• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going into states that do not accept gfl?

wildgiz

imported post

No , i looked at the federal law and asked a d.o.t officer she said if you are permited to carry one in the states that expect gfl you may carry one. i just forgot to ask what to do with it when i go to a state that dose not take gfl.

Adam5

imported post

According to federal regs, you can transport through a red state if the gun is unloaded, encased and locked in the trunk or similar compartment.

Here is no law against carrying in a commercial vehicle, except rare instances while hauling certain hazmats.

ram 150

imported post

Eventhough at least 1 state (Alabama) allows long haul truckers to carry while driving through, The dept of transportation (U.S.), when they took over the commerical drivers license, essentially making it a national license, made it illegal for anyone with a cdl to carry a firearm, licensed or not in a commerical vehicle & I doubt that the leftist we now have in DC would or have removed that provision even though they are supposed to be worried about hijacked trucks & want drivers to bolo terrorist

mathar1

imported post

Separate the gun from ammo and lock it under your bunk. There is no regulation saying you can't carry in your vehicle but I can't name a single company that allows it.

For those saying it IS illegal can you cite any codes for that? I spend a large part of my day with cops from every local state and federal agency around Savannah and not a single one has said it is illegal unless hauling explosives or flammable hazmat loads.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
ram 150 wrote:
Eventhough at least 1 state (Alabama) allows long haul truckers to carry while driving through, The dept of transportation (U.S.), when they took over the commerical drivers license, essentially making it a national license, made it illegal for anyone with a cdl to carry a firearm, licensed or not in a commerical vehicle & I doubt that the leftist we now have in DC would or have removed that provision even though they are supposed to be worried about hijacked trucks & want drivers to bolo terrorist
And a citation from you too, please? Your information is false, as well.
Here you go:
Transporting accessible firearms IS prohibited if they are the product being transported: see http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkKey=090163348004754f&keyword=firearm
However, this only covers firearms which are merchandise being transported, not personally owned firearms: see http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CommercialVehiclesAndFirerarms.pdf