• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Record Searchlight - Dangers of open carry exist only in its opponents' imagination

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr/23/no-headline---editorial_open_carry

SNIP

Gun bill overreacts to an overreaction
April 23, 2010

Second Amendment advocates have held a series of provocative events in the past few months to protest what they see as an erosion of their right to keep and bear arms.

And, as if on cue, liberals in the state Assembly are working hard to prove them right.

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, a Democrat from San Diego, introduced a bill early this month that would ban handgun owners from openly carrying holstered, unloaded firearms, as state law has long allowed. This week it passed the Assembly Public Safety Committee

. . .

That said, so far the dangers of the “open carry” crowd exist only in their opponents’ imagination. The protests — while ill-mannered and intimidating to many — have peacefully made a political statement, and Saldana’s reaction only proves their point that the 2nd Amendment is under siege.

It’s also an all-too-typical example of legislating by headline. Saldana’s bill, AB 1934, is not a well-considered law to a address pressing public safety problem, but a knee-jerk response to a few news stories and the surrounding hullabulloo.

. . .

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Outstanding-... this is my local newspaper. Its pretty gratifying that there are media outlets that recognize what is going on here is an improper reaction to lawful, peaceable conduct.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr/23/no-headline---editorial_open_carry

SNIP

Gun bill overreacts to an overreaction
April 23, 2010

Second Amendment advocates have held a series of provocative events in the past few months to protest what they see as an erosion of their right to keep and bear arms.

And, as if on cue, liberals in the state Assembly are working hard to prove them right.

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, a Democrat from San Diego, introduced a bill early this month that would ban handgun owners from openly carrying holstered, unloaded firearms, as state law has long allowed. This week it passed the Assembly Public Safety Committee

. . .

That said, so far the dangers of the “open carry” crowd exist only in their opponents’ imagination. The protests — while ill-mannered and intimidating to many — have peacefully made a political statement, and Saldana’s reaction only proves their point that the 2nd Amendment is under siege.

It’s also an all-too-typical example of legislating by headline. Saldana’s bill, AB 1934, is not a well-considered law to a address pressing public safety problem, but a knee-jerk response to a few news stories and the surrounding hullabulloo.

. . .

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Outstanding-... this is my local newspaper. Its pretty gratifying that there are media outlets that recognize what is going on here is an improper reaction to lawful, peaceable conduct.
Did you read the article I did. The author is telling people to stop OCing because we might lose the right. Not outstanding in my opinion.

Gundude

imported post

It's interesting that the anti's say that guns are for killing. I agree. If you intend to do violence to me or mine, my intentionsare to kill you. I consider it my responsibility to help clean up the gene pool. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

We-the-People

imported post

Venator wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Did you read the article I did. The author is telling people to stop OCing because we might lose the right. Not outstanding in my opinion.

I have to agree with Venator, while the article was "bashing" the Saldana legislation, it also was advocating that people don't exercise their RIGHT or it could be taken away. I then propose that if that is the case, it wouldn't be a RIGHT.

BAD ARTICLE for gun rights but it does bash Saldana.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Gundude wrote:
It's interesting that the anti's say that guns are for killing. I agree. If you intend to do violence to me or mine, my intentionsare to kill you. I consider it my responsibility to help clean up the gene pool. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Hmmmm Mike Rowe is always looking for new ideas........