• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona CCW, yes this a Va topic

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Does anyone know if Arizona just eliminated the statute or did they amend it?
I'm interested in a similar bill here. I'm tired of waiting.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

In the most technical sense, Arizona repealed the requirement of a permit to legally carry a concealed weapon by amending the misconduct involving weapons statute. I suggest reading the Senate Engrossed Version of AZ SB 1108.

SB 1108 replaced the permit requirement in ARS 13-3102(A)(1)-(2) with provisions retaining the prohibition on concealed carry by individuals under 21 years old; creating a new offense of carrying a concealed weapon in the furtherance of a seriosu offens,e violent crime, or felony; and creating a duty to accurately answer an LEO's inquiry regarding whether a person is legally carrying a concealed weapon. Each of these provisions carries different penalties. It also relaxed the training requirements to obtain a CWP and made some technical corrections to related statutes.

SB 1108 did not repeal the requirement of a permit to carry a concealed handgun in a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Since your OP concerned translating this into Virginia, "Alaska carry" legislation has been previously introduced in Virginia: 2006 HB 1105& 2007 HB 2405.

These bills duplicated Alaska's law, including a duty to inform & consent to disarm. I am sure that the tighter language Arizona adopted on these issues can be incorporated into future legislation, assuming one does not propose a simple repeal of Subsection A of Va. Code § 18.2-308.

Note that due to numerous other firearms related-statutes in Virginia incorporating by reference the exceptions contained in subsections B and C of Va. Code§ 18.2-308, a bill drafter would need to be careful in how he or she drafts the bill to avoid some very nasty, unintended consequences.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

WVCDL wrote:

Note that due to numerous other firearms related-statutes in Virginia incorporating by reference the exceptions contained in subsections B and C of Va. Code§ 18.2-308, a bill drafter would need to be careful in how he or she drafts the bill to avoid some very nasty, unintended consequences.
I have someone to do the legislative review for me. I just need to plug in the desired result and then review what she puts together.

I have two patrons as long as it's reasonable. I have a couple of months to work on this and right now I want to see how McDonnell handles the VDOF and other issues. At least I know what his plan is...I just don't believe it.

There's also Marsh. This bill would have a very small chance of getting through the first time to start with. If the Senate doesn't come up with a plan that they intend to enforce, to avoid the death committee, it has no chance of any consideration.

hometheaterman

imported post

Yes I thought seriously about making a thread about this. I think we need to try to get a similar bill passed here next year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Yes I thought seriously about making a thread about this. I think we need to try to get a similar bill passed here next year.
Before you really get gung ho on it, there are a couple of problems.
The biggest is there won't be a lot of support from the gun lobby and I imagine open hostility from the NRA.

Unless McDonnell muzzles them again, the state police will be singing blood in the streets and the MMM's will develop the vapors.

Most legislation is decided in private and there will be private opposition from some pro gun groups that would surprise you. There is money in CHP's.

hometheaterman

imported post

peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
Before you really get gung ho on it, there are a couple of problems.
The biggest is there won't be a lot of support from the gun lobby and I imagine open hostility from the NRA.

Unless McDonnell muzzles them again, the state police will be singing blood in the streets and the MMM's will develop the vapors.

Most legislation is decided in private and there will be private opposition from some pro gun groups that would surprise you. There is money in CHP's.
I thought about that some earlier today before I even saw this thread. I was thinking the major reason they aren't going to want to do away with CHP's is the income from them.

While I don't have a ton of faith that this would pass I still have hope that maybe it will. If not next year maybe in the next couple of years.

Was the NRA supportive of this in AZ? I didn't follow it very closely.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
No, they were not and from what I gather from people that followed it closely, there was almost open warfare with the NRA.

You can pretty well assure yourself it wouldn't pass the first or second time around. One thing is certain though, it never will pass if it's not introduced and every year that we give more to the CHP side of the legislation, the closer we get to doing away with open carry and the chance of unpermitted CC.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
How would Constitutional Carry in Virginia effect reciprocity in other states that honor Virginia CHP's?
That's one of the pitfalls WVCDL was talking about.
CHP's would still exist for those that wanted them.

1stfreedom

imported post

peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
No, they were not and from what I gather from people that followed it closely, there was almost open warfare with the NRA.

You can pretty well assure yourself it wouldn't pass the first or second time around. One thing is certain though, it never will pass if it's not introduced and every year that we give more to the CHP side of the legislation, the closer we get to doing away with open carry and the chance of unpermitted CC.

HB 1108was infact backed by the NRA. Just for accuracy.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=13681

Marco

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
How would Constitutional Carry in Virginia effect reciprocity in other states that honor Virginia CHP's?
That is how VT/AK do it, those who still want or need the Government permission slip can still get one.

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
That is how VT/AK do it, those who still want or need the Government permission slip can still get one.
I didn't know VT did that...for non-res permits from some states, they have a special section for VT residents, they basically have their local CLEO sign a statement saying the applicant is in good standing and not a criminal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

vamr wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Everything I read on this bill (now law) is that the NRA fought it tooth and nail.
After they fact, the NRA took as much credit as they could steal or claim. The above link is one such example.

Kudos to the AzCDL for all of their hard work - it paid off.
http://www.azcdl.org/

The new law does have several things worth pointing out. A permit is still available for those wishing to take advantage of reciprocity with other states. You cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol w/o a permit.

Otherwise unlicensed/non-permitted OC or CC is permitted by any qualified/legal citizen anywhere not restricted by law. Even the HuffPost concedes this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/17/arizona-gun-law-concealed_n_541445.html

Yata hey

Marco

1stfreedom

imported post

I checked your links. I found nothing stating that the NRA opposed this bill. Nor did I see anything stating that they headed it up or initiated it.

Thelink I postedwas mearly saying that they backed the bill not taking credit for it

acmariner99

imported post

Reciprocity agreements shouldn't change at all because Arizona and Alaska still have permit systems. The only thing that may change those agreements if the conditions of obtaining the CCW change. Based on what I personally know (not a lawyer) the requirements to obtain a CCW if you want one do not change with the new Carry Bill, it is no longer a requirement to obtain one in order to legally conceal in the State of Arizona.

Vanns40

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
vamr wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Everything I read on this bill (now law) is that the NRA fought it tooth and nail.
After they fact, the NRA took as much credit as they could steal or claim. The above link is one such example.

Kudos to the AzCDL for all of their hard work - it paid off.
http://www.azcdl.org/

The new law does have several things worth pointing out. A permit is still available for those wishing to take advantage of reciprocity with other states. You cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol w/o a permit.

Otherwise unlicensed/non-permitted OC or CC is permitted by any qualified/legal citizen anywhere not restricted by law. Even the HuffPost concedes this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/17/arizona-gun-law-concealed_n_541445.html

Yata hey
Let's also look at the fact that under the new AZ law, law enforcement can (and most assurdedly will) disarm you for the duration of their encounter with you. Knowing LEO's as I do (having been one), if they can, they will. Not so sure we really want that here.