• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop and Identify

erps

imported post

On a side note. I had a question about the abbreviation "RAS". Do people in the know like police pronounce it "R, A, S" or as one word like RAZZ or RASS.
I wasn't familiar with the acronym RAS until I came to this website. The terms we used for the two levels of cause in Skagit County were reasonable suspicion and probable cause.

Nice work erps. What criminal justice website are you talking about? MRSC?
Here is a link with copies of the monthly Law Enforcement Digests that helps cops keep up on case law. Towards the bottom of the page is a PDF file on search and seizure law in Washington. It's a good reference.

https://fortress.wa.gov/led/ledpage.html

dixieborn

imported post

I was curious what the 'A' stands for anyway in RAS? It seems like it's being used in place of 'reasonable suspicion'... but where does the 'A' come from?

jeeper1

imported post

Only for civil infraction issuance, not for suspicion.
7.80.050 is required to identify himself or herself to the enforcement officer by giving his or her name, address, and date of birth. Upon the request of the officer, the person shall produce reasonable identification, including a driver's license or identicard.
-------------------------------------------------
Would a "reasonable identification" be a piece of paper with "name, address, and date of birth" hand written on it be acceptable?

Phssthpok

imported post

erps wrote:
On a side note. I had a question about the abbreviation "RAS". Do people in the know like police pronounce it "R, A, S" or as one word like RAZZ or RASS.
I wasn't familiar with the acronym RAS until I came to this website. The terms we used for the two levels of cause in Skagit County were reasonable suspicion and probable cause.

Here is a link with copies of the monthly Law Enforcement Digests that helps cops keep up on case law. Towards the bottom of the page is a PDF file on search and seizure law in Washington. It's a good reference.

Specifically see the August 2004 edition for 'Stop and Identify' education.

(link is to a word.doc download...apparently the PDF link isn't working too well right now.:?)

Lammo

imported post

erps wrote:

Anyone else have trouble with the link above? I got to the site through access.wa.gov and it looks correct but I experienced an error trying to go through the link. UPDATE (never mind, I see the correction)

Direct link for the Search and Seizure manual:

http://www.waprosecutors.org/MANUALS/search/May%202008%20--%20new%20--%20%20search%20SEIZURE%20AND%20CONFESSIONS.pdf

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammo wrote:
erps wrote:

Anyone else have trouble with the link above? I got to the site through access.wa.gov and it looks correct but I experienced an error trying to go through the link. UPDATE (never mind, I see the correction)

http://www.waprosecutors.org/MANUALS/search/May%202008%20--%20new%20--%20%20search%20SEIZURE%20AND%20CONFESSIONS.pdf

Oh this is good! Page 91....."officer, go jump in a lake!"
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[align=left]To FRISK
[/font][/font]– You may frisk outer clothing for weapons and may search if you reasonably believe you are in danger.Articulable factors justifying search for weapons.[/align]

[align=left]___high crime neighborhood ___CI information[/align]

[align=left]___guns common in neighborhood ___co-defendant information[/align]

[align=left]___feel of weapons ___personal knowledge of d having weapons[/align]

[align=left]___shape of weapon ___defendant’s movements[/align]

[align=left]___sight of weapon ___defendant’s statements[/align]

[align=left]
___sound of weapon ___sight of ammunition[/align]

[align=left]
___concerned citizen information ___other[/align]

[align=left]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]To QUESTION [/font][/font]– You may demand the suspect’s name and address and an explanation of the suspect’s actions. You may detain him for a reasonable period of time to verify his answer. If he says nothing or tells you to jump in a lake, that’s your tough luck; you cannot do anything to the suspect.[/align]

[align=left]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]BOTTOM LINE – You must be able to articulate reasons to distinguish the suspect from someone who just may happen to be there.

[/align]

[align=left][/font]
[/font]
[/font][/font][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/font][/font]
[/align]

geojohn

imported post

Lammo wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I like this typo on page 83, concerning the amount of physical intrusion allowable during Terry stops:

"Requiring the detainee to bear his firearms so that his tattoos
can be viewed. State v. Moore, 129 Wn. App. 870, 120
P.3d 635 (2005)."

:D

Lammo

imported post

geojohn wrote:
Lammo wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I like this typo on page 83, concerning the amount of physical intrusion allowable during Terry stops:

P.3d 635 (2005)."

I'll have to e-mail the author at WAPA and make sure that gets changed to "forearms". Thanks for the laugh! ;)

Lammo

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Lammo wrote:
geojohn wrote:
Lammo wrote:

Thanks for the link.

P.3d 635 (2005)."

I'll have to e-mail the author at WAPA and make sure that gets changed to "forearms". Thanks for the laugh! ;)
But, if you change firearms to forearms then you will also have to change bear to bare.
Laughing hard enough that I missed that one. Thanks LT!