• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry

Assod101

imported post

Ok I know i am going to look very ignorrant here but hell as long as it keeps me out of prison im happy :)

Now since ive been researching open carry i know there are states that require that the firearm be unloaded and any rounds must not be touching the firearm. And some states you can be in Condition 1. And i am 100% clueless on how you can be transporting a firearm in virginia. I normally just take it to the range and such in a case in the trunk. Im going to be getting into open carrying my pistol very soon and just want to know the laws before i go out with it holstered. So my questions are as follows. please help

1.) What condition can you carry your firearm in Virginia?

2.) when driveing from point A to point B where can your firearm be in the vehicle and does it need to be unloaded?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Assod101 wrote:
Ok I know i am going to look very ignorrant here but hell as long as it keeps me out of prison im happy :)

Now since ive been researching open carry i know there are states that require that the firearm be unloaded and any rounds must not be touching the firearm. And some states you can be in Condition 1. And i am 100% clueless on how you can be transporting a firearm in virginia. I normally just take it to the range and such in a case in the trunk. Im going to be getting into open carrying my pistol very soon and just want to know the laws before i go out with it holstered. So my questions are as follows. please help

2.) when driveing from point A to point B where can your firearm be in the vehicle and does it need to be unloaded?

First. Welcome to the forum.

Second, Before posting you should try the SEARCH function as your questions get asked over and over.

Third and a very brief answer. You can carry in Condition 1 and in plain sight if you don't have a permit.

Assod101

imported post

Thank you i find this forum very informative.

I tried the search but it gave me everything under the sun it seemed. Maybe i need to restrict the search a little ill try that. But thanks for the answer and ill go from their.

fizzer

imported post

First of all....Welcome.

To answer your question...

1) Your open carried handgun can be carried "cocked and locked". In virginia the ammo does not have to be separate. Kind of useless to carry an unloaded weapon.

2) While driving, the handgun does not have to be unloaded. It does have to be in plain sight from the outside of the vehicle. Most people take that as either passenger seat or dashboard.

curtiswr

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

1) Any you please. Ready to go is recommended. ;)

2) Holstered on your hip, in the passenger seat (although then open to sliding around and becoming accidentally hidden), holstered in a holster attached to the passenger seat belt. No need to be unloaded.

What area of Virginia are you in? Check the board regularly for meetings, dinners, lunches, etc.. in your area. Going to an OC dinner can be really helpful in getting comfortable with OC.

Be sure to sign up for the VA-ALERT and become a VCDL member!

http://www.vcdl.org/

Assod101

imported post

Just a heads up im the Stafford / Garrisionville area and everyone seems very helpfull and i think i will find the time for a dinner or something.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Assod101 wrote:

Welcome aboard. We don't want you to be in prison and if you have, we don't want you possessing a firearm (I suspect you're comment was tongue-in-cheek).

Virginia is the most lenient state in the South when it comes to the carrying of a defensive sidearm, open or concealed. I would advise you to get a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) for those times when you do happen to OC; either deliberately or by accident. However, open carry is the default, or normal, mode of carrying your sidearm here so you are good to go with this. As for laws regarding open carry in Virginia... there are none and that is why it is the norm.

If you do not have a CHP, you must either carry your firearm in the open when driving, on a seat or the dash where it is visible (not a smart thing to do), or enclosed in a carrying devise, unloaded. This will be changing on July 1st.

If you are out and about OC'ing, it is best to carry your firearm loaded and in battery. A defensive arm carried otherwise can be a hindrance if and when needed.

zoom6zoom

imported post

It does have to be in plain sight from the outside of the vehicle.

Where does this belief keep coming from? If I'm sitting in a restaurant booth it's not visible from the other side either. Somebody's gonna have to show me citation on this one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

Where does this belief keep coming from? If I'm sitting in a restaurant booth it's not visible from the other side either. Somebody's gonna have to show me citation on this one.
Right.

And if that were the case, then every time someone was turned in such a manner as to "hide" their firearm, they would be arrested for God knows what trumped up crap.

If you are in a vehicle and your gun is in a holster (example) and being carried in a non-concealed fashion, just because someone doesn't see it does not mean you are guilty of carrying concealed (assuming you have no permit). However, I seem to recall an LEO arguing this point a little.

Airilith

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

I believe it comes from here:

§18.2-308 -

Prohibits the carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind by any person hidden from common observance about his person. Any of the enumerated weapons shall be seized and forfeited to the Commonwealth. A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

Or at least I got that same understanding from that one. Let me know what you think!

curtiswr

imported post

Here we go again.

Sitting in a booth, standing next to a wall, sitting in a car, having your arm cover it briefly in the course of walking, etc... does not change the fact that the holster on your hip is being worn in such a fashion so as to openly carry a firearm.

Either agree to disagree or stop stressing about it so much.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Here we go again.

Sitting in a booth, standing next to a wall, sitting in a car, having your arm cover it briefly in the course of walking, etc... does not change the fact that the holster on your hip is being worn in such a fashion so as to openly carry a firearm.

+1

The carrier is not responsible for ensuring that everyone can see the gun from every angle at all times. Only that he is carrying it in a manner that is not hidden from common observation.

Where's that darn "head holster" that I keep saying I'm going to invent?

Airilith

imported post

Curtis wrote:
Here we go again.

Sorry! I wasn't stressing at all. Someone just asked where the belief came from.

I just thought I was helping ... :?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Airilith wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Here we go again.

Sorry! I wasn't stressing at all. Someone just asked where the belief came from.

Arilith don't worry about it, some have been fighting the belief that sitting in a car, booth etc. is concealed, and get a little touchey when it's brought up.

I sent you a PM with my cell number. Maybe we can meet in Onley or Onancock sometime and discuss issues.

John

Airilith

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Airilith wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Here we go again.

Arilith don't worry about it, some have been fighting the belief that sitting in a car, booth etc. is concealed, and get a little touchey when it's brought up.

I sent you a PM with my cell number. Maybe we can meet in Onley or Onancock sometime and discuss issues.

John

Lol! I must have accidentally stumbled into a battlefield. I will bow gracefully out of the controversy. I don't know enough to make much more of a contribution.

John, I sent you a PM back just now. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Assod101 wrote:

And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here

Keep your eyes on the Skyline and open carry!

Oh...condition 1 and loaded:p

All American Nightmare

imported post

I would suggest knowing the gun laws almost word for word, and being confident in your knowledge of those laws. A good book that explains them is the VA gun owners guide. At some, point LEOS will challenge you about being armed. LEOS will play word games, refuse to answer your questions, try to make you feel like you have to answerALL of there questions,and get upset If you challenge there authority. It is highly recommended that you carry a tape recorder whenever you are armed.