Thread: Going into states that do not accept gfl?

Post imported post

I drive a truck and carry my gun what do i do when i go into a red state?

Post imported post

If you are carry a gun in any state in a commercial vehicle, you are breaking the law already.

Post imported post

No , i looked at the federal law and asked a d.o.t officer she said if you are permited to carry one in the states that expect gfl you may carry one. i just forgot to ask what to do with it when i go to a state that dose not take gfl.

Post imported post

According to federal regs, you can transport through a red state if the gun is unloaded, encased and locked in the trunk or similar compartment.

Here is no law against carrying in a commercial vehicle, except rare instances while hauling certain hazmats.

Post imported post

Eventhough at least 1 state (Alabama) allows long haul truckers to carry while driving through, The dept of transportation (U.S.), when they took over the commerical drivers license, essentially making it a national license, made it illegal for anyone with a cdl to carry a firearm, licensed or not in a commerical vehicle & I doubt that the leftist we now have in DC would or have removed that provision even though they are supposed to be worried about hijacked trucks & want drivers to bolo terrorist

Post imported post

Separate the gun from ammo and lock it under your bunk. There is no regulation saying you can't carry in your vehicle but I can't name a single company that allows it.

For those saying it IS illegal can you cite any codes for that? I spend a large part of my day with cops from every local state and federal agency around Savannah and not a single one has said it is illegal unless hauling explosives or flammable hazmat loads.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    ram 150 wrote:
    Eventhough at least 1 state (Alabama) allows long haul truckers to carry while driving through, The dept of transportation (U.S.), when they took over the commerical drivers license, essentially making it a national license, made it illegal for anyone with a cdl to carry a firearm, licensed or not in a commerical vehicle & I doubt that the leftist we now have in DC would or have removed that provision even though they are supposed to be worried about hijacked trucks & want drivers to bolo terrorist
    And a citation from you too, please? Your information is false, as well.
    Here you go:
    Transporting accessible firearms IS prohibited if they are the product being transported: see http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...eyword=firearm
    However, this only covers firearms which are merchandise being transported, not personally owned firearms: see http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...dFirerarms.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.