• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legally carry to work?

tony d tiger

imported post

"Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..."

If you're carrying legally, and there's no company policy against it - you're good. If you ask HR or a supervisor, you're only asking for trouble.

amlevin

imported post

For 20+ years I followed the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" philosophy for my carrying a firearm at work. I concealed it and didn't feel any compulsion to show it off to even my closest associates.

Rest assured that even though an Employee Handbook doesn't currently mention firearms at work, it most definitely will soon after someone asks about carrying at work. Companies do not see the potential benefit of having employees on their premises that are capable of defending themselves and possibly others, they only listen to their insurance carriers and lawyers who think that they might get sued. Human Life is not more valuable than their Corporate Profits. I'd love to see a company that has a restrictive policy regarding legal concealed carry sued for damages that put them out of business in the event that someone is killed on their premises in a situation where an employee was denied the right of self defense.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

For the last few months of my employment of my most recent employer (I quit for school), I carried a G23 every shift in an IWB holster and nobody noticed at all. Conversations somehow got brought up about carrying at work, and a couple stories got told of employees from other stores being fired for carrying, and that being fired was guaranteed even for carrying pepper spray. Then they got into horror stories of the 84th and Pacific Ave area of Tacoma. Yet they never asked if I carried at work or searched me. The head boss seemed pretty anti self protection though.

I always thought "Better to be alive and unemployed, dead men can't work."

amzbrady

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
For the last few months of my employment of my most recent employer (I quit for school), I carried a G23 every shift in an IWB holster and nobody noticed at all. Conversations somehow got brought up about carrying at work, and a couple stories got told of employees from other stores being fired for carrying, and that being fired was guaranteed even for carrying pepper spray. Then they got into horror stories of the 84th and Pacific Ave area of Tacoma. Yet they never asked if I carried at work or searched me. The head boss seemed pretty anti self protection though.

They better not dream of trying to search you. They would be better off legally, headbutting a beehive.

Metalhead47

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:

They better not dream of trying to search you. They would be better off legally, headbutting a beehive.
I dunno about that, private property & all that, plus there might even be something about it in the employee handbook. I know in my case, even being union, it's specifically stated in the SOP that our persons & lockers can be searched, with a deputy & shop steward present.

amzbrady

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:

I dunno about that, private property & all that, plus there might even be something about it in the employee handbook. I know in my case, even being union, it's specifically stated in the SOP that our persons & lockers can be searched, with a deputy & shop steward present.
Lockers yeah, persons no unless your on a govt contract. At least from everything I seen, cant even detain you. Only proper authority.

TheJeepster

imported post

Here's a good question. So OC or CPL is legal in public facilities with exception of those where it is expressly prohibited (court rooms, jails, etc..)

What are the rules regarding state employees carrying while at work (not to include lawful enforcement types). I looked around in some union information or through Dept of Personnel and didn't find anything.

It's probably legal, but that doesn't mean it's permissible for employees through employment contracts.

Anyone know the answer?

oldkim

imported post

So as a state worker. I'm assuming there is some employee policy but again if there isn't don't need to be the first..... to make one.

OC is clearly out. It may be "Legal" but not in the eyes of your employer which means your JOB.... meaning you may not have one.

Concealed with CPL- if no one knows that is how you want to keep it. Don't go showing "anyone" I don't care how good friends you are.

Metalhead47

imported post

TheJeepster wrote:
Here's a good question. So OC or CPL is legal in public facilities with exception of those where it is expressly prohibited (court rooms, jails, etc..)

What are the rules regarding state employees carrying while at work (not to include lawful enforcement types). I looked around in some union information or through Dept of Personnel and didn't find anything.

It's probably legal, but that doesn't mean it's permissible for employees through employment contracts.

Anyone know the answer?
Legal? Yes. Permitted? Doubt it. I think there was a legal case not to long ago against KC Metro about just this. Decision was that the state can still ban possession of firearms while acting as an employer. So you couldn't be arrested, but you could (probably would) be fired. Very, very few people are fortunate enough to work somewhere where they can "openly" (not necessarily open) carry without repercussions.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

It's not illegal, do what you want, just don't tell anyone.

Same as if your employer banned tattoos or ear gauges, they're not illegal to have but you can be fired for not following company policy.

What they don't know doesn't hurt them.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

AM/PM are franchises that I know of. I do work for the owner of several AM/PM up and down our coast. He allows me to carry openly in his stores even while working. He was laughing one day , said had several customers wondering why the cop was doing construction work.