• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North County Times - California Sheriff candidates oppose Saldana's 'open carry' ban

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/article_b9de0e31-2431-5082-914c-506d03318e6c.html

SNIP

REGION: Sheriff candidates oppose 'open carry' ban
. . .

The two candidates sparring for the Riverside County sheriff post agree on one thing: Sacramento has better things to do than to ban people from carrying clearly visible handguns in public.

But that's exactly what a bill headed for a hearing Tuesday in the Assembly Public Safety Committee would do. The bill's author, Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, D-San Diego, is taking aim at a practice that is lawful in California as long as weapons are unloaded.

However, similar legislation has been shot down in recent years.

. . .

Saldana said it would be better if only law enforcement officers were permitted to publicly display firearms. Her Assembly Bill 1934 would make it illegal for everyone else to carry unloaded, exposed handguns in public places and on the street, both in cities and in unincorporated areas.

A violation would be a misdemeanor.

But the sheriff candidates say the proposal is unnecessary.

"I'm appalled," said Frank Robles of Riverside, a retired chief deputy with the Sheriff's Department.

"With all of the serious problems facing our politicians in Sacramento right now ---- the budget, not enough jails ... drugs, gangs, illegal immigration ---- and the best our politicians in Sacramento, the least this politician in Sacramento can do with her time and resources and money is come up with another ineffective law on gun control?" Robles said.

Sheriff Stan Sniff, Robles' opponent in the June 8 primary, said the legislation seems an "odd thing" to focus on when "they've got big fish to fry up there in getting their budget balanced."

Sniff, in a telephone interview Thursday, said he is more concerned about what he can't see than what he can.

"For most of us in law enforcement, the concealed carry that is unlawful is more of a direct threat," he said. "And the display of a firearm in a threatening manner is already, and has been for quite some time, against the law."

Under state law, only a small number of people who have obtained permits from a sheriff or police chief may carry around a hidden weapon. Sniff has said he is very cautious about whom he issues permits to. Robles has said he would expand the availability of permits.

As for the legislation to ban openly carrying weapons, Robles said the author is setting her sights on a problem that doesn't exist.

. . .

Sniff added that the practice of openly carrying weapons already is prohibited around courts and schools, and some cities have ordinances that ban it in other areas such as parks.

"We rarely get these types of firearms calls ---- open carry, unloaded," he said. "Most of our 'person with a gun' calls are involving fights, disturbances, robberies, assaults with a deadly weapon and other crimes of violence."

Robles maintained that Saldana's bill wouldn't make society any safer from violent crimes, were it to become law.

But he said it might lead to still more restrictions.

. . .

coolusername2007

imported post

Interesting story. I live in Riverside county and haven't heard a thing about Robles running for Sheriff, seems he's keeping a very low profile, especially with the election right around the corner. Sniff on the other hand has "re-elect" signs up already, but wait a second...he's never been elected, he was appointed.

In a nutshell, I'm voting for the one who promises to respect our 2A rights, stands up to the feds and all their BS guns regulations (especially after McDonald), and won't enforce and publicly denounces any 2A infringementsthe PRK tries to create post McDonald.

Sniff should know that city ordinances with gun prohibitions in parks are pre-empted by state law. Disappointing.

ETA: Oh, yeah it's a good thing they are coming out against AB1934. I emailed Sniff on the subjectbut never received a response. Again disappointing.

Two Percent

Banned
imported post

Once Bill Hunt becomes the next Orange County Sheriff, he has publicly stated that ANYONE who applies for a CCW will get one, as long as meet all the requirements.

I expect to legally carry my little compact 10+1 .45 auto, by Christmas.

Saldana is wasting her time.

hedlite

imported post

Damn, guess I'll have to move from Temecula to OC unless our sheriff adopts his attitude!

One can only hope.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/swcounty/article_b9de0e31-2431-5082-914c-506d03318e6c.html

SNIP

REGION: Sheriff candidates oppose 'open carry' ban
. . .

The two candidates sparring for the Riverside County sheriff post agree on one thing: Sacramento has better things to do than to ban people from carrying clearly visible handguns in public.

But that's exactly what a bill headed for a hearing Tuesday in the Assembly Public Safety Committee would do. The bill's author, Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, D-San Diego, is taking aim at a practice that is lawful in California as long as weapons are unloaded.

However, similar legislation has been shot down in recent years.

. . .

Saldana said it would be better if only law enforcement officers were permitted to publicly display firearms. Her Assembly Bill 1934 would make it illegal for everyone else to carry unloaded, exposed handguns in public places and on the street, both in cities and in unincorporated areas.

A violation would be a misdemeanor.

But the sheriff candidates say the proposal is unnecessary.

"I'm appalled," said Frank Robles of Riverside, a retired chief deputy with the Sheriff's Department.

"With all of the serious problems facing our politicians in Sacramento right now ---- the budget, not enough jails ... drugs, gangs, illegal immigration ---- and the best our politicians in Sacramento, the least this politician in Sacramento can do with her time and resources and money is come up with another ineffective law on gun control?" Robles said.

Sheriff Stan Sniff, Robles' opponent in the June 8 primary, said the legislation seems an "odd thing" to focus on when "they've got big fish to fry up there in getting their budget balanced."

Sniff, in a telephone interview Thursday, said he is more concerned about what he can't see than what he can.

"For most of us in law enforcement, the concealed carry that is unlawful is more of a direct threat," he said. "And the display of a firearm in a threatening manner is already, and has been for quite some time, against the law."

Under state law, only a small number of people who have obtained permits from a sheriff or police chief may carry around a hidden weapon. Sniff has said he is very cautious about whom he issues permits to. Robles has said he would expand the availability of permits.

As for the legislation to ban openly carrying weapons, Robles said the author is setting her sights on a problem that doesn't exist.

. . .

Sniff added that the practice of openly carrying weapons already is prohibited around courts and schools, and some cities have ordinances that ban it in other areas such as parks.

"We rarely get these types of firearms calls ---- open carry, unloaded," he said. "Most of our 'person with a gun' calls are involving fights, disturbances, robberies, assaults with a deadly weapon and other crimes of violence."

Robles maintained that Saldana's bill wouldn't make society any safer from violent crimes, were it to become law.

But he said it might lead to still more restrictions.

. . .
If you would have asked me 5 years ago if California would be more gun-friendly than Florida, I would have just laughed in your face.

But here it is.

hedlite

imported post

Law enforcement may be a bit friendlier but the politicians are certainly not!

After the Open Carry in SD had a meeting at a local Starbucks the "statists for lunch bunch" in Sacramento immediately penned AB1934 to ban open carry, it passed this past Tuesday but now needs to be voted on so all you Californians out there make sure you write these bone heads and politely express your outrage.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hedlite56 wrote:
politely express your outrage.
And maybe I should show them my wet fire?

I'm never going to understand you people.

Outrage is never taken seriously if it isn't outrageous!

If you aren't clearly bent out of shape, then you are obviously not that upset, and that means what you say can be safely ignored. If YOU don't really care, why would anyone else?

A little justified indignance shows you mean business and aren't afraid to break a few bullsh!t social rules to make the point. If something as small as etiquette can curb your interest, then it isn't much interest.

I can hold my breath until I turn blue, too.... I just don't see how it's useful.

When someone needs an ass kicking, allowing it to NOT happen is a sad thing; for they get away scott free. Someone has to do it instead of acting proper and letting it slide. Ugly things need doing, man up!

[/rant]

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I don't think the bill will pass. So far I've read articles about gun rights being a hot issue in Sheriff elections in 4 counties. We'll see if the Legislators are as wise on the issues as the sheriff candidates.

The writing on the wall has changed: respect our gun rights or GTFO.

There may be hope after all.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Listening to this interview I'm sick to mu stomach. Same old same old crap. Boththe LA Lt. and the women are full of it. She said something like I believe in gun rights but only to a few people like oh say LEOs.... Aaaaahhhhhh

And of course the party line of the LEO is, you will panic everyone and we will get a 1000 911 calls...blah, blah...

opencarryinmo

imported post

My thought is that anyone who attempts to pass more firearms laws to restrict the ownership, carrying concealed, open carry or any of the sorts is just plain wasting there time, now more than ever there needs to be laws passed all over the us to allow all law abiding citizens to carry a firearm openly in public.

If this was to take place the rate of crime will drop in the us buy like 300 percent.

plain and simple make a federal law that mandates all law abiding citizens must own a gun and must carry that gun at all times. that is just my thought on the issue.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

opencarryinmo wrote:
...plain and simple make a federal law that mandates all law abiding citizens must own a gun and must carry that gun at all times. that is just my thought on the issue.
This is where you lost me. I could not condone a law that would force someone to exercise a right.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
opencarryinmo wrote:
...plain and simple make a federal law that mandates all law abiding citizens must own a gun and must carry that gun at all times. that is just my thought on the issue.
This is where you lost me. I could not condone a law that would force someone to exercise a right.
+1

Someone needs to read up on the Zero Aggression Principle.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I have an idea.:idea:

Let's get a list together of Sheriffs and those running for Sheriff who do not support AB1934. We can publicize this list in opposition of this bill!

resonance

imported post

From where I stand, the next head sheriff of riverside county, calif, needs to be held accountable for protecting the constitution of the usa....A oath he swore when he became a cop...

sniff has repeatedly denyed the CCW to honest citizens, who want those RIGHTS to protect their families, no matter where they are at...

Robles says he will issue the CCW using self protection as just cause...He is a reasonable man...

They are both running for sheriff of riverside county in june 2010...

I will vote for Robles to see if he is all talk or can do the job...If he does not issue the CCW to us honest folks...he will follow sniff into the unemployment office when the next election comes.....

seems reasonable to me....

Mike