• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legally carry to work?

confused597

imported post

I used to drive to work and was able to lock my sidearm in my truckbut our office moved to downtown Seattle so now I either use the bus or light rail from Tukwila and haven't been carrying as I didn't want to carry into the workplace. This morning I was witness to a crime, nothing major, but one of the suspects is possibly part of a local gang. Concern for my and my roommate/coworkers safety I'd like to start carrying more than just my folding knife but is there anything illegal as pertaining to bringing a firearm into the work place? My company has no policy against weapons per the employee handbook and the building we are in does not have any signage stating that weapons are not allowed on the premises. Many of my coworkers know that I do often carry outside of work. I'm looking for answers straight and to the point, please no opinions just legalities. Thanks for any and all advice ahead of time.

Jared D.C.H.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as the bus or light rail, you need a CPL to carry loaded, same as any other vehicle. For your work, unless it is a school, federal building, post office, or prohibited place as listed in RCW 9.41.300,you should be fine. This is a case where concealed is probably a better option than open carry, unless you want to risk your employer establishing a policy prohibiting carry.

confused597

imported post

Got a CPL and I've carried on the rail and bus before. Was just really worried about work. Thank you very much for the info.

Jared

confused597

imported post

For an amazingly liberal place that I work in, they're very reasonable people. So long as it's ok legally I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. No company or building policies against it, just double checked. If they're not happy, I'm sure I'll reason with them.

Jared

Contrarian

imported post

In my opinion, the bigger concern will be how your employers take this: just because the Employee's Handbook doesn't mention this does not mean that someone won't call you on this. I've worked places where I've asked HR about this 'theoretically', and been jumped on by my boss the next day.

"Let's be careful out there.":exclaim:

fisheral87

imported post

Anyone ever gone to their Director/Manager or HR to try and communicate about it and find out the policy? Or have you found the default response to be a negative response?

Al

Metalhead47

imported post

confused597 wrote:
For an amazingly liberal place that I work in, they're very reasonable people. So long as it's ok legally I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. No company or building policies against it, just double checked. If they're not happy, I'm sure I'll reason with them.

Jared
IMHO in cases like this, discretion & a good concealment rig will serve you much better than reason. What they don't know, won't hurt you.:shock:

oldkim

imported post

DO NOT ASK!

Don't go to the HR or ANYONE. If there is no known policy don't make one.

Yes, conceal is your only option here. And as for concealed - it's concealed and it should stay that way. Don't even show it to anyone. If you want to show it off take it home.

Get your CPL - Concealed Pistol License. It's $55.25 if I remember right. Just do a quick search on getting your CPL in WA DOL.

So, you may want to look at alternative conceal carry (like a "briefcase" or other business attire, if that is more suitable for you). Whatever fits in is your best bet. Some look like day planners and so forth.

But don't ask your boss. No need to point the light on yourself. Concealed is blending in and not sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Matt85

imported post

oldkim wrote:
DO NOT ASK!

Yes, conceal is your only option here. And as for concealed - it's concealed and it should stay that way. Don't even show it to anyone. If you want to show it off take it home.

Get your CPL - Concealed Pistol License. It's $55.25 if I remember right. Just do a quick search on getting your CPL in WA DOL.

So, you may want to look at alternative conceal carry (like a "briefcase" or other business attire, if that is more suitable for you). Whatever fits in is your best bet. Some look like day planners and so forth.

But don't ask your boss. No need to point the light on yourself. Concealed is blending in and not sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl.
i dont agree with this statement... while its true if he mentions it, they might install a new rule. BUT, if he says and does nothing then it basically means the rule is just unspoken. (its there any ways)

i believe we cant move forward without taking some risks. when i worked for the AMPM corporation, i asked if i could carry a CCW while at work. they of course said no but then my manager simply told me "what people dont see or hear, cant offend them". so i carriedin "extra sneaky mode" till the employees and managers finally got used to the idea that i was carrying. it was a non-issue after a few months.

-matt

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

oldkim wrote:
DO NOT ASK!

+1

I have been down this road - DO NOT ASK! They will say no and make changes. Carry concealed in a manner that works for you. my company was ok with CC, I had a safe that I locked my weapon into every morning. We had a incident with a dumb ass who had to show his off and it ruined it for everyone. Now I am not allowed to even lock it in my vehicle in the garage.

Don't ask, just conceal....

oldkim

imported post

when i worked for the AMPM corporation, i asked if i could carry a CCW while at work. they of course said no but then my manager simply told me "what people dont see or hear, cant offend them". so i carriedin "extra sneaky mode" till the employees and managers finally got used to the idea that i was carrying. it was a non-issue after a few months.

-matt

So Matt, you know you could be fired since corporate told you no. You violated company policy and if anyone higher in the food chain found out you and yourmanager would of been called on the carpet for it (of course taking into consideration the circumstances of how they found out). I'm sure in the process the manager would of save their behind and denied any knowledge of their statement to you.

This is not a legal issue when it comes to this in regards to it being a criminal offense but it is a employee and employer policy. Meaning your job.

Just remember in larger organization there is always a boss over your boss and so forth. No large business is going to take on the additional liability of allowing you to have a firearm on business property. Just isn't a smart business move.All they will do is ask their complany attorney and they'll shoot it down as fastas they received it.

Most businesses have not addressed this issue so it's really a don't ask.... otherwise theymayhave to make a new policy about it. Once they do then you are out of luck. It becomes a part of your employment. Meaning if you like to work there and keep a job you have to follow their "rules." So long as it's not outlined in RCW (bars, federal building, etc) then it's legal to carry with a permit. This now becomes an employee / employer issue.

Hey, it's up to you and your relationship with your boss and the structure of your company. If your boss is the owner and he doesn't report to anyone else and he's good with it then that's fine and dandy. Most of us work for some larger organization and as anything that is large it goes to a committee or something and it's usually plays out on the "safe side."

Matt85

imported post

oldkim wrote:
when i worked for the AMPM corporation, i asked if i could carry a CCW while at work. they of course said no but then my manager simply told me "what people dont see or hear, cant offend them". so i carriedin "extra sneaky mode" till the employees and managers finally got used to the idea that i was carrying. it was a non-issue after a few months.

-matt

So Matt, you know you could be fired since corporate told you no. You violated company policy and if anyone higher in the food chain found out you and yourmanager would of been called on the carpet for it (of course taking into consideration the circumstances of how they found out). I'm sure in the process the manager would of save their behind and denied any knowledge of their statement to you.

This is not a legal issue when it comes to this in regards to it being a criminal offense but it is a employee and employer policy. Meaning your job.

Just remember in larger organization there is always a boss over your boss and so forth. No large business is going to take on the additional liability of allowing you to have a firearm on business property. Just isn't a smart business move.All they will do is ask their complany attorney and they'll shoot it down as fastas they received it.

Most businesses have not addressed this issue so it's really a don't ask.... otherwise theymayhave to make a new policy about it. Once they do then you are out of luck. It becomes a part of your employment. Meaning if you like to work there and keep a job you have to follow their "rules." So long as it's not outlined in RCW (bars, federal building, etc) then it's legal to carry with a permit. This now becomes an employee / employer issue.

Hey, it's up to you and your relationship with your boss and the structure of your company. If your boss is the owner and he doesn't report to anyone else and he's good with it then that's fine and dandy. Most of us work for some larger organization and as anything that is large it goes to a committee or something and it's usually plays out on the "safe side."
i like to remain alive, my job was dangerous. if you were given the choice between risking you life or risking your job, which would you take?

i worked graveyard shift in a area where gas stations are robbed on a regular basis. in fact while i wasworking there the storeswere robbed 4 times by thugs/junkies armed with things like tasers, hammers, baseball bats, and knives. (weve had two employees hospitalized)

as far as having a CCW at the work place... the onley reason you should be caught is if you are forced to defend yourself. that isunless you suck at concealing a gun OR you get searched at your work.

-matt

Lammo

imported post

oldkim wrote:
DO NOT ASK!

This would be a situation where "Don't ask, don't tell" would be the correct policy.

oldkim

imported post

Matt,

I think you missed my point. I'm not saying not to carry (legally with a CPL). I'm saying don't ask - especially if there is no policy in your workplace.

Like many have said here - it's concealed - keep it that way.

And if you ever readmy post I am very pro carry.

Believe me I would be hard pressed to find anyone more than I am. Not bragging but I put my money and myself on that point.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Me: "Boss, can I wearbikini briefsunder my work pants?"

Boss: "Well, I don't know, why would you ask that?"

Me: "Well, it's not illegal and....."

Boss: "Then I won't tell if you won't tell, but HR might have a problem with it, let me ask"

It's not illegal and none of anyone's business. Secure it properly.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

It's not illegal unless you work where it would be illegal for anyone to be armed (but it sounds like that's been covered before). The only thing that a company can do is fire you (but if you're still alive as a trade-off, that's better than being happily employed and dead).

I was in a similar situation at my work---no policy, but I didn't want to ask and get a "NO." So, I deep-concealed (Kahr MK9 in an ankle rig) everyday. No one knew and no one cared.On occasion, if I was going to be on the road, I would add a larger handgun in a strongside holster because I knew I wasn't going to be in close-proximity with my boss and co-workers where they might discover me printing, etc... and get suspicious.

So, this all changed three weeks ago when my boss and I ran out of the office to our parking lot to interrupt a car prowler (on a day that I was going to be leaving for Bellingham about 30 minutes later, so I hadmy Sig P220STwith me as well). Long story short, I ended up drawing because of the actions of the prowler, and my boss (who was two steps behind me during the whole thing)has said NOTHING about me "not supposed to have a gun, blah, blah..." In fact, his wife (the other owner) has asked me a couple times since the incident if I was "packin' today." And I have been most of the time, and answered honestly. I think that since that day, they see the benefit of having a pistolero around. I even open carry when I'm in our basement (no customer interaction there). No one's said anything.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

You are under no obligation to tell your employer. Question...do you tell your employer when you wear white sox and when you wear black sox? A CC handgun is just another article of clothing--that just happens to shoot lead but an article of clothing none-the-less.

If you ask your employer and they are anti-firearm then you are under the microscope at all times and you do not need the frustration all because of a simple right to carry question.

I would opt to not tell them...it is none of their business. Self-defense and personal safety preparedness is a personal choice and nobody has any business tell you how you are going to defend your life and limb.

I carry in places that I can legally carry but know that if they were aware they would create a policy or enforce a policy that I not be allowed to carry. I have not run into issues because they do not know that I am carrying--as it should be.