• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Specific law

Lawman635

imported post

Hi, sorry this will probably be a stupid question for some but I have looked for an hour now and still cannot find the specific law that states you can carry one in the chamber, open carrying, with a concealed weapons permit.Any help would be much appreciated.

"The difference between an American and the rest of the world, is we would rather die on our feet, than live on our knee's"!

UtahRSO

imported post

I'm sure you've found Utah Code 76-10-505, where it says a person can't carry a loaded gun. Of course that prohibits a cartridge in the firing position (in the chamber), and where one action (like pulling the trigger) would make the gun fire.

But then look at 76-10-523 (2), where it says that a person with a Concealed Firearms Permit is exempt from 76-10-505.

Note also that the exemption is also for 76-10-504 (1) and (2), which means that the firearm can be concealed if you have the permit. But the law doesn't say it HAS TO BE concealed, just that concealed is an option with the permit.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Lawman635 wrote:
I have looked for an hour now and still cannot find the specific law that states you can carry one in the chamber, open carrying, with a concealed weapons permit.Any help would be much appreciated.
You can't find it, because it's not there. :p Laws are generally restrictive, not permissive.

Like Utah RSO stated, 76-10-505 makes it a crime to carry loaded on a public street.

76-10-523 exempts permit holders from 76-10-505.

swillden

imported post

How about this:

76-1-105. Common law crimes abolished.
Common law crimes are abolished and no conduct is a crime unless made so by this code, other applicable statute or ordinance.

And this:

76-2-101. Requirements of criminal conduct and criminal responsibility.
(1) (a) A person is not guilty of an offense unless the person's conduct is prohibited by law; and
(b) (i) the person acts intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, with criminal negligence, or with a mental state otherwise specified in the statute defining the offense, as the definition of the offense requires; or
(ii) the person's acts constitute an offense involving strict liability.
(2) These standards of criminal responsibility do not apply to the violations set forth in Title 41, Chapter 6a, Traffic Code, unless specifically provided by law.

Lawman635

imported post

Yeah i saw 76-10-505, but not the other one. Thank you for all your help.

"The difference between an American and the rest of the world, is that we would rather die on our feet, than live on our knee's"!