• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i open carry?

brohemo

imported post

Im turning 18 soon and i wanted to purchase a small handgun, 22 cal. I work in a gas station in Detroit, so i need this gun for personal protection. I have read about "Open Carry" online, but none of the websites give clear information on the requirements. Can i legally open carry at the age of 18? And if so what type of license would i need to acquire? Is open carry only legal if i apply and get a CCW?

RegalNC

imported post

brohemo wrote:
Im turning 18 soon and i wanted to purchase a small handgun, 22 cal. I work in a gas station in Detroit, so i need this gun for personal protection. I have read about "Open Carry" online, but none of the websites give clear information on the requirements. Can i legally open carry at the age of 18? And if so what type of license would i need to acquire? Is open carry only legal if i apply and get a CCW?

I would advise you to review information at the following link:

http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

Good luck, Stay Safe!

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Also, make sure your employer is okay with you having a gun at work. You would think a convenience store would be a no-brainer, but you never know. Wouldn't want you to be fired cause the boss noticed your protection.

OCinColorado

imported post

Welcome to the world of open carry.

Please go to the maps area on this site and click on the "Open Carry" map. Once there, click on your state. (this is the link given by RegalNC above) That would be a good beginning as to understanding the laws in your state. Also do an internet search for the gun laws in your state.

Please research the laws in your state for yourself.

Always remember that the act of carrying a firearm is taking on a very serious responsibility. By default you are taking on the responsibility to defend not only yourself, but all those unarmed citizens around you. Take not this responsibility lightly. If you wish to carry to look "tough" or just to feel like you "have something over everyone else", I admonish you, (and everyone else here for that matter) to PLEASE NOT carry. Ponder your motives for carrying, are they for self protection in an unsafe world, or are any other motive at play? Are you willing to behave in a manner that draws respect, or are you planning on behaving with arrogance and (excuse my wording here) ignorance? I am just pointing out that with the right to bear arms comes great responsibility. If you have in any way an infinity to use anger, and are not in control of your emotions in ALL settings, carrying may not be advisable. A sidearm is NOT a toy!

With all this said, I again welcome you to the world of open carry, and wish to say that if you are mentally prepared, and have great respect for the ramifications openly carrying holds, you will be a great asset to your community in practicing your 2nd amendment rights. I am 50 years old and have, on and off, carried openly since I was 18 in Arizona. Good luck and PLEASE be safe and carry yourself well in the public eye.

CraigC178

imported post

I'd consider buying something stronger than a 22. If you already had one and couldn't afford another gun I'd say that "its better than nothing". But since you are buying you can do it right the first time.

Leader

imported post

brohemo wrote:

If you are getting a handgun for personal protection, get something bigger then a .22. .380, 9mm, 38sp, or .40cal are all better then a .22.

Just a few spaces down, is the MI forums for open carry.

Yes you may open carry in MI at age 18. If you got a permit to purchase & the gun is registered in your name, that is all you need. You do not have to get a CPL. (We do not have CCW's in MI.)

There are some rules that you must follow, and you ARE NOT allowed to have a gun in a car unless it is unloaded & in the trunk.

Another place you can get information & help is http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php

Enjoy & welcome to the forums.