• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am researching talking points....

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

My sales pitch has gotten pretty good hanging around with Hubert, but I want to fine tune it.

Many of you may know, I am the lead organizer for the Open Carry Picinc / 2nd Ammendment Rally in Eau Claire on June 13. For more in formation, it is sticky here on the WI forum. I am planning to feed 500 people. A pdf flyer will be posted soon.

I will be giving one, maybe two talks.

Here are my questions.

When was the state preemption of local firearm ordinances passed into law?

When was 167.31 passed into law? Can anyone find infromation online as to its legislative intent?

hunter9mm

imported post

I found this portion, hope it's what you are looking for.....

http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=index&jd=constitution,%20wisconsin

Article I, §25
Right to keep and bear arms. Section 25. [As created Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. [1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

Scroll down on that link to the Article I, §25 portion.

I'll keep looking for the other part.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
When was the state preemption of local firearm ordinances passed into law?
66.0409 History: 1995 a. 72; 1999 a. 150 s. 260; Stats. 1999 s. 66.0409.

When was 167.31 passed into law?
167.31 History: 1985 a. 36; 1987 a. 27, 353; 1991 a. 77; 1993 a. 147; 1995 a. 122, 201; 1997 a. 248, 249; 1999 a. 32, 158; 2001 a. 8, 56, 90, 108; 2003 a. 33, 139, 326; 2005 a. 169, 253, 286, 345; 2007 a. 97.

Can anyone find infromation online as to its legislative intent?
http://library.law.wisc.edu/eresources/draftingrecords/index.html

Unfortunately the online records of Drafting Records go only to 1999. As you can see, § 167.31 dates from 1985 Act 36,

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/acts89-93/85Act36.pdf

but with no indication of intent.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/06wb10.pdf 750 KB 25 pages

STEP 3: REVIEW DRAFTING RECORDS

Drafting records may contain information regarding the intent of a legislator in introducing a bill. Drafting records are an administrative record of the bill drafting process. They are official records maintained by the drafting agency, the Legislative Reference Bureau (LRB), in systematic, uniform fashion. The maintenance of these records over decades has left us with a unique file for each bill introduced and act passed since 1927, with a few isolated exceptions.

Drafting records have a number of limitations, however, that often leave researchers disappointed. The main weakness of a drafting record in researching legislative history is that, as an administrative record, it is not designed to document intent. The drafting record is primarily designed to document that a bill has been drafted by the LRB in accordance with the instructions of a member of the legislature, and to facilitate the drafting of similar or identical proposals in the future. The resulting drafting file, more often that not, sheds little light on intent. The content of the records can vary considerably. The drafting file for a drafting request that was made in person or over the telephone is usually not very revealing. The drafting file for a drafting request that contains written documentation of the requester’s problem and proposed solution, together with the other background information, can be more revealing, but is far less common. Another weakness is that the arrangement and administrative nature of drafting records can make them daunting to use for researchers unfamiliar with them. It is easy for an inexperienced user to glance right past the revealing documents and focus on lesser items. Drafting records often require expert explanation or interpretation. This is why it is recommended that inexperienced researchers do their work at the LRB’s Theobald Legislative Library, w

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I might suggest looking up the hearings on these two laws, when they were still bills. Usually you can find the texts of the hearings and that should make clear the intent of the legisltors.