Thread: The Record Searchlight - Dangers of open carry exist only in its opponents' imagination

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr...ial_open_carry

SNIP

Gun bill overreacts to an overreaction
    April 23, 2010

Second Amendment advocates have held a series of provocative events in the past few months to protest what they see as an erosion of their right to keep and bear arms.

And, as if on cue, liberals in the state Assembly are working hard to prove them right.

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, a Democrat from San Diego, introduced a bill early this month that would ban handgun owners from openly carrying holstered, unloaded firearms, as state law has long allowed. This week it passed the Assembly Public Safety Committee

. . .

That said, so far the dangers of the “open carry” crowd exist only in their opponents’ imagination. The protests — while ill-mannered and intimidating to many — have peacefully made a political statement, and Saldana’s reaction only proves their point that the 2nd Amendment is under siege.

It’s also an all-too-typical example of legislating by headline. Saldana’s bill, AB 1934, is not a well-considered law to a address pressing public safety problem, but a knee-jerk response to a few news stories and the surrounding hullabulloo.

. . .

Post imported post

Outstanding-... this is my local newspaper. Its pretty gratifying that there are media outlets that recognize what is going on here is an improper reaction to lawful, peaceable conduct.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr...ial_open_carry

SNIP

Gun bill overreacts to an overreaction
    April 23, 2010

Second Amendment advocates have held a series of provocative events in the past few months to protest what they see as an erosion of their right to keep and bear arms.

And, as if on cue, liberals in the state Assembly are working hard to prove them right.

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, a Democrat from San Diego, introduced a bill early this month that would ban handgun owners from openly carrying holstered, unloaded firearms, as state law has long allowed. This week it passed the Assembly Public Safety Committee

. . .

That said, so far the dangers of the “open carry” crowd exist only in their opponents’ imagination. The protests — while ill-mannered and intimidating to many — have peacefully made a political statement, and Saldana’s reaction only proves their point that the 2nd Amendment is under siege.

It’s also an all-too-typical example of legislating by headline. Saldana’s bill, AB 1934, is not a well-considered law to a address pressing public safety problem, but a knee-jerk response to a few news stories and the surrounding hullabulloo.

. . .
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    Outstanding-... this is my local newspaper. Its pretty gratifying that there are media outlets that recognize what is going on here is an improper reaction to lawful, peaceable conduct.
    Did you read the article I did. The author is telling people to stop OCing because we might lose the right. Not outstanding in my opinion.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

It's interesting that the anti's say that guns are for killing. I agree. If you intend to do violence to me or mine, my intentionsare to kill you. I consider it my responsibility to help clean up the gene pool. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    ConditionThree wrote:
    Did you read the article I did. The author is telling people to stop OCing because we might lose the right. Not outstanding in my opinion.
    I have to agree with Venator, while the article was "bashing" the Saldana legislation, it also was advocating that people don't exercise their RIGHT or it could be taken away. I then propose that if that is the case, it wouldn't be a RIGHT.

BAD ARTICLE for gun rights but it does bash Saldana.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

Yes, after reading through it, it appears to be a snarky 'stop or you will get what you deserve' warning.

New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    It's interesting that the anti's say that guns are for killing. I agree. If you intend to do violence to me or mine, my intentionsare to kill you. I consider it my responsibility to help clean up the gene pool. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
    Hmmmm Mike Rowe is always looking for new ideas........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)