• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My sweetie wants a handgun!!!!!

Dreamer

imported post

OMFG...

We were talking today on the phone, and she said she wants to buy a handgun.

Now this is my VW Jetta-driving, Obama-voting, "Co-exist bumpersticker-sporting" sweety.

I practically dropped the phone...

She said that I finally won her over, and her friend Jennifer (a VERY independent woman who lives in AL) has her convinced that she should get one and learn how to use it.

So we're going to go shopping Saturday--just looking for now (because she needs to get a PPP to actually buy one). We'll probably go to the range too, and I'll teach her how to shoot the Para and the Walther.

I'm thinking that a revolver is probably a good choice. I'm thinking a small .357 (but she'd load it with .38specials), because that would pack an effective punch without being too much to handle. (she has small hands, and weak wrists) and wheel guns are pretty low-maintenance and much less prone to jams or malfunctions. Looking at various Smiths and Taurus's...

Although we're going to look at some 9mm semiautos too. I may try and talk her into a Para Ordnance LDA-PDA in 9mm (or .45 acp if she can handle my big Para). You know me--Para all the way--and the PDA is a fine-looking handgun...

Wish me good luck, guys, for our "range day" on Saturday.

And I think some pats on the back are due for me--I've made a miraculous convert!

midnight61

imported post

Congratulations :celebrate

After 9 years, my gf (now proud to say wife) decided to try handgun shooting. I started her with the Sig 22lr Mosquito (so not to scare her away from the sport) and XD9 subcompact. It's now been a year and she has added a Kahr P380 for carry and shoots steel plates 2x month with her CZ 75 limited edition 9mm.
We are still on opposite sides of the political spectrum but we both enjoy the sport of shooting and continue to take advanced training together.
Good luck!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

An older Smith J-frame (without an internal lock), either an all steel or Airweight one would be good if you (she) chooses a revolver. Plenty of those around in the secondary market.

And if you come across one that is .38 spl only, that really wouldn't be too bad. Nobody really likes shooting/practicing with .357 mags out of such a small gun anyway. They quit pretty quickly.

Chances are she would shoot a .357 mag on a small frame gun only once.

Good work in convincing her that a gun was a good idea.

Porter N

imported post

I bought my first handgun freshman year in college, and took my then-girlfriend, now-wife out shooting with it. ever since then, she's been comfortable around guns, okay with me owning handguns. she likes shooting my 9mm and .40, but she prefers shooting shotguns. she can shoot skeet better than me :celebrate! She's still a bit intimidated by the idea of carrying, herself, but is more than happy that I carry. to the surprise of her family, I bought her a shotgun last Christmas. she loves it!

I'm not much of a revolver guy, but i think they're definitely a good choice for smaller hands. If you're looking at semi's, I had my wife handle a Springfield EMP 9mm in Cabela's and she LOVED it in her tiny hands. if she'd carry, i'd probably get her that one.

(edit: clarification in last paragraph)

carracer

imported post

My wife LOVES her Charter Arms Pink Lady! We practise with cowboy action loads and carry with full power .38's. I even had it laser engraved with the cancer ribbon for her!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you are looking at Taurus consider the Millennium Pro, they have it in multiple calibers. In addition they offer it with a pink frame which might appeal to your lady.

open4years

imported post

You didn't mention which Walther you have. A Walther PPS in 9mm or .40 might be a good choice. Both are the same size and are very thin. I don't know if she wants one gun to both carry and for home. A G27 is a possible choice.

It might seem odd, but I think a FN Five Seven would be a great house gun for a woman. Twenty rounds in the mag. should help if her aim isn't perfect. There are also 30 round mags. for it.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One thing I learned from getting my fiance and her mom into handguns - some women are convinced that they are too weak to rack a slide. While that may be true for some, I think it's some sort of latent learned response to any situation requiring manual strength. Case in point, I give my fiance a XD9, she tries to rack it, fumbles around, says it's too hard. Next day I hand her the XD9, tell that I've switched out the recoil spring and lubed the rails. She racks it like a champ. It's all mental.
The really frustrating thing it that she works with her hands more than me, has longer fingers, and takes great pleasure in trying to crush the digits of any man foolish enough to give here a limp fish when shaking hands.

45acpForMe

imported post

Hopefully she will listen to your advice and find something she likes.

When I was married my wife and I decided not to have a gun (believing all the anti propaganda). She was also very hot tempered so I thought having a gun around might not work out so well for me. :)

After our divorce I bought my first gun and started practicing. I didn't tell my X for a while because of custody issues etc. After about a year I told my kids and went over gun safety and she eventually found out. To my surprise she said that she was thinking about getting one too. I told her all I learned in the year or so of my research and she went to a couple gun shows to try several grips out. Her only mistake was not shooting any of her choices first. She bought a .40 Taurus Millenium Pro and when she shot it the first time, went back and got a 9mm 24/7. Shooting the gun instantly lets you know whether its a keeper or not.

So my advice is after she shoots what you have. (probably only a few her size) Take her to a range or two and let her rent some other guns to shoot.

Dreamer

imported post

I'm already scoping out local ranges that have good selections of rentals. We'll be doing that later this spring. And she may shoot some of her father's revolvers this weekend, since she's visiting her sister and father in Fayetteville before coming up here on Sat and Sun. I think he has a 22 revolver, and a .38 snubbie and a .357mag with a 4" bbl, as well as an older Colt 1911, and maybe some sort of .380auto.

Unfortunately, she missed the most recent Utah concealed carry course in MD (she's temporarily working in MD), and won't be back down here in NC for a month or so. I've convinced her she needs to get a NC CHP even if she doesn't carry all the time, just for "travel" reasons, but getting her down here when there is a local course scheduled is going to be tricky...

But I did pick up the form for her NC PPP today from the Sheriff. I figured I could have her fill it out this weekend, and then actually drop it off later in May, about a week before her next visit. She'll be back down here around Fathers Day weekend, and could pick up the PPP then, and maybe she can actually purchase something in May or June.

In the meantime, I may convince her that I REALLY need to get a S&W snubbie for myself, that she can borrow occasionally... ;)

Dreamer

imported post

I found a pretty good deal in a local shop on a Taurus 66 (.357mag) in polished stainless, with a 2" barrel, and the slim rounded wood grips. I haven't actually bought it yet, but I'm seriously considering it for the price (under $340). I'm thinking a little Flitz polish, and a new set of Pachmayr Decelerator grips might be just the ticket, especially if we shoot mostly .38 specials in it. It looks to be in good shape--clean sharp rifling, no fouling in the cylinder, smooth action. The grips are a little scratched, and there are a few minor scuffs on the frame, but nothing a little polish and a cotton buffing wheel in my Dremel won't take care of...

It's a K-frame, so it's a little larger than a "LadySmith" or an "Airweight", but I'm thinking the 6-shot capacity, all-steel construction, an slight estra weight might actually make it easier to shoot for my sweety. Better balanced and more mass than the smaller snubbies. And its still easily concealable, with the right rig and clothing...

So what do y'all think?

Even if she doesn't like it, I need a wheel gun for my collection, and this one would make a GREAT summer-carry option to my full-size double-stack 1911. And at this price, we could go get her something different, and still not put an inordinant dent in the wallet...

curtiswr

imported post

I think if you're willing to settle on more weight then get the Ruger SP-101. The Ruger with Hogue Monogrips rocks! But I'm biased. :D

IMG_0134s.jpg

The Wolfhound

imported post

The wife fell in love with the feel of a special edition Ruger P-944. NowI have yet another caliber to feed.This will be her 4th pistol selection. :lol:My life is good.

MamaLiberty

imported post

The Ruger SP101 was my first carry gun, and I still carry it occasionally. It is quite light compared to the XD .45 I routinely carry now.

And yes, I mostly shoot the .38 semi-wadcutters (a mean defensive round, actually), but mostly carry a .38+p JHP when I'm out and about with it.

It is a good gun for most women to start with. But learning to rack the slide of the semi-auto is a matter of technique mostly, and far less about strength. Let her decide.

And find a good instructor who offers a comprehensive course from basics to self defense, especially if she wants to carry her gun. Training and practice are more important than which gun she gets.