Keagy wrote:
WC, I was joking.

don't pay attention to WC. I think he might be a bullet-proof jacket selling communist. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/42719.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEeTAwxGjoand please add to your channel.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods or experts in a given field likePincheOgro1andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

WC,

I have NEVER claimed to be a deity. I appreciate the inference though. It makes my HUGE head swell even more knowing that someone thinks I am a GOD. LOLOLOL. The only thing I have criticized you on, MY FRIEND, is MY inability to understand your posts. I don't know if you are taking English as a 2nd, or if it's your version of SHORTHAND that I don't understand. either way I and I am sure the others mean you no harm.