• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws of OC and a dog attack?

gunguy2009

imported post

Ok, I was at my mothers BBQ tonight and the neighbor has a large German Shepard that everyone knows is extremely mean. Why it hasnt been put down, I have
no idea. It has attacked before. we were all outside and this Dog came around the corner. There was my 2 yr old Daughter, a 2 yr old boy, and 6 adults.
We were all outside about 10 feet from where this Dog was. We ushered everyone inside without incident. Why it didnt attack was odd. It is Extremely aggresive

One time my mother opened her door and the Dog ran at her and a 3 yr old boy and she slammed the head of this snapping dog in the door trying not to let it inside the house.

Can i draw on a large growling dog that appears an attack is imminant? Can I draw and fire on a dog that is coming at me with intent do harm?

junkie

imported post

I am not sure legally what you could do, but in that situation I would not hesitate to shoot. I would rather have a pissed off neighbor than a tore up face or a dead kid.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OPEN FIRE !!!! Mean German Shepard, Pitt Bull, Beagle, etc... I love dogs & have one of my own, but aggressive dogs that threaten you or others including little kids......... get shot in my book. I will deal with the aftermath of my decision later but at leAST i WON'T BE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL OR A FUNERAL LATER....

Just ask the Green Bay PD what they do with bothersome dogs, the Green Bay PD kills family pets that are simply off their collars or walking too close to traffic & they use AR-15's :(

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
Ok, I was at my mothers BBQ tonight and the neighbor has a large German Shepard that everyone knows is extremely mean. Why it hasnt been put down, I have
no idea. It has attacked before. we were all outside and this Dog came around the corner. There was my 2 yr old Daughter, a 2 yr old boy, and 6 adults.
We were all outside about 10 feet from where this Dog was. We ushered everyone inside without incident. Why it didnt attack was odd. It is Extremely aggresive

One time my mother opened her door and the Dog ran at her and a 3 yr old boy and she slammed the head of this snapping dog in the door trying not to let it inside the house.

Can i draw on a large growling dog that appears an attack is imminant? Can I draw and fire on a dog that is coming at me with intent do harm?
It possibly did not attack because there were six adults and didn't like the odds.

But,

:p I wouldn't expect a dog to have much respect for being held at gunpoint.

There are local ordinances regarding animals running at large and dangerous animals. With this dog's history it's probably time to contact the authorities (or the neighbor) to make sure it stays leashed or otherwise confined so you can prevent having to use your gun. Deal with the owner one way or another. Dogs can't be blamed for acting like dogs, it's the owner's responsibility.

Unless the neighbor is a complete irrational jerk-- certainly a possibility-- they ought to share your interest in avoiding bloodshed, both human and canine.

Shooting an attacking dog isn't easy because of their speed, erratic movement and the proximity to innocents-- including yourself.

That said, certainly it's legal to defend against animal attack. As always, shooting ought to be the last resort.

Don't forget the wonderful effects of pepper spray.

Packer fan

imported post

My Dad ran into a problem when he lived in Plymouth township in Rock County. He had two German Shepherd attacking rabbits that he had in cages. He didn't know if he could shoot them or not and the Rock County Sheriff told him that the dogs had no business being on his land and they were doing damage shoot away. We lived outside of Hanover on Stuart Rd.

If this dog has a documented history of attacking and it is endangering you shoot, but, as I'm sure you would be, be careful and expect the neighbor to become unglued.

Does the Beloit, assuming that is where you were at the time, PD know about the dog? Again if the dog has a documented history you can sue the neighbor for any damages.

I was bit by a Shepherd andthe Rock County sheriff quarantined the dog and the owner had to pay for the doctor bills by law. All I told the Officer was that the dog chased me on my bikeevery time I road pastbut I could always make it down the hill before the dog could reach me, but this timeI was protecting my little sister who wasslower and the dog bit me.Iroad foranother5 miles around the country block just so I didn't have to go past the dog's house. If we didn't report the dog the hospital would have.

I do not have the law but Wi is strict when it comes to dogs.

Mlutz

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
OPEN FIRE !!!! Mean German Shepard, Pitt Bull, Beagle, etc... I love dogs & have one of my own, but aggressive dogs that threaten you or others including little kids......... get shot in my book. I will deal with the aftermath of my decision later but at leAST i WON'T BE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL OR A FUNERAL LATER....

Just ask the Green Bay PD what they do with bothersome dogs, the Green Bay PD kills family pets that are simply off their collars or walking too close to traffic & they use AR-15's :(
Pit only has 1 t... Also, the is no breed of dog named Pit Bull... Just an American Pit Bull Terrier... :D

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I am waiting for my buddy, goforlow, to come by and respond to this one. I could tell you what he told me, but I will let him put in his own words.

I had a very terrifying experience back when I was eight or nine. A country mile is a long detour for a scared little boy. I could not complete the detour. I encountered another dog along the way. I could not get home.

I grew up a little and at some point, I refused to be scared of dogs. I used anger to coquer fear. When I encounted a dog, I refused to be scared. Instead, I got pissed. If it was going to attack me, I was going rip its throat out.

Now, I approach every dog without fear. And I don't know why, but dogs that don't like anyone, like me.

Recently, I met goforlow's two purebreed german shepards and I was startled a bit.

Edited to add: Now that I am home I can add more. I cannot scroll a text box on my DROID. Now that I carry, I will do everything the same except keep one hand on the firearm. I have walked up to dogs that are barking fiercely, show no fear, read stance and body language(whatever you call it) and work to pet it. It works almost everytime.

qball54208

imported post

I have not read any Municipal Code that could/would give a Civilian any authority specifically dealing with "Dispatching" a dog. LEO, DNR & Sheriffs Deputies are the only ones who can lawfully do so. Not to say you should not reasonably defend you and yours!
If you do decide to do anything, follow the advice and actually have your Father talk to the neighbor. If that does not work, contact LEO and inform them that the dog has "Charged" you, that could establish a menacing animal complaint, which in most Municipalities is against the law. I know Green Bay has it in their Municipal Code. I have used it to verify a complaint and action was taken. See if your area has an Animal Control Officer and contact him/her.
Good luck and be safe.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Blow darts rubbed on the back of a poisonous frog work great!
Bufotoxin is common to most toads. Its composition and toxic effects vary among the species. Watch your dog to see if it's naive enough to mouth a toad, the effects when it does or that it's already tried it and didn't like it. Essentially all toads' skin slime is toxic.

GlocksRfun

imported post

I would think someone would have to begetting attacked to shoot. The pepper spray would probably be the "respnsible" way to go. Send the dog owner the bill for the pepper spray.

goforlow

imported post

ok, I will post...

I have two adult German Shepherds. One 85lbs and one 100lbs. When brokensprocket visited my house, I held my dogs by the collar when he approached my house. My dogs did bark at him (they didn't know him and he was at "their" house), I let the dogs go and they basicly ran past him like he didn't matter. Brokensprocket told me he was a bit concerned when I let them go, but he acted correctly, he ignored them, and they in turn ignored him.

I do not blame the dog for acting "like a dog". It is an owners responsibility to train and control their animals. That being said, if one of my dogs bite someone that they shouldn't, I will put a bullet in their head myself! I love my dogs like children, but I WILL NOT tolerate them biting! You break into my house or harm my wife or myself...You are fair game, and you will probably lose.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I have two dogs, One English Mastiff and is tipping the scale at 190 and one Neopolitan Mastiff that is tipping the sacel at 170.

Their size alone is a great deterrant. Since the Male Neo can break a cow feamer bone in half with a bite I would say that if you break in you get what you deserve.

Should you try to harm my 3 year old son it would be to your demise.

Now if they just grab you by the arm and throw you around the room, don't worry they are only playing. lol

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

curtilage - the enclosed land around a house or other building; "it was a small house with almost no yard"
grounds, yard
backyard - the grounds in back of a house

dooryard - a yard outside the front or rear door of a house

front yard - the yard in front of a house; between the house and the street

garden - a yard or lawn adjoining a house

playground - yard consisting of an outdoor area for children's play

side yard - the grounds at either side of a house

field - a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"

ok so i finally think i have you figured out. you like to throw out words so i can run to the dictionary and figure out what the hell you are talking about i have to stop reading your posts lol!

wrightme

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I grew up a little and at some point, I refused to be scared of dogs. I used anger to coquer fear. When I encounted a dog, I refused to be scared. Instead, I got pissed. If it was going to attack me, I was going rip its throat out.

Now, I approach every dog without fear. And I don't know why, but dogs that don't like anyone, like me.
That is why.

With predators, "show no fear."

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
To find moral equivalency among beasts and men is an obamanation leading to, such as, the legal inability to slaughter beef.
It's a debatable subject. Seen from another perspective, another conclusion, albeit unpopular, would be that if killing humans and other animals are morally equivalent, killing a human being is no more wrong than killing a steer.

Obviously even popular moral beliefs do not necessarily become codified in law and one can easily imagine a society that believes human and non-human animals have equal moral worth or rights and yet the law permits killing and eating non-human animals. That's because anything can arbitrarily be made into law, independent of moral beliefs.

M

McX

imported post

but round here your screwed no matter what. you 'smack' the doggie, and the d.a. can get you for discharing a firearm in the city, or county, i'd bet. dog gets his bite no matter what.