• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

STOP California Assembly Bill 1934 (Ban on Open Carry)!!!!!!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hearing date is tomorrow, get those letters in!

Here's mine:

As members of the appropriations committee you should be aware that AB 1934 is an infringement of Californian's second amendment rights and will be challenged in courts as soon as McDonald v. Chicago is ruled upon by the Supreme Court. Open carriers have been nothing but model citizens, and Assemblywoman Saldana and my representative Assemblyman Ammiano have been misleading the public and their fellow representatives about the facts behind open carry. Please do not succumb to the fear mongering that Saldana has perpetrated amongst the capitol. Please do not put weight behind her nonsensical cries of, "think of the children" when not a single child has been involved in even receiving a harsh glance by an open carrier. Question her about the supposed facts that she spouts without any evidence and the truth will be revealed.

Please vote to protect law abiding citizens, please vote to protect all of our rights, please vote NO on AB 1934,
<name>

imported post

WE NEED TO HAVE A BIG OPEN CARRY MOVEMENT IN THE HART OF LOSANGELES AND SAN DIEGO JUST LIKE THEY HAVE A CANCER WALK WE NEED A VERY BIG OPEN CARRY WALK :X

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

SMamp;M 9mm Open Carry wrote:
WE NEED TO HAVE A BIG OPEN CARRY MOVEMENT IN THE HART OF LOSANGELES AND SAN DIEGO JUST LIKE THEY HAVE A CANCER WALK WE NEED A VERY BIG OPEN CARRY WALK :X
I completely disagree. Instead of gathering those who support exposed carry at one event where the media and the legislature can scrutinize every occurance of 2A stereotype, I would say that individuals should carry as a part of their regular activities. And if there must be some collective action, it should be coordinated on the same day, but notin onelocation and certainly not in a group.

johndux13

imported post

The assembly appropriations committee passed the bill and is now moving to the floor of the assembly to be voted on.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

SMamp;M 9mm Open Carry wrote:
Well it looks like theydeleted are emails and are not listening to our phone calls theytake this matter as a big joke.

They may have deleted our e-mails and have disregarded our phone calls, but I am certain that they take their stand against the Constitution very seriously. Because the urban population is so inurred, they will continue supporting those who scoff at the limitations set forth in our founding document- And why shouldnt they? The politicians they support give freely of the public treasury, indulging their constituency in social giveaways and make promises of prosperity, security and safety under their watch.

The only way to break this cycle is to be the both the deterent and set the example. We must demonstrate our independence and social responsibility without the aid of an intrusive government... We must be the government we surely deserve. We should be unseating those who have abandoned the Constitution and their oath to uphold it and installing in their place humble servants of liberty, whose first duty is not to create more law, but to thwart tyranny.

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

me and other members of BAOC letter, email, and phone bombed the committee and yet nothing happened. at this stage we gotta focus on the senate. i believe the senate floor, democrats outnumber republicans. therefore we gotta find a way to get enough of us OC'ers to hit national publicity in opposition. i think thats our best fight. if you truly care about your second amendment rights then we gotta band and fight on a level that will make these dirty politicians see we are serious about our rights. watch the video on the hearing and see how the faces of the committee members. the laughs, the scoffs, the sour faces as us in opposition tried to speak. I say we gotta play dirty like how the politicians do to each other on TV; however its us finding dirt on them.

steele

imported post

WOW! They are really serious about taking away our gun rights!!

I had been busy working the last few days (what nerve) and just confirmed it had been passed in Committee. The House website's update doesn't say it is being referred to another committee, as it had before, so I would have to agree it is heading to the House floor. Take note of the 'Ayes'

Code:
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE	:  A.B. No. 1934
AUTHOR(S)	:  Saldana and Ammiano.
TOPIC	:  Firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION	:  ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE  :  04/28/2010

TYPE OF BILL :  
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  05/13/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  From committee:  Do pass.  (Ayes 11. Noes  5.) (May
12).
FILE	:  ASM SECOND READING
FILE DATE	:  05/17/2010
ITEM	:	31

COMM. LOCATION	:  ASM APPROPRIATIONS
COMM. ACTION DATE   :  05/12/2010
[b]COMM. ACTION	:  Do pass.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY  :  Ayes:   11	Noes: 05	PASS[/b]

TITLE	:  An act to amend Sections 7574.14 and 7582.2 of the
Business and Professions Code, and to amend Sections
626.9, 12001, 12025, 12026, 12026.2, and 12590 of, and
to add Section 12037 to, the Penal Code, relating to
firearms.

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE:	AB 1934
AUTHOR:	Saldana
TOPIC:	Firearms.
DATE:	05/12/2010
[b]MOTION:	Do pass.
(AYES  11. NOES   5.)  (PASS)[/b]

[b]AYES
****[/b]
[b]
Fuentes	Ammiano	Bradford	Coto
Davis	Hill	Hall	Skinner
Solorio	Torlakson	Torrico[/b]

NOES

Conway	Harkey	Miller	Nielsen
Norby

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Charles Calderon

steele

imported post

WOW! They are really serious about taking away our gun rights!!

I had been busy working the last few days (what nerve) and just confirmed it had been passed in Committee. The House website's update doesn't say it is being referred to another committee, as it had before, so I would have to agree it is heading to the House floor. Take note of the 'Ayes'

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 1934
AUTHOR(S) : Saldana and Ammiano.
TOPIC : Firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 04/28/2010

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 05/13/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION : From committee: Do pass. (Ayes 11. Noes 5.) (May
12).
FILE : ASM SECOND READING
FILE DATE : 05/17/2010
ITEM : 31

COMM. LOCATION : ASM APPROPRIATIONS
COMM. ACTION DATE : 05/12/2010
COMM. ACTION : Do pass.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY : Ayes: 11 Noes: 05 PASS

TITLE : An act to amend Sections 7574.14 and 7582.2 of the
firearms.

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 1934
AUTHOR: Saldana
TOPIC: Firearms.
DATE: 05/12/2010
MOTION: Do pass.
(AYES 11. NOES 5.) (PASS)

AYES

Fuentes Ammiano Bradford Coto
Davis Hill Hall Skinner
Solorio Torlakson Torrico

NOES

Conway Harkey Miller Nielsen
Norby

Charles Calderon

steele

imported post

It is being read on the House Floor!!!!!!!!!! Contact and direct your Assembly Representatives to vote AGAINST A.B. 1934!

Code:
CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :  
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  05/17/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  Read second time.  To third reading.
FILE	:  ASM THIRD READING
FILE DATE	:  05/19/2010
ITEM	:	73

COMM. ACTION	:  Do pass.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY  :  Ayes:   11	Noes: 05	PASS

firearms.

steele

imported post

It is being read on the House Floor!!!!!!!!!! Contact and direct your Assembly Representatives to vote AGAINST A.B. 1934!

Code:
CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :  
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  05/17/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  Read second time.  To third reading.
FILE	:  ASM THIRD READING
FILE DATE	:  05/19/2010
ITEM	:	73

COMM. ACTION	:  Do pass.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY  :  Ayes:   11	Noes: 05	PASS

firearms.

steele

imported post

Here are some constitutional arguments to be used, when contacting your State representative. Feel free to add any others!

PREFACE: By law, every State legislator, judge, police officer..."all public officers and employees" are required to swear an Oath, to "defend the Constitution", State or Federal, before being granted a government position of power (U.S. Constitution Article VI, Section 3; and California State Constitution Article XX, Section 3). Also, no statute (potential law) may violate either the U.S. or State constitution: one that does, can be considered null and void (U.S. Constitution Article VI, Section 2; upheld by Supreme Court rulings)

o "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed (U.S. Constitution, 2nd Amendment)." "Rights guaranteed by this [California] Constitution are not dependent on those guaranteed by the United States Constitution...This declaration of rights may not be construed to impair or deny others retained by the people (California Constitution, Article I, Section 24)."
- My interpretation: This law clearly bars ANY infringement of a citizen's right to bear arms - this restriction, is not specific to the Federal government so it is clearly a GENERAL prohibition, to include State governments.
o "No State shall...deprive any person of life, liberty, or property (U.S. Constitution, 14th Amendment)." "All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and DEFENDING life and liberty, acquiring possessing and PROTECTING property...(California State Constitution, Article I, Section I)."
- My interpretation: Infringing on our right to bear arms, deprives a citizen the capacity to defend their life, liberty, or property, effectively depriving them of it. To do so, would be a violation of a person's inalienable right to defend their life, liberty, and property.
o "No State shall...deny any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws (U.S. Constitution, 14th Amendment)." "A citizen or class of citizens may not be granted privileges or immunities not granted on the same terms to all citizens. Privileges or immunities granted by the Legislature may be altered or revoked. (California State Constitution, Article I, Section 7, Clause b)
- My interpretation: A.B. 1934 presumes to protect private (corporate) security guards and police' rights to defend themselves, while excluding this protection to all other citizens. This law would deny any person who does not work in the capacity of a private security guard or police, equal protection of their right to bear arms. It would also be granting a special "privilege" to a specific class of citizens...based upon the (dubious) premise that the right to bear arms is a "privilege" of being a U.S. and Californian citizen.

steele

imported post

Here are some constitutional arguments to be used, when contacting your State representative. Feel free to add any others!

PREFACE: By law, every State legislator, judge, police officer..."all public officers and employees" are required to swear an Oath, to "defend the Constitution", State or Federal, before being granted a government position of power (U.S. Constitution Article VI, Section 3; and California State Constitution Article XX, Section 3). Also, no statute (potential law) may violate either the U.S. or State constitution: one that does, can be considered null and void (U.S. Constitution Article VI, Section 2; upheld by Supreme Court rulings)

o "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed (U.S. Constitution, 2nd Amendment)." "Rights guaranteed by this [California] Constitution are not dependent on those guaranteed by the United States Constitution...This declaration of rights may not be construed to impair or deny others retained by the people (California Constitution, Article I, Section 24)."
- My interpretation: This law clearly bars ANY infringement of a citizen's right to bear arms - this restriction, is not specific to the Federal government so it is clearly a GENERAL prohibition, to include State governments.
o "No State shall...deprive any person of life, liberty, or property (U.S. Constitution, 14th Amendment)." "All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and DEFENDING life and liberty, acquiring possessing and PROTECTING property...(California State Constitution, Article I, Section I)."
- My interpretation: Infringing on our right to bear arms, deprives a citizen the capacity to defend their life, liberty, or property, effectively depriving them of it. To do so, would be a violation of a person's inalienable right to defend their life, liberty, and property.
o "No State shall...deny any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws (U.S. Constitution, 14th Amendment)." "A citizen or class of citizens may not be granted privileges or immunities not granted on the same terms to all citizens. Privileges or immunities granted by the Legislature may be altered or revoked (California State Constitution, Article I, Section 7, Clause b)."
- My interpretation: A.B. 1934 presumes to protect private (corporate) security guards and police' rights to defend themselves, while excluding this protection to all other citizens. This law would deny any person who does not work in the capacity of a private security guard or police, equal protection of their right to bear arms. It would also be granting a special "privilege" to a specific class of citizens...based upon the (dubious) premise that the right to bear arms is a "privilege" of being a U.S. and Californian citizen.​

steele

imported post

UPDATE: A.B. 1934 is being read on House Floor. Based upon Vote to approve the third reading, over 60% of the Assembly may support this Bill! Red Alert!!!

Code:
UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
DATE:	06/01/2010
MOTION:	AB 1934 SALDANA  Assembly Third Reading
(AYES  46. NOES  30.)  (PASS)

AYES

Ammiano	Arambula	Bass	Beall
Block	Blumenfield	Bradford	Brownley
Buchanan	Charles Calderon	Carter	Chesbro
Coto	Davis	De La Torre	De Leon
Eng	Evans	Feuer	Fong
Fuentes	Furutani	Hall	Hayashi
Hernandez	Hill	Huffman	Jones
Lieu	Bonnie Lowenthal	Ma	Monning
Nava	V. Manuel Perez	Portantino	Ruskin
Salas	Saldana	Skinner	Solorio
Swanson	Torlakson	Torres	Torrico
Yamada	John A. Perez

NOES

Adams	Anderson	Bill Berryhill	Blakeslee
Caballero	Conway	Cook	DeVore
Emmerson	Fletcher	Fuller	Gaines
Galgiani	Garrick	Gilmore	Hagman
Harkey	Huber	Jeffries	Knight
Logue	Miller	Nestande	Niello
Nielsen	Norby	Silva	Smyth
Tran	Villines

Tom Berryhill	Mendoza	Audra Strickland	Vacancy

steele

imported post

UPDATE: A.B. 1934 is being read on House Floor. Based upon Vote to approve the third reading, over 60% of the Assembly may support this Bill! Red Alert!!!

Code:
UNOFFICIAL BALLOT

AYES

Coto	Davis	De La Torre	De Leon
Eng	Evans	Feuer	Fong
Fuentes	Furutani	Hall	Hayashi
Hernandez	Hill	Huffman	Jones
Lieu	Bonnie Lowenthal	Ma	Monning
Nava	V. Manuel Perez	Portantino	Ruskin
Salas	Saldana	Skinner	Solorio
Swanson	Torlakson	Torres	Torrico
Yamada	John A. Perez

NOES

Adams	Anderson	Bill Berryhill	Blakeslee
Caballero	Conway	Cook	DeVore
Emmerson	Fletcher	Fuller	Gaines
Galgiani	Garrick	Gilmore	Hagman
Harkey	Huber	Jeffries	Knight
Logue	Miller	Nestande	Niello
Nielsen	Norby	Silva	Smyth
Tran	Villines

Tom Berryhill	Mendoza	Audra Strickland	Vacancy

scottmccomas

imported post

I got a flyer in the mail on Saturday from Senator Joe Simitian. (11th district) It says he will be conducting two "sidewalk Office Hours":

saturday June 12th @ willow glen farmer's market 10:00am -11:30pm

Sunday June 13th @ Campbell farmer's market. 10:00am -11:30pm

You can bet I will be there to express my views on AB1934 I recommend anyone else with a vested interest in their right to carry, visit him as well.

steele

imported post

Traitors in the California Assembly have passed A.B. 1934! This fight, to preserve the right to bear arms in California, is now in the Senate. Don't forget to take note of those who voted FOR this ban and RECALL or VOTE them out!!!!!!!

Code:
UNOFFICIAL BALLOT

AYES